Menu

What would you call this style of homeschooling?

praisefor3

I'll just use this year's curriculum for just one child for an example:

VP Bible, MOH, Rod and Staff grammar (not much this year but will go back to it), LLATL, WWE, Sonlight Science, Singapore Math, Character.

We tried Latin a couple years ago but were dropouts. I like the idea but don't have the initiative to tackle it.

Does this list help decipher what we are?

The poll had me thinking about this. I've read WTM and Trivium info. I liked a lot of what I read. But each year my curriculum choices have been based on tons of reading, comparing, deciphering our needs and lots of prayer! Every year I have been very happy with all our choices...except, as I mentioned, we dropped out of latin but I don't think that was the curriculum's fault! I like what my kids are learning...but what are we???? My oldest is a senior and has been hsing since 9th grade. We have stayed a little more traditional with her because of her original education but she has done fantastic with Saxon (calculus this year) and Apologia (physics now) and a mix of other things. But what are we??? I like to say classical but I'm aware as anyone that we aren't exactly that. I just don't know what! :001_huh:

Well, if the one asking is not a homeschooler, I say Classical or "literature-based". Traditional homeschoolers either use all workbooks or school text books and in my mind... that does not fit. But if the person asking is a homeschooler it is a hard question to answer as so many are "picky" about how they use certain labels (esp. Classical).

Of course there are those who claim TWTM is not classical. I must admit, I do not know what Neo-classical means in the slightest... though I see it thrown around on these boards a lot. Anyone care to explain or provide a link?

The poll had me thinking about this. I've read WTM and Trivium info. I liked a lot of what I read. But each year my curriculum choices have been based on tons of reading, comparing, deciphering our needs and lots of prayer! Every year I have been very happy with all our choices...except, as I mentioned, we dropped out of latin but I don't think that was the curriculum's fault! I like what my kids are learning...but what are we???? My oldest is a senior and has been hsing since 9th grade. We have stayed a little more traditional with her because of her original education but she has done fantastic with Saxon (calculus this year) and Apologia (physics now) and a mix of other things. But what are we??? I like to say classical but I'm aware as anyone that we aren't exactly that. I just don't know what! :001_huh:

I would define classical as teaching based on the three stages of learning: the Grammar stage, the Logic stage, and the Rhetoric stage. As well as infusion of Latin/Greek, and the Great Books.

Neo-Classial is defined as, " literature of classical revival, relating to or characteristic of the European revival of Greek and Roman literary forms basically Classical without Latin, or Greek taught as a language, more of a focus on the Literature part of classical education.

I think I use different approaches with different kids at times. It's not so much what you use as much as how you use it. I tend to use a more "relaxed" CM style method on my oldest, with an emphasis on a unit study for my ds and a traditional on my youngest dd. All the curriculum put together would look eclectic but I teach Great Books, heavy emphasis on Literature, Latin and Spanish as well as lots of memorization for the Grammar Stage, I pretty much teach to the Trivium. I buy a hodge-podge of stuff, I just call it "working":001_smile:

Neo-classical education is based on Dorothy Sayers' "The Lost Tools of Learning," and its distinctive keynote is the Trivium as stages of learning. It typically centers on the chronological study of history and emphasizes reading many Great Books beginning in middle school. Latin is recommended, but primarily as a vehicle for understanding grammar and vocabulary in English. SWB has described TWTM as neo-classical; Veritas Press, the Bluedorns, and most if not all of the ACCS schools are neo-classical.

Traditional classical education centers on the classical languages and literatures. It typically includes extensive study of Latin and Greek, including reading works in those languages. When you hear about people before WWII getting "a classical education" - including Dorothy Sayers herself - this emphasis on Latin and Greek is what they were referring to. Memoria Press is the primary proponent of this type of education today. You also see a certain tendency in this direction from CiRCE and from some of the NAPCIS schools, particularly those influenced by Ignatian ideas.

HTH!

See now, when I hear "traditional," I think Abeka or BJU, or textbook/workbook style for all (or most) subjects, including history. That's not you.

"Literature-based" definitely fits, given the Sonlight and LLATL. You may also have Charlotte Mason leanings, but I can't tell for sure!

I would call it a traditional, rigorous curriculum, perhaps neoclassical, yes.

I would call it "eclectic, semi-classical" - but I have all sorts of homemade labels I toss out when talking to homeschoolers, such as

do-the-next-thing homeschooling

WTMish

Latin and history-based

and my favorite:

sorta classical

I might add that in my state with the influx of public school systems enrolling formerly homeschooled students into alternative education programs designed for former homeschoolers, I am using phrases like: independent homeschoolers, legal homeschoolers or traditional homeschooling...

:()

Of course there are those who claim TWTM is not classical. I must admit, I do not know what Neo-classical means in the slightest... though I see it thrown around on these boards a lot. Anyone care to explain or provide a link?

I have read SWB saying somewhere that all modern interpretations of Classical are neo-Classical. Whether she would include Drew's approach in that, I am not sure. It's all debatable, although I know the Latin Centred approach that Drew has designed is "traditional classical", its still "neo" in the sense that it uses modern books and is another approach which is another "new" approach, although it tries to be more truly "classical" in the traditional sense.

As for the OP, I am not sure I would call it classical- more traditional or eclectic. Classical is a lot more than a booklist, though, so a mere booklist doesnt really show enough to say whether it is a classical approach or rules it out.

I do tend to think Latin and/or Greek are fairly important to a Classical education of any sort, but for how long? Does doing 2 years of Latin mean that you are still doing "Classical" the rest of the time? Gee, I am certainly not one to say.

And, although it is interesting to me, I stopped caring a while back and am happy to be following my heart, whatever its called.

I do tend to think Latin and/or Greek are fairly important to a Classical education of any sort, but for how long? Does doing 2 years of Latin mean that you are still doing "Classical" the rest of the time? Gee, I am certainly not one to say.

And, although it is interesting to me, I stopped caring a while back and am happy to be following my heart, whatever its called.

:cheers2: Yay Peela!