Menu

Sex Ed

I am doing a session at a conference this Oct about teaching your children sex ed.

I have the resources that *I* like, but I want to present a variety. I'm pretty darn liberal and I know that not everyone is. ;) So I'd like to be able to have resources for parents who are more conservative as well.

So what things (books, videos, classes or info from organizations like planned parenthood or church, etc) have helped you or have you used with your children?

How did/do you approach the topic and when?

Thanks!

Side note...who thinks it's hilarious that I'll be doing this presentation while 9 months pregnant? :smilielol5:

I am doing a session at a conference this Oct about teaching your children sex ed.

I have the resources that *I* like, but I want to present a variety. I'm pretty darn liberal and I know that not everyone is. ;) So I'd like to be able to have resources for parents who are more conservative as well.

So what things (books, videos, classes or info from organizations like planned parenthood or church, etc) have helped you or have you used with your children?

How did/do you approach the topic and when?

Thanks!

Side note...who thinks it's hilarious that I'll be doing this presentation while 9 months pregnant? :smilielol5:

I think it's hilarious! :-) No advice about sex ed materials; I'm pretty darn liberal too, so I guess we just talked about it straightforwardly here.

Good luck!

Astrid

:lol: That is pretty funny! Make sure you point it out somehow.

This is one set I've used. This is another set I've used. I mix and match them. There are some books in one series I like and some in the other.

I start at the ages of the youngest books, about 4 or 5. I don't always go over the books with the kids at the ages on the cover though. I often wait until the top age or even later.

"Shaping Your Child's Sexual Character" by Mary Flo Ridley. Absolutely the best conservative teaching on sex I've ever heard! info@justsayyes.org I almost didn't go to her presentation when she was in our town because I am so far from liberal in this area, but I was wonderfully surprised and bought enough CDs to give to all my friends who missed it. The motto is: Preparing parents of young children to establish healthy sexual values in their home."

Well' date=' I 'm pretty conservative, and we talk about it straightforwardly. :confused:[/quote']

HUH?! What's with the confused, angry face? The OP stated that she was liberal, and asked for recommendations for more conservative sex ed resources (books, etc.) I simply stated that we are liberal as well, and since we didn't really use any books but just talked about it with dd, that was all I could add.

I'm baffled as to how you could take offense; it was certainly not meant as one.

Yikes. Touchy subject, I guess.

Astrid:001_huh:

HUH?! What's with the confused, angry face? The OP stated that she was liberal, and asked for recommendations for more conservative sex ed resources (books, etc.) I simply stated that we are liberal as well, and since we didn't really use any books but just talked about it with dd, that was all I could add.

I'm baffled as to how you could take offense; it was certainly not meant as one.

Yikes. Touchy subject, I guess.

Astrid:001_huh:

I apologize if I took what you said the wrong way. Really. I thought it was a snide, "Well, since I am liberal in my views I can discuss these things in an open, rational fashion, unlike those repressed conservatives." I probably AM touchy on that subject due to past experiences. Again, I apologize since that was not your intention. Mea culpa!

Well, I guess we're pretty liberal. But I've read It's Not the Stork. And my youngest follows me to the bathroom all the time. So my three year old can tell you all about periods (how it's the blood from a nest in your uterus in case a baby grows but isn't needed) and explain all about where babies come from. She talks teh most about the baby growing than how it gets in there, but she knows that too. And my four year old informed her father the other day, "I know where my clitoris is!" Well, all right then.... It's a nice, thorough, and yet age appropriate book.

A couple of books I thought were good:

It's So Amazing! A Book About Eggs, Sperm, Birth, Babies, and Families by Robie H. Harris, ill. by Michael Emberley (the team that brought you It's Perfectly Normal -- liberal, cartoon format, fun. For ages 7 and up.

Talking to Your Kids About Sex by Mark Laaser -- conservative, a Christian counselor, author of Faithful and True: Sexual Integrity in a Fallen World, gives ideas for discussions at lots of different ages. Focus on respect of God, self and other. For parents.

I thought it was a snide, "Well, since I am liberal in my views I can discuss these things in an open, rational fashion, unlike those repressed conservatives."

Nothing could be further from my point. That would be rude and disrespectful, and that's not my style.

I probably AM touchy on that subject due to past experiences. Again, I apologize since that was not your intention. Mea culpa!

No problem! :grouphug:

Astrid