Menu

Just tried the Chocolate Muffin in a Mug

Moxie

I tried the recipe from Trim Healthy Mama on the advice of my hairdresser who loves them.

Did I do something wrong because this thing is terrible!!

It's an egg, flax meal, almond flour, baking powder, cocoa, coconut oil and stevia. It is so bitter!!

I'm sad.

I tried the recipe from Trim Healthy Mama on the advice of my hairdresser who loves them.

It's an egg, flax meal, almond flour, baking powder, cocoa, coconut oil and stevia. It is so bitter!!

I'm sad.

My guess is either too little stevia, or too much stevia.  If you don't put enough, it's not sweet enough.  If you put too much, it's... weird.  I'm not sure I'd say bitter, though.

The last container of stevia (NuStevia) I bought is way less sweet than the previous container.  Quality control problems, maybe?  I have to use noticeably more to get the same sweetness.  It's not just me; my dd says the same thing about the sweetness.  I hope the next container is back to normal.

Looking at the ingredients, it sounds kind of iffy to begin with.

(Psst... I have a great single serving chocolate cake in a mug recipe if you want it. ;) )

Moxie, look over there! A unicorn!

*so what's the recipe?*

Sorry, Moxie. It was just a tree. My mistake.

Moxie, look over there! A unicorn!

*so what's the recipe?*

Sorry, Moxie. It was just a tree. My mistake.

http://www.dessertnowdinnerlater.com/2013/08/single-serving-chocolate-cake/

Oh my, how did that link get there?  Very peculiar.  It certainly wasn't me.

(I've tried a few recipes, and this one is my favorite.  It's pretty good even if you don't have any chocolate chips.)

:leaving: 

http://www.dessertnowdinnerlater.com/2013/08/single-serving-chocolate-cake/

Oh my, how did that link get there?  Very peculiar.  It certainly wasn't me.

(I've tried a few recipes, and this one is my favorite.  It's pretty good even if you don't have any chocolate chips.)

:leaving: 

Hum dee dum.  :001_rolleyes: Nothing to see here.

THAT WAS GOOD!!

I've had mug cake before, but this one was actually good (compared to the yuck of the others).  I decided to try it because you said you tried more than one and this was the best, and because I trust you, Mergath.

After some Googling, I found a recipe for a cinnamon muffin-in-a-mug and it turned out much better.  Even my picky kid liked it!

I was going to suggest getting rid of the cocoa and adding cinnamon (and maybe a bit of vanilla). I did Trim Healthy Mama and hated the chocolate muffin in a mug...but loved my cinnamon/vanilla version.

Looking at the ingredients, it sounds kind of iffy to begin with.

(Psst... I have a great single serving chocolate cake in a mug recipe if you want it. ;) )

Exactly what I was thinking. :D

ETA: It reminds me of brownies my SIL (who I adore!) used to make. They had bran buds. Nevermind the buckwheat cookies. The sorrowful loss my our nephew would give me when she brought those out. :D

Here's one that I really like:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Healthy Instant Chocolate Cake

Recipe By     :
Serving Size  : 0     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Cakes & Frostings               Low Carb

Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
     1/2    Tablespoon  unsalted butter**
  4          teaspoons  half and half cream OR lite coconut milk
    1/16      teaspoon  sea salt
     1/2      teaspoon  vanilla
     1/2                beaten egg
  5        Tablespoons  almond flour -- gently packed
  2          teaspoons  coconut flour
  2        Tablespoons  erythritol OR 2 Tablespoons Truvia OR 3 packets good-tasting stevia OR scant 1/16 teaspoon pure stevia extract (if using erythritol)
  1         Tablespoon  unsweetened cocoa powder (recommended: Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder)
     1/8      teaspoon  baking soda
     1/4      teaspoon  vinegar

Makes 1 large serving
 **For a dairy-free/paleo version of this cake, use coconut oil or nonhydrogenated organic shortening and lite coconut milk. You can use a tablespoon of honey and the listed amount of stevia to sweeten it.

Add butter, half and half or coconut milk, and sea salt to mug. Melt for 30 seconds on HIGH in microwave, or until butter is liquified. Add vanilla and drizzle egg into mug while whisking it with a fork. Add the dry ingredients and whisk thoroughly with fork until batter is smooth and evenly mixed. Whisk in vinegar. Slap the bottom of the mug with the palm of your hand 10-20x to pop air bubbles. Place in the center of the batter a square or two of 70% cocoa chocolate or sugar-free milk chocolate for a gooey, melty center. Microwave mug on HIGH for 1 minute, 15 seconds, or until batter has cooked through. Let cool 1 minute. Top with s squirt of whipped cream or a dab of low carb cream cheese frosting if desired. Eat!

7.4g net carbs, 368 calories (without the square of Lindt 70% chocolate)

Description:
  "This healthy yet decadent spin on the beloved One Minute Muffin is sure to hit the spot when you're crunched for time and craving the sweet stuff"
Source:
                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

NOTES : 2012  This makes a VERY large serving, but it's the best cake I've had since going low-carb! I use whipping cream instead of half and half or coconut milk. I made a double batch in 2 mugs so that I could use a whole egg. This really is awesome!
The second time I made this I used 1 1/2 Tbs Truvia rather than 2 Tbs. I left out the salt as the butter I used was salted and ithe cake seemed to be too salty with the added salt. I made it in my microwave egg muffin pan that I bought at Walmart. It worked beautifully. The pan was the perfect size and the cake came right out of the pan when inverted over a plate. I frosted it with Cocoa Ganache. I may buy a second egg muffin pan so that I can mix up two cakes at the same time.

I'm sad.

That recipe sounds :ack2:

I'm sure you did nothing wrong, other than having listened to the advice of your hairdresser, who clearly knows nothing about baked goods. :D