Menu

What to use after Getting Started with Latin?

The author of GSWL has a series of lectures online that correspond with Latin, Book One.   We will most likely use this next year.   My DS is doing GSWL this year independently and loves it.

Linney's Latin Class uses The First Year of Latin, which is a different text. I don't know how they compare, but I will say that Latin, Book One is perfect for middle school even though it's considered a high-school text.

We will be using the Cambridge Latin Course. I had thought to use Latin prep (which I also have) but my son is more of a whole to parts learner which is the approach of the Cambridge course. (Latin prep is parts to whole). Grammar and vocab are taught in context of the readings which are a continuous story throughout all 4 years. There is also a great DVD with videos, exercises, all all the readings read out loud.

Ruth in NZ

my son is more of a whole to parts learner which is the approach of the Cambridge course

That's great to know. Whole to parts is my son's way as well, and now I realise why he has not been very enthused by GSWL. In fact, language is best taught whole to parts, because it is something that is innate. Reading, writing and maths are not innate and parts to whole (ie phonics) is the better approach. I got this information from reading a lot of ED Hirsch, especially his book: "The Knowledge Deficit", where he explains that the 3Rs are totally unnatural, and only language can be learnt 'naturally'.

We loved GSWL and are now enjoying going through (simultaneously) Latin Alive (more of a traditional grammar-translation program) and Lingua Latina (immersion-type reading program).  Both have DVDs that accompany them if desired (though the Lingua Latina DVDs are not actually associated with the program - I'm referring to Visual Latin, which uses Lingua Latina as a text).  I've heard good things about the Visual Latin instructor (entertaining, accessible).

That's great to know. Whole to parts is my son's way as well, and now I realise why he has not been very enthused by GSWL. In fact, language is best taught whole to parts, because it is something that is innate. Reading, writing and maths are not innate and parts to whole (ie phonics) is the better approach. I got this information from reading a lot of ED Hirsch, especially his book: "The Knowledge Deficit", where he explains that the 3Rs are totally unnatural, and only language can be learnt 'naturally'.

My son is similar, so I'm glad to read the rec as well.