Menu

Complete, secular, curriculum?

dewdropfairy

The 2014-2015 school year is set to be a crazy one in our household. I'm looking for a complete curriculum that doesn't require a lot of teacher preparation or involvement to get us through. I expect we can get back to our normal procedures after that. I'd prefer rigorous and secular. We can use TT for Math so I'm primarily concerned about Language Arts, Science, and History. Any ideas?

The options I know are K12, Calvert, and Oak Meadow.  Time4Learning also has a whole program, but I haven't heard people describe it as rigorous.

If you have math covered, you might consider Moving Beyond the Page, which is everything but math.  It's integrated subjects - sort of like preset unit studies.

Thank you both. I'd love to hear from parents who have used any of these suggestions about how hands on they are for the teacher.

I'm open to different sets for each student, my younger son is very hands on/distractable while his older brother is very "bookish" and focused. Both seem to be working about at grade level.

You might like to look at Galore Park (purchasable in the US from horriblebooks.com or with free shipping from bookdepository.co.uk).  There is one introduction to one science book that mentions God, but there is no hint of ID or similar in the books.  The language arts books include occasional passages that mention religion (a poem about Christmas, for example) but it all falls into the area of 'cultural religion'.  I used the English, maths, French and Latin books.  I also used the RE book (we are atheists) for cultural background.

All the books that I used were more-or-less open and go.  I did more preparation for the French book, because I added in more oral work.  I don't know how much preparation the science books might require.

For history, SOTW is another option.  I know that a lot of people do tons of projects to go along with the books, but I just read them out loud to my children.  I was also reasonably happy using them as an atheist, with occasional discussions about how religion is presented.

L

Calvert would likely be the easiest to implement. Galore Park is thorough, too. I've used their junior English and junior science books (2nd-4th grade). Most of the stuff needed for their experiments are easy to find. We're using parts of Oak Meadow 6th grade next year, but I've heard some people say it's not rigorous enough.

K12 is very teacher intensive in the younger grades, but is intended to be used independently by the student starting in 6th grade.  For 4th grade, the science and history are intended to be done fairly independently, but the LA would require some time from the parent/teacher.

Calvert is plenty rigorous and is written to the student starting in fifth grade. It sounds like a decent fit for your older son.

Your younger son, I don't know. Calvert could be made to work but you might have to modify it--which is okay, because they pack a lot into their curriculum.  You would be spending a bit more time with him regardless due to his age. They do have checklists at the start of each lesson, so it would be possible to give him a list of work at the start of the day, which would be plenty even without too much teacher instruction. I guess the key would be making sure he got it done.

Moving Beyond the Page might be a better fit for him, but I've heard that it is teacher intensive. I don't know if it would be more or less so than Calvert.

My two suggestions would have also been Moving Beyond the Page or Calvert.  You need your own math with MBtP (but you got that covered with TT).  I *think*...but I'm not sure (and I can't take the time to go to the website and investigate)...that you can purchase Calvert w/o the math (don't quote me on that...you'd have to check that out).  But...both of these programs will need you to be a part of it.  Just how teacher intensive, I don't know.

Calvert is secular?  I had no idea. 

Yes, Calvert is one of the few full curriculums that many public schools offer, if they have any kind of homebased program...like what we are in.  We also have an online school (or possibly 2) in our state that offer Calvert because it's secular. 

If you are looking for open and go, workbook style curriculum you can check out Starline Press. It is secular, but it's also expensive. It is basically the same as ACE, but with the religion stripped out of it. 

Edited to add: I am now an authorized Starline Press re-seller. I can get it cheaper than if you go to Rainbow Resources or through Starline Press. I have been using it with my daughter and have been very happy with it.

Thank you for all the suggestions, I've looked at all of them and I'm leaning toward Calvert for the older and MBTP for the younger. They seem like good fits for their respective personalities. Galore Park interests me, but that may come later. I really am looking for a box containing everything I need along with a checklist of what to do and when. Just for this year. I'll be back to picking and choosing each subject separately after that, I think.

I use Calvert.

1. Yes, it is secular completely

2. It is written to the student in SIXTH grade and up not fifth

3. Below that it's very teacher intensive because the manuals and worksheets etc, are not designed to be used independently. However, it duesnt take all day and just like anything there are subjects which are truly more independent. Grammar is self taught starting in 4th grade and you could work with your older some while your younger is busy.

But really unless they are in 6-8th AND very focused children, Calvert is NOT hands off

Hope that helps

MBTP is a VERY good curriculum.  We are using the 11-13 set (all subjects offered).   Even at this age, I seem to be pretty involved in most of it.  It is written to the student.  I think it is more parent intensive at the 8 yr old level for sure.  How much so?  I'm not sure.  There is a MBTP facebook group called Differently Schooled using Moving Beyond the Page where all of your questions should be fully answered before purchasing.  It's a very active group and plenty are using the age groups you'd be going into. 

I am currently using both MBTP and Starline.  MBTP works great for my 8yo, but did not work at all for my 12-13yo (she couldn't get through the material...it was hard.  Might be OK for a more studious student.)  It seems to me that MBTP is quite easy in the younger ages (and parent intensive), but quickly becomes more independent and difficult through middle school.  I love the way the units are set up, though....the topics, activities...the science kits have been great!  Still undecided if we will continue MBTP for 8yo next year...I may opt for something more independent since she works well independently.  We moved the 12-13yo to Starline for history a month or so ago, and she likes it ok.  She loved ACE when we used it previously, and Starline is very similar.  Its very independent!!  Just read and fill in some blanks. (Definitely wouldn't call it rigorous!)  My dd still struggles with the character trait questions/writing, but the rest of it is pretty easy. (Perhaps too easy?)  I think it has fewer questions than ACE!  Its perfect for my dd, though, who was looking for something simple.  We will probably not continue Starline, though, due to expense.  For you, I think you could probably rule out Starline due to rigor.  However, sometimes when life gets busy rigor can be let slide for the ease of getting it done!  MBTP might be ok, but might require too much of your time.  Maybe textbooks would be better? SaxonHomeschool?

Not sure what to think of Starline Press. The website didn't wow me. I found a spelling error, but that wasn't the problem. I couldn't find sample lessons, so I don't really know what it looks like. The emphasis on character education isn't really for me. I'm not looking for a curriculum to teach my kids how to be good people (that's my job) I'm looking for one that teaches them how to read, write, and do math. That's also the reason I prefer a secular curriculum even though we are religious.

If I see them at a curriculum fair I will check them out, but I can't imagine spending that kind of money on something I can't even preview.

And thank you to everyone who has given me individual feedback on what you are using or have used. It helps to hear from those that are using or have used the companies I'm considering.

Not sure what to think of Starline Press. The website didn't wow me. I found a spelling error, but that wasn't the problem. I couldn't find sample lessons, so I don't really know what it looks like.

Was it starguy....then elsewhere it says star guy....and another spot they say Star Guy?  I'm really picky when it comes to errors on websites or in print.  But anyway.....what I really wanted to tell you is that you can see some samples of Starline at Rainbow Resource.  Starline says their "mission is to provide the best independent learning curriculum available".  I'm really not sure what to think of it either.  It seems like page after page after page of a lot of reading with fill in the blank.  When you finish a booklet you go to the next booklet.  I know my son would definitely HATE all the reading.  :eek:  My youngest would be bored to tears.   :crying:  

Was it starguy....then elsewhere it says star guy....and another spot they say Star Guy?  I'm really picky when it comes to errors on websites or in print.  But anyway.....what I really wanted to tell you is that you can see some samples of Starline at Rainbow Resource.  Starline says their "mission is to provide the best independent learning curriculum available".  I'm really not sure what to think of it either.  It seems like page after page after page of a lot of reading with fill in the blank.  When you finish a booklet you go to the next booklet.  I know my son would definitely HATE all the reading.  :eek:  My youngest would be bored to tears.   :crying:  

Actually it was their "Procedures Manuel", which, to my surprise, took me to a (correctly spelled) "Procedures Manual" and not to Manuel, head of their Procedures Dept. :lol:

Thanks for the tip on Rainbow Resource, I'll go check it out now!

Our 5th grader uses Calvert, minus the math.  Most of it is not teacher-intensive.  Since I started block-scheduling it, he is able to work pretty much independently for 2 hours at a time.  The online checkpoints really help pull him along as he can see his scores and his progress through the program.  It has been very easy to adapt to our needs.  It is completely secular.

• 4 weeks later...

To the OP,  it can be parent intensive because it includes discussion.  With more than one level it is a little harder as well.  BUT, if your child gets to the point where they are independent a lot of the discussion can happen at the dinner table, during a drive to activity or before bed.  

The absolutely best thing about it, is NO RESEARCH for the best way to teach ABorC.  It is ready to go.  It takes some getting used to but my kids have really liked it.   I like it because I have more time to FB and check forums instead of planning how to learn about adjectives or something.  

Some folks use just one part, language or science, but I have used the entire curriculum since the first level.  We have a relaxed process so we move slowly through the material, but I can see my children using the information they have acquired in their daily lives.