Menu

Does anyone go into "hibernation" for the winter just to keep healthy and getting schoolwork done??

housemouse

When I say "hibernation" for the winter, I mean limit contact with outside world unless it is church (Sunday sevices only, Christmas service but not every single activity at the church) and food shopping and doctor visits if needed.

It seems like every year from October to March we are lamost always sick, and some days schoolwork does not get done at all, other days it would be half day.

Last year we ended up being sick 7 times from September to May and ended up taking until July to make up for all sick days.
This year we are only entering January and we are sick again 4th time from September.

As careful as I am being about washing hands and keeping everyone home if the are sick, sneazing and coughing, there are many others who do not stay home if they are sick. At the end, someone else gets sick.

So, back to the original question, does anyone "hibernates" for the winter months for sake of health, schoolwork and sanity??

We don't seem to get sick over the winter, but I admit I'm not really crazy about going out and driving around in the snow and ice so we do tend to scale back our activities from around the middle of December to March. We live in a rural area and some of the roads I have to drive on to get to 'civilization' can be very poorly maintained. I just deliberately decided not to sign up my daughter for an activity she requested at the local YMCA, just because I'd rather wait and have her start the activity during the next session six weeks from now just because of the snow. 

Your questions made me smile. I have never liked the cold and this year, aside the fact that we moved from NJ to ND, I just seem as if I *have* gone into hibernation.  No one wants to get up early in the mornings these days, so school does not start until almost right before lunch, it's too cold for the kids to play outside, and they just aren't interested anyway. The younger ones could play legos for the rest of there life, and my older loves to read, draw, and write stories, all non-outdoor activities. We have church on Sundays, youth group  and kids club during the week, the occasional friend over, and not much else. I have to make myself go to the grocery store on Saturdays. Not sure what we'll do when we restart piano. Even without illness,I feel like we're hermits. Hopefully we can muster up the motivation for spring sports. :glare:

We do tend to buckle down and stay in this time of year.  I told our friends we are not having any social days other than worship service and karate. We tend to get started later in the winter time also, so it works out better to make sure we are home in the afternoon.  

We don't seem to get sick over the winter, but I admit I'm not really crazy about going out and driving around in the snow and ice so we do tend to scale back our activities from around the middle of December to March. We live in a rural area and some of the roads I have to drive on to get to 'civilization' can be very poorly maintained. I just deliberately decided not to sign up my daughter for an activity she requested at the local YMCA, just because I'd rather wait and have her start the activity during the next session six weeks from now just because of the snow. 

This is us.  I won't go out on the roads if the weather is poor, so we do not sign up for activities in the winter.  It makes for some very quiet winters and some very busy summers.  :) 

Normally, yes we stay home and hibernate winter away.  This year no.  Dh has brain cancer and that means we are at the hospital (huge hospital) all the time.  It also means that I am out getting him prescriptions, special food, etc more than normal.  I am also doing everything he would normally do.  All of this means we are in town more.  Much more.  Before all this, I would go to town once a week for errands and on Sunday.  We have been sick over and over this year.

We normally stay home in the winter doing school because come spring we will be busy with gardening and animals.

The sad part is I actually don't think you have been all that sick! We had something like 2 stomach flus and 3 rounds of colds this fall. We are somewhere in the middle. If there is an important Dr. appt or vacation coming up I will try to hibernate but otherwise we mostly attend our activities year round. I've come to accept that the illnesses are just part of building up an immune system and if it doesn't happen now, once my kids are in school or college or something else they will be knocked out. I'd rather they get sick now have some immunity than lose a whole semester someday to illness.

When I say "hibernation" for the winter, I mean limit contact with outside world unless it is church (Sunday sevices only, Christmas service but not every single activity at the church) and food shopping and doctor visits if needed.

It seems like every year from October to March we are lamost always sick, and some days schoolwork does not get done at all, other days it would be half day.

Last year we ended up being sick 7 times from September to May and ended up taking until July to make up for all sick days.

This year we are only entering January and we are sick again 4th time from September.

As careful as I am being about washing hands and keeping everyone home if the are sick, sneazing and coughing, there are many others who do not stay home if they are sick. At the end, someone else gets sick.

So, back to the original question, does anyone "hibernates" for the winter months for sake of health, schoolwork and sanity??

Well, we tend to stay home when the weather is nasty outside, which usually results in doing more Official School Stuff, but since we didn't have to count days in California, we didn't have to make up for any "sick days;" and I figured since there were 365 days in a year, we'd finish any Official School Stuff some time during those 365 days. :-)

Not by choice!  We've had tons of snow and are now facing bitter cold temps (my PS kids will have their 4th "snow day" tomorrow).  We're usually a very on-the-go family, so being home for the fourth or fifth day running is making my crew a little nutty.  I, however, am loving it!  We've done tons of school work, baked, played board games, colored while reading aloud, caught up on Liberty Kids, and ALL of my laundry and ironing is done.  This has proven to me that I'd be MUCH MORE productive if I stayed home more often. As for illness, we've had a pretty good run so far.  In my crew of 6, we've had one round of a common cold so far (since last September).