Menu

Sherlock "The Empty Hearse" spoilers

elegantlion

Yes, lets.... I forgot how much I enjoy it..... :thumbup:

I needed some alone time after watching and had to rewatch several portions :tongue_smilie:

an off switch on it, :smilielol5:  really???

and his parents.... he has his mom's eyes!

I loved it! I thought it was clever how they showed several different theories about how he did it to throw us off.

And we still don't know for sure. And it doesn't matter. Skillfully done on the part of Gatiss.

I liked the Guy Fawkes parallels which added a lot of subtext.   I think the dimensions added will be lost on most Americans because it's rare one who's familiar with the English Civil War and the political and religious philosophies from each side.  It did however, make it incredibly predictable, which was a bit disappointing.

I liked the Guy Fawkes parallels which added a lot of subtext.   I think the dimensions added will be lost on most Americans because it's rare one who's familiar with the English Civil War and the political and religious philosophies from each side.  It did however, make it incredibly predictable, which was a bit disappointing.

I was wondering how much of that would come through.  The aristocrat who missed the explosion was not the plotter in the history - he was just warned of the danger.  So he became the reason that the plot was discovered, rather than the instigator.  

I was wondering if people outside the UK would get the 'penny for the guy' bit.  And the Guy Fawkes bonfire.  There was a bit of fudging there, because they had the bonfire scene, then the next day, I think, they were saying that it was November 5th.  People sometimes do have bonfires a day early if the real day falls on a school night though...

There's another layer of more recent history.  The Houses of Parliament were bombed twice by the IRA - causing injuries and one death - so for people of my age, there are modern fears involved.

L

Having an overseas Republican doing the bombing would cause outrage in the US, especially when layering in the political and religious divisions from the English Civil War.  Most politically active Republicans are some brand of Protestant with covenant/replacement theologies that motivate them to political action that matches Scripture. They're also very Lex Rex when it comes to constitutionalism and its political parallel with the authority of Scripture over church leadership as held by some in the  English Civil War.  To be associated with Catholics in the 1600s that supported royalists would be a VERY.  BIG.  DEAL. if any of them were paying attention to the subtext in Sherlock. Some Protestants and their theological descendants (Certainly not all!) don't consider Catholics real, believing Christians: they consider them a cult. Yet another aspect of irritation wisely avoided by the writers.

Some Protestants and their theological descendants (Certainly not all!) don't consider Catholics real, believing Christians: they consider them a cult. Yet another aspect of irritation wisely avoided by the writers.

I suspect that the writers don't know this.  It's a really, really rare and extreme view in the UK.

GF was forty years before the English Civil War and the issues were quite a bit different.

L

I loved it!  I'm sure I didn't get all the nuances of the historical subtext, but it was good all the same.  Though I am a little annoyed that we're never going to know for sure how he survived.

Who was the guy at the end watching the videos?  My initial impression was that it's Mycroft, watching the video to try to understand Sherlock's friendship with John, but I really have no idea.