Menu

New Twist on Alternate Board Self

Anyone else more outgoing IRL and more reserved here???? I see a lot of people going the opposite way. I cannot seem to do the chatty thing here, but IRL I can chat your head off. Perhaps that is the verbal/auditory part of me.

I talk too much in IRL and here. :willy_nilly:

I think I can be equally goofy IRL, but it's often easier here, more time to think. Too many cool things can get lost in a real person-to-person conversation. Could you imagine the noise these online chats would produce if we were all in a big room together! ;)

I don't post nearly as much here as I talk and chat IRL. I've been trying to participate a bit more lately but really it's a fraction of how outgoing I am in the real world LOL. On the original post I actually typed a response twice and then deleted each time....:tongue_smilie:

I posted on the other thread. I am much more reserved online than IRL.

In real life, I am a nut. I inherited my father's willingness and ability to talk to anyone. At least two of my boys have inherited this "talking" gene much to my introvert DH's dismay.

Online, I censor myself. I either am very careful selecting my words or I just don't put in the effort. I do this even in my local online communities.

I think it's funny that all the chatty people are quite online and all the quiet people are chatty online.

Yep...I just posted this on the other thread. I am much more reserved and guarded here. (seriously...I think I have erased parts of this post about five times already so I am just going to post it now.)

This is me too! I don't post things even though I can. I know the answer but either it's been said or it's way out there or most people are on the oher side of the fence. I've been "the one no one speaks to" on another board - because I let my Christian-ness come out. Here I don't feel like I have to, but I still tend to be reserved about some topics.

As I said on the other thread, English is my second language and I'm not very confident of my writing skills (or should that be in my writing skills - see?), and then I agonize about posting on a board where everyone seems so eloquent.

IRL, I just talk and am not at all reserved about sharing my opinions.

Well, I would if I had any friends IRL.

That sounds bad. I do have friends, but but they all work.

:lol: This is too funny and yet I can relate. My friends get really chatty with me online during lunch break and that's about it. We have busy lives with our families and them working so there isn't much time for other socialization on our parts. Oh there is that horrid socialization word. How many times do we worry about our own, lol.

As I said on the other thread, English is my second language and I'm not very confident of my writing skills (or should that be in my writing skills - see?), and then I agonize about posting on a board where everyone seems so eloquent.

Hannah, Please don't be shy about posting. I am barely understandable in my first language, let alone a second. Grammar and spelling are way less important than the CONTENT of what you say.:001_smile:

I don't know that I'm *reserved* here, but IRL I tend to jump into every conversation. Here I "listen in" more. But I'm pretty chatty. :001_smile: And maybe a bit more sarcastic. Online communication requires using a more diplomatic tone because this is such a varied community and there are no facial expressions, just the words.

Had it right the first time, hon. You are doing just fine. Don't be shy, we are all in this together.

I've always wondered how it's possible to do a lot of posting simply because of time restraints. And because I have to proofread my posts for spelling mistakes, grammar mistakes, personal details that I should keep to myself, and comments that might come across wrong to others. By that time, my opinion or advice has inevitably already been posted by someone else. :) When you add to that my lack of experience, is it any wonder that I don't post more? Hmmm . . .

I'm certainly free enough with most opinions IRL. But it's so much easier to just spout off for a couple of minutes and then you're done. Ha, that's it! I'm lazy. That explains everything! :):):)

On the other hand, you learn so much more when you just listen . . .

Mama Anna