Menu

We can't quite figure out how to take a KitchenAid mixer on an airplane...

J-rap

So, I got my daughter a refurbished KitchenAid from Overstock.com (recommended by someone here -- thanks!) for her birthday last week!  But now, she has to figure out how to bring it back to her home in Central America...  It's still in the original box which it came in, which is packed with styrofoam and I assume was shipped on an airplane.  So, I'm thinking if we can find a suitcase or duffel bag that is wide enough (the box is wider than the average suitcase), it would probably be safe to check.  Do  you think?

Otherwise, as a carry-on, because of the wide box and attachments, would it even be accepted?  Maybe too wide for the overhead storage, or maybe the attachments would be considered a dangerous tool.  It's very heavy, about 25 pounds I think.  We'd need to somehow add a handle to it if taken as a carry-on.

We could also take it apart and bring the various parts individually, as several of us will be heading down there in the upcoming months.

Anyway, just wondering if any of you have some creative ideas on how to do this!

First, go to the web site of the airline(s) she will be travelling on and read about their baggage limits (size and weight), restrictions, etc.

Then, investigate what the Customs regulations are, for returning residents to that country.

She needs to have the Receipt, for what you paid for the item, with her, for Customs, after she arrives at her destination airport.

Depending upon what country she lives in, and their regulations for returning residents, hopefully, she will not need to pay customs duty, etc.. 

She should be very honest with the customs people and declare the item, which may or may not be permitted to enter the country without payment.

Her item may be "oversize" and or "overweight" and if so that is going to cost more.

Hopefully, her trip will not be on the busiest travel days when the airlines must be more strict.

I remember, when my wife was pregnant, we returned from Orlando, with a lot of stuff for DD. When we were in Customs, the Inspector was looking at the carton the High Chair, or something else, was in, as if he was very interested in buying one for his kid. With a very friendly manner, he asked me how much it cost and I told him the truth. What I did not know, until after we were home, was that the price tag was on the carton and he had been looking at that. Had I given him a low number, we would have been in deep stuff... We got thru Colombian Customs, without paying anything. Here, it depends on how long you were out of the country, etc.

We were on COPA (Panamanian airline and excellent) on that trip to Orlando. When we arrived at the airport in Orlando, with lots of cartons, they told my wife (I was returning the rental car) that they might not  be able to get everything on that flight that day. We were OK with that. There was a connection in Panama City (an hour or less) and it was raining. When we got to  the Customs area in Cali, everything was there, waiting for us.  :-)

ETA: 2 weeks ago, we made a domestic trip on LAN Colombia. I am looking at their web site, at the baggage information. Their aircraft for domestic flights are all Economy (Coach). Economy passengers can bring one carry on into the cabin that weighs up to 8 kilos (17 pounds). Premium Economy and Premium Business passengers ($$$$$$) can bring one item that weighs up to 16 kilos (35 pounds) into the cabin.  Obviously, the item must be able to fit into the measuring thing at the gate, to be sure the dimensions are OK...  Your DD can also bring her Purse into the cabin.

• 2 weeks later...

It has taken me awhile to respond to this, but I wanted to thank everyone for your advice!  She did end up checking it in a suitcase in the original packaging, and it got there in perfect condition.   Lanny, thanks for the head's about declaring it in customs (had forgotten about that), and Mandy -- thank you for the confirmation on how to send it from someone in the business.  :) 

I did not get enough sleep last night.  I actually read this as 'we don't know how to operate our KitchenAid mixer on the airplane". 

:lol:

haha!  :)  I was picturing my daughter whipping up some muffins in the aisle for the other passengers...