Menu

Does anyone give their kids a lysine supplement?....and a bit of a rant

Aura

If so, what do you use? I need to get some for my kids. We have problems with mouth sores around here. I know lysine works, but I haven't found a kid-friendly supplement. So it's either a really nasty extract or a powder which doesn't blend well.

<begin rant>I use to be able to increase the lysine in their diets with raw milk, but gov't got involved and now I can't get it legally. Stupid idiots!  :cursing:  It was the BEST way to deal with their issues, but noooo, can't have people thinking for themselves and making their own choices, can we? Got to legislate everything..  :cursing: <end rant>

Sorry. It's just that the sores are really an issue with a couple of my kids. At one point, I remember counting 10, yes TEN, sores in my oldest ds's mouth. The pediatrician was of NO HELP. I had to research and come up with a solution for myself. Raw milk contains a high amount of lysine along with beneficial bacteria. It worked. And now I can't get it, and while oldest ds is much better and can easily swallow the lysine pills, two of my younger ds's are dealing with this. And they can't just swallow pills.

The milk issue is really just a JAWM. I just needed to vent, that's all. Right now, ds9 has several in his mouth, and I just gave him some of dd's liquid Lortab from her surgery.  :glare: It's that bad.

But I really do need a good lysine supplement that's kid friendly, so if anyone has any recommendations, I would really appreciate it.

Nuts, and this includes peanuts, not just tree nuts, are actually not a good thing for cold/canker sores (herpes virus). They're much higher in arginine which typicially makes them worse. So it's not just the amount lysine in a food, it's the lysine to arginine ratio where you need the lysine to be much higher than the arginine.

Dairy typically is the highest source of high lysine (low argenine) in foods. Meats are also high. I believe. A supplement that could be taken once a day would just be so much easier. A glass of raw milk a day would keep things in check, but this pasteurized stuff just doesn't seem to work as well.

I could. And I may have to break down and do that. I was just hoping for something more convenient, like a nice tidy little chewable or something. :blush: Obviously, if I can't find such a thing, then I will be making whatever adjustments are necessary, because they can't keep having to deal with this.

If so, what do you use? I need to get some for my kids. We have problems with mouth sores around here. I know lysine works, but I haven't found a kid-friendly supplement. So it's either a really nasty extract or a powder which doesn't blend well.

<begin rant>I use to be able to increase the lysine in their diets with raw milk, but gov't got involved and now I can't get it legally. Stupid idiots!  :cursing:  It was the BEST way to deal with their issues, but noooo, can't have people thinking for themselves and making their own choices, can we? Got to legislate everything..  :cursing: <end rant>

Sorry. It's just that the sores are really an issue with a couple of my kids. At one point, I remember counting 10, yes TEN, sores in my oldest ds's mouth. The pediatrician was of NO HELP. I had to research and come up with a solution for myself. Raw milk contains a high amount of lysine along with beneficial bacteria. It worked. And now I can't get it, and while oldest ds is much better and can easily swallow the lysine pills, two of my younger ds's are dealing with this. And they can't just swallow pills.

The milk issue is really just a JAWM. I just needed to vent, that's all. Right now, ds9 has several in his mouth, and I just gave him some of dd's liquid Lortab from her surgery.  :glare: It's that bad.

But I really do need a good lysine supplement that's kid friendly, so if anyone has any recommendations, I would really appreciate it.

First, I am really sorry about the milk thing. I'm in CA and there is still Organic Pastures Raw milk available. Has this been "outlawed" by your state?

In the worst case scenario, I would take lysine capsules, open them and pour them into a juice or something that masks strong taste and see if they can stomach it. Have something tasty in your hand and give it to them right after all the juice and the lysine is gone. Perhaps it will work.

First, I am really sorry about the milk thing. I'm in CA and there is still Organic Pastures Raw milk available. Has this been "outlawed" by your state?

In the worst case scenario, I would take lysine capsules, open them and pour them into a juice or something that masks strong taste and see if they can stomach it. Have something tasty in your hand and give it to them right after all the juice and the lysine is gone. Perhaps it will work.

What state are you in?  Is there a chance that someone can help you find raw milk again?  In Georgia, at least, it can be sold labeled as "animal feed," and I see it at farmers' markets, sold with a wink and a snicker.

I'm in Georgia. It wasn't too long ago that I could purchase raw milk brought in from SC through a co-op, but officials slammed the door on that and then said that ANYONE bringing raw milk into GA could be charged. Honestly, though, if it wasn't such a drive, I'd go there and bring it back myself. Legality be d@amned.

I don't know of anyone locally that sells pet-quality (wink-wink) raw milk, though I know that in some areas this is done. The best I can do is get low-temp pasteurized, non-homogenized milk. But even that doesn't work as good.

That liquid lysine works, but  :eek:  :ack2:  That stuff is NASTY. But, it is REALLY GOOD STUFF. It has more than just lysine in it, and it is great for when you need something quick. However, it shouldn't be taken on a long-term basis (echinacea and goldenseal content), and it just tastes so  :ack2:  :ack2:  :ack2: that I wouldn't want to deal with giving it out on a long-term basis, either.

Lemon Balm has a lot of great uses, but I'm not familiar with it for preventing cold sores, not at the level that lysine does. I'm pretty familiar with herbs, but I don't know of any that works for this. I think it's because most plants have more balanced levels of lysine and arginine, instead of having the much higher lysine content.

And yes, I can empty casules, get powder, whatever. I can disguise the taste (to a degree--but that Super Lysine+ extract will always taste bad.) I have done that and can do it again. I was just wanting a easy, liquid or chewable supplement that I can give the kids before bedtime. I honestly didn't think it was asking for too much. They have chewable lysine cat treats, for crying out loud! Why can't they have something for kids?  But I've been searching most of the evening, and I haven't found such a thing.  :(

I did find a probiotic that also has papaya puree. And papaya is one plant-based source that has a high lysine to argenine content. It's apparently way up their with dairy. And the probiotics are good for fighting breakouts, too, so this could be a good thing. Unfortunately, like most probiotics, it needs to be refrigerated so I don't want to risk ordering it online. I will probably call my local health food store tomorrow to see if they have it.

Anyway, thanks again for everyone's suggestions. Sorry about the whining.

Have you ever tried "magic mouthwash" prescribed from the doctor? I think there are a number of various recipes, and I am not sure which one was prescribed when we used it, but it did work well. 

Here are some recipes: http://www.drotterholt.com/magicmouthwash.html

Some of them seem to use only OTC ingredients except for the lidocaine, which would only be serving as a pain reliever anyway. In a pinch, I'd try mixing my own using the Maalox + liquid benadryl, so long as you feel confident working the numbers. 

When we had mouth sores, the magic mouthwash cleared them up quickly. Dh and I had them once or twice a number of years ago, and the mouthwash worked, then we never had them again. I have no idea what triggered them or why we never had them again, though. Obviously, with a chronic issue, then you'd hate to be using the mouthwash constantly. However, I wouldn't worry too much about the benadryl or maalox used topically, since they are pretty safe meds and you wouldn't be swallowing them. Of course, if your kids aren't old enough to be able to spit it out, that won't help much.

(((hugs)))

Do they use toothpaste with sodium lauryl sulfates in it? The SLS can cause mouth sores.

Two years ago, we switched to Crest Prohealth toothpaste :-/

I did not connect the toothpaste to this issue- but, I got sores all over my tongue and inside my mouth. The skin on the inside of my cheeks was coming off. And it hurt SO bad. We went to a wedding where they served chicken and waffles and the waffles on my gums and inside of mouth felt like razor blades- it was horrible :(

After a few days, I started googling and right away I saw someone complaining about Crest Prohealth doing the same thing to their mouth! Then I googled "Crest Prohealth mouth sores" and there were all kinds of complaints!! It basically gave me chemical burns in my mouth :-/

You can read reviews here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B001F51Q8Y/s=sd/ref=mw_dp_cr?qid=1387685079&sr=8-4

Anyways, once I figured it out, I just used baking soda until my mouth recovered- it took weeks!!

Then I started using a natural toothpaste and things were fine.

Anytime I run out of natural stuff, or forget to bring it on trips, and use normal SLS containing toothpaste, I get sores.

Jus google sodium lauryl sulfate and canker sores to read about it.

Good luck!!

(Eta- this wasn't clear above- the Crest Prohealth uses a different kind of fluoride that caused the problem- alone or in conjunction with SLS- I dunno. But after that incident, I have become sensitive or allergic to the SLS... Does that make sense?)

No offense, but if your son has 10 sores in his mouth and this is an ongoing or recurrent problem, do you think perhaps there's some underlying problem that might require medical intervention?  If the pediatrician doesn't have answer, perhaps you can get a referral to someone who does?

Do they use toothpaste with sodium lauryl sulfates in it? The SLS can cause mouth sores.

Two years ago, we switched to Crest Prohealth toothpaste :-/

I did not connect the toothpaste to this issue- but, I got sores all over my tongue and inside my mouth. The skin on the inside of my cheeks was coming off. And it hurt SO bad. We went to a wedding where they served chicken and waffles and the waffles on my gums and inside of mouth felt like razor blades- it was horrible :(

After a few days, I started googling and right away I saw someone complaining about Crest Prohealth doing the same thing to their mouth! Then I googled "Crest Prohealth mouth sores" and there were all kinds of complaints!! It basically gave me chemical burns in my mouth :-/

You can read reviews here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B001F51Q8Y/s=sd/ref=mw_dp_cr?qid=1387685079&sr=8-4

Anyways, once I figured it out, I just used baking soda until my mouth recovered- it took weeks!!

Then I started using a natural toothpaste and things were fine.

Anytime I run out of natural stuff, or forget to bring it on trips, and use normal SLS containing toothpaste, I get sores.

Jus google sodium lauryl sulfate and canker sores to read about it.

Good luck!!

(Eta- this wasn't clear above- the Crest Prohealth uses a different kind of fluoride that caused the problem- alone or in conjunction with SLS- I dunno. But after that incident, I have become sensitive or allergic to the SLS... Does that make sense?)

My daughter used to get mouth sores all the time, too.  It was awful.  She's switched to a toothpaste free of SLS and she hasn't had further problems.  She uses Tom's toothpaste now. 

One more thing: There is VS-C available from Nature's Sunshine. I don't know if it's available anywhere else. It is based on Chinese medicine and billed as viral immune formula. They are capsules but you could try to break them open and see if they taste better. I take them to keep from catching any viral infections.

I have used Lysine, Benedryl/Maalox, and omitted SLS toothpaste.  I still get mouth sores (canker sores--Cold Sores are "a whole nother" story.)  Far and away the best pain reliever and duration reducer for me is a hydrogen peroxide mouthwash, like this one from Orajel.  If your kids are young, it probably won't be a solution, though.  You have to be able to hold it in your mouth without swallowing.  

No offense, but if your son has 10 sores in his mouth and this is an ongoing or recurrent problem, do you think perhaps there's some underlying problem that might require medical intervention?  If the pediatrician doesn't have answer, perhaps you can get a referral to someone who does?

The sores are part of the herpes virus. There is nothing that you can do but try to control and treat breakouts. This is pretty well established in the medical community. I know how to treat the symptoms.  What I've been looking for is a simple lysine supplement to control the breakouts...keep them from happening to begin with. Apparently, though, there is not such a thing in a kid-friendly format. Cat, yes. Kids, no.

So, I can empty capsules or sprinkle powder or any number of things I've done before. It's just that wasn't what I was looking for.

Thanks for the thought, though.

Thanks to the suggestions about the mouthwashes. I can do that, and sometimes that does helps with the sores. It just usually doesn't last too long, IME, and it won't prevent a breakout. It's so much better to prevent the breakout to begin with.

About the SLS in toothpaste, thank you! I've never thought of that, so that's something I will be looking in to.