Menu

If we get our Christmas Tree tomorrow, will it last?

Mom2TheTeam

Bottom line:  If we get a Christmas tree tomorrow, will it last until Christmas?  If you would like to read my babble...please continue.  :lol:

We prefer to get our Christmas tree mid-Dec, but we've been getting it earlier and earlier.  The place we usually get it from allows us to reserve a cut-your-own-tree when we pick pumpkins, but it has to be picked up by a specific date, which is getting earlier and earlier every year.  This year it's next weekend.  That farm is also an hour away...actually, more like 1.5 hrs away.  (It is close to were we moved from 3 years ago...old habits die hard!)  And, on top of that they have raised their prices and are now super expensive.  They were expensive before, but now are just over the top. 

However, we like a specific kind of tree that seems to be tough to find much closer than that.  :(  (And yes, for some reason it's important to me. It's just one of those things.) 

I found one farm, within 15 minutes or so, that says they have "a few."  I'm thinking we should go tomorrow if we want to try to get one from there instead.  (Price is almost half the other place!! which is one reason we moved here. ;))

I'm nervous it won't last until Christmas.  That is a month away...And, what if we don't want to decorate it yet?  Can we put it in water on the deck or in the basement? (because the water would freeze outside ;)) I guess that is a silly question...of course we can put it in the basement and move it if we want to.  LOL! 

So, all this to ask, if we get a tree tomorrow, will it last until Christmas?

Our family tradition is to cut our own tree in the surrounding forests the weekend after Thanksgiving (leaving soon! ). Our trees always last well past Christmas. I think the key is making sure to cut a fresh cut once home and keeping it supplied with fresh water, especially those first few days. Good luck!

Our family tradition is to cut our own tree in the surrounding forests the weekend after Thanksgiving (leaving soon! ). Our trees always last well past Christmas. I think the key is making sure to cut a fresh cut once home and keeping it supplied with fresh water, especially those first few days. Good luck!

I wish we could do this.  The woods around us is all owned, either by people or by the county.  We actually back to a county park, which is pretty, but we can't cut the trees.  Plus, I really don't think they have the kind I like.  LOL!

We bought our tree yesterday.  Locally grown in the NC mountains, so it was cut just a few days ago, and a fresh cut made when we bought it.  No worries at all about it being okay until Christmas.  That's provided, of course, that it's kept well watered.  Our tree stand holds a gallon or so, and I top it up every day.

they start harvesting trees in Oct.  cut at least 4" of trunk off the bottom, and  if you can keep it watered, it should do okay.  that's the hardest part though.   there can never be a break in water intake because once that happens, it will stop sucking up water.  we always went to tree farms and cut our own to insure freshness.

we went to a fake tree because it saved us a day of hunting for a tree and in the long run is cheaper.  though I miss the smell.  I don't miss the bugs living on the tree that proceed to cover my windows,  I don't miss making sure it has water.

artificial trees drop needles too - just not as many.

I don't miss the bugs living on the tree that proceed to cover my windows

One year we suddenly found a pretty butterfly fluttering around the house around Christmas time.  Later, I found a cocoon on the tree...

We may go to an artificial, but probably not until the kids are much older.  I really have very fond memories of going Christmas tree hunting as a child.