Menu

Adults returning to school.......

TXMary2

I would think most colleges offer some sort of online programs. I am finishing up my AA (General Studies) this year and will finish up my AAS in HIM the next two semesters with the majority of my classes being online. My husband completed his BA (National University) and his MBA (Colorado State University) with 100% online courses. It's definitely possible.

Plus colleges like Phoenix University are legitimate as well. I went to Florida State College at Jacksonville and now, San Jacinto College, both community colleges.

American Public University is completely online. It is regionally accredited by the North Central Region of the Higher Learning Commission (one of the most important accreditations for undergrad and grad programs). They are not a diploma mill, and intentionally withdrew their accreditation from the national distance learning accrediting group, due to that association's connections to diploma mills. They are very reasonably priced as well........

Does the adult have some college credits already that could be applied toward a degree?

And what specific degree program is the adult considering?

A lot depends on the answer to the second question. Degree programs that are often done online include: Business, Accounting, English, Sociology, Humanities, History, Psychology, Paralegal, Criminal Justice... Degree programs that are very difficult to do exclusively online: Engineering, Pre-Med, Music, Fine Arts...

In addition to finishing a degree through online courses at a local university, or fully-accredited online institutions such as Phoenix University, the adult might be interested in a reduced time/reduced cost option through College Plus (or making their own similar arrangements), which accelerates students through a full 4-year Bachelor's program in 2 years, through a series of distance (online) courses and studying/CLEP testing.

If the adult already has some college credits, and has 2 years or less to finish the degree, it might be worthwhile to see if it could be done online with the original university, to minimize credit "loss". (While all past university credits are counted as credit, they may NOT all be counted as fulfilling specific degree program requirements -- and are just counted as "electives". Example: credits that DID count towards a degree program under an older university catalog may no longer count towards that same university's current catalog listings of degree program requirements. Also, "loss" of credits counting towards a degree can happen when transferring from one school to another -- not all credits will be counted as fulfilling degree program requirements but are instead "electives.")

BEST of luck! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Yes. I am currently enrolled at UMass Amherst, through their University Without Walls program, which has been going since 1971.

My degree program is "officially" University Without Walls, but my concentration is in community social health - heavy on public health, sociology, and psychology. For here, I plan to continue with a dual master's at another (proper) school.  I am very pleased with the program so far, and my advisor, Karen, is awesome. 

I did an MSc entirely online through University of London's SOAS Centre for Finance and Management. In my experience, recruiters/employers have not thought any less of this degree because it was done online. When I finished it, the whole program had a big graduation ceremony, and it was so cool to see lots of people from all over the world with lots of different backgrounds come together to get their degrees.