Menu

What does one do with an undergraduate degree in Classics?

Melissa B

My dd has to make a decision before the start of spring term. She is dual enrolled and has taken Latin every semester thus far. At the end of this term she will have met the foreign language requirements for both high school and state university.  She is three classes (9 credits) short of a minor in Classics and six classes (18 credits) short of a major.  She enjoys Latin and has put quite a bit of work into it, but is also very practical.  Most of the Latin students are not going to continue as they will all have met the university foreign language requirement. She wonders whether a classics degree holds any value as a second major or minor.  I can't really think of any professions other than teaching. She doesn't want to go that route as she would need at least a master's in classics before she could teach.  She isn't that interested. Words such as stretching the mind or being good for the soul get no more than an eye roll. Most people she knows are telling her to drop it now.  The classics department acknowledges that a master's degree in classics is generally the next step after earning the undergraduate degree. Would you continue with an undergraduate degree in classics even if you had no intention of pursing a masters?

We have a friend who majored in the classics who is a professional videographer and writer for one of the curriculum companies.  Another is graduating in May, and is in the final interview process for a jobs with the chief historian of the U.S. Capital or a company that sells web content to various businesses (they want someone who can do research and write well).

There are liberal arts jobs out there, but I'll note that both were top-notch, well-connected students.

As a sole degree, finding a job with just a Classics major, especially in the field, is going to be difficult.  However, classics as a second major may be very useful, even if it doesn't get used directly.  I would think that an employer trying to choose between someone with, say, just a chemistry degree, and a chemistry and Latin double major is going to see the later as someone more driven and capable, all other things being equal.  I would recommend to try to find another major she likes, but if she's close, keep going to get the second degree.

Hi, I'm a parent of student completing a classics degree as well (along with math).

You mentioned this as a second major or a minor. What is her primary field?

Here are a couple of articles that you may find to be helpful. The first is on why it makes sense to major in classics. The second explores how students can market and brand their classics major on the job market.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/career-transitions/201003/classics-majors-find-their-future-in-the-past

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/career-transitions/201003/branding-and-marketing-the-classics-major

There are liberal arts jobs out there, but I'll note that both were top-notch, well-connected students.

Yes: Calvin is applying for Classics and English.  I would be concerned about his future, except that he is applying to very good universities, where graduates get jobs based on their high scores and the reputation of the university, rather than because of the subject they study.  They are often taken on to general training positions at large companies.

L

My kids' college has an excellent classics department. Almost all of the students in the department are double majors. The classics department refused to establish a minor simply because they were afraid no one would actually major in the field if a minor were possible!

* Law school

* Almost any other field that requires good analytical skills but no specific "academic" skills

If this is the 15-yr-old in your signature, I would urge her to remember that she is well ahead of the game, and really does not have to make brutal decisions based on being practical just yet. Enjoy it while you can!  :001_smile:

I would not advise someone to have it as their sole major if they had zero interest in further schooling. It would make a hella good 2nd major or minor, though! It sets you off from the crowd - I used to plow through stacks o' resumes, and this is a *huge* factor. You didn't say what her primary interest is, so I can't say how it might work with that, other than that it is easy to give it a positive spin . . . use it to highlight intelligence, thinking outside the box, attention to details, etc. 

So, yeah, not sole major if you don't want a master's, but a great 2nd major or minor (and she is very close, 3 more classes is nothing). I would also encourage it because I think she is much too young to know for sure that she won't want a master's degree (if it's the 15-yr-old), so why shut that door? 

Words such as stretching the mind or being good for the soul get no more than an eye roll.

I didn't catch that the first time around. Is she the one doing the eye rolling? If so, it is probably not for her!

The main value my son is getting from his classics degree is the experience he's having in classes. It has been a good way to connect with very bright and motivated students and it has been intellectually satisfying. At his university nearly all of the students majoring classics are doing so as a second major or a second degree. Most are in somewhat related majors such as history, religion, or philosophy. With a related major it is fairly easy to knock it off as a second major.

What does one do with an undergraduate degree in Classics?

My daughter graduated in May with a major in Latin and a minor in Geology.  She is currently teaching English to kindergarteners and elementary aged students in South Korea.  Her ultimate plan is to pursue a degree in Library Science.

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks for all of the replies!! 

I've shared your views and discussed more with dd. She agrees that she might be shutting a door too early, that likely could not be opened again.  Once she quits the Latin classes, it would be very difficult to step back into those classes, as she is not allowed to retake any lower level Latin classes as a refresher.  She feels she can at least do three more classes and have the minor to tuck into her file.  :hurray:

Her current plan is to major in advertising (though finance and digital arts are other possibilities.)