Menu

Favorite restaurants in Atlanta?

susankenny

Where in Atlanta?

If downtown/buckhead/midtown - Varsity is a good choice. It's got hamburgers, hotdogs, grilled chicken sandwich etc.  Great for families. Chick-fi-fila is everywhere so if you don't have it locally, it's a nice change of pace, the fries are good and they have lots of salad choices if you aren't into fried food. 

They're a ton of options depending on what food you like to eat and price range...

Where, what kind of food do you like, and price range?

Varsity is fun. Get a frosted orange and try a fried pie.

My favorite upscale Southern restaurant is JCT Kitchen:

http://www.jctkitchen.com

It's on the West Side, not far from IKEA. We take all visitors there. :) Reservations would be helpful if you're going at a peak time or on a weekend. You can make them online through OpenTable.

My friend owns Wisteria in Atlanta & it is soooo yummy! The atmosphere is fabulous too! And there are great shops in the area (Inman Park neighborhood). He just recently opened up another restaurant too called Folk Art, and they are open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner! :).

I can't recommend Jason's restaurants enough! He is often featured in food magazines and has been on the cover of the AJC Food section too!

http://www.wisteria-atlanta.com/

http://folkartrestaurant.com/

My friend owns Wisteria in Atlanta & it is soooo yummy! The atmosphere is fabulous too! And there are great shops in the area (Inman Park neighborhood). He just recently opened up another restaurant too called Folk Art, and they are open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner! :).

I can't recommend Jason's restaurants enough! He is often featured in food magazines and has been on the cover of the AJC Food section too!

http://www.wisteria-atlanta.com/

http://folkartrestaurant.com/

They have the best fried chicken! DH's holiday office party is there this year. Good food for a change!

Oh, I loved Mary macs and sunflower cafe! I also really loved flying biscuit cafe!!! So yummy!!

Flying Biscuit expanded to a chain and most of the locations are terrible. So sad!

And yes, definitely have some Pepto for after the Varsity. It's more for the experience than the food...

If you want to splurge, I think Bacchanalia is definitely worth it. Miller Union is also terrific. For more everyday fare, I like Holy Taco, Taqueria del Sol (hmm, apparently I like tacos!), Souper Jenny and Community Q BBQ. If you want the whole meat-and-three Southern cooking experience, I like Greenwood's better than Mary Mac's Tea Room -- but I know that's practically sacrilegious.

With or without kids?

Without - Holman and Finch, Atlanta Fish Market, Empire State South or Horseradish Grill

With - Fat Matts - get it to go and hit the park.  Go to Botanical gardens and grab a bite after checking out the kids garden.  Sensing a theme here?  ;)

My mom's favourite restaurant in Atlanta is Canoe, which is located in the Vinings area.

Canoe is my 2nd favorite restaurant in Atlanta.

4th and Swift is divine.  

I adore Miller Union.

Rathbun's

Empire Street South

South City Kitchen

Local 3

1 Midtown Kitchen

2 Urban Licks

The Optimist

Restaurant Eugene

Holeman & Finch

Kyma

Bacchanalia

JCT  Kitchen

Where exactly in Atlanta will you be?  What kind of food?  What types of restaurants/budget?  

I eat out a lot.  A lot.  Too much.  But I appreciate and enjoy fine dining.  It's my mission to eat at all of the best restaurants in Atlanta, and....umm....I've made it to a lot of them.  Atlanta has a crazy good dining scene.  

With or without kids?

Without - Holman and Finch, Atlanta Fish Market, Empire State South or Horseradish Grill

With - Fat Matts - get it to go and hit the park.  Go to Botanical gardens and grab a bite after checking out the kids garden.  Sensing a theme here?   ;)

I totally forgot about Horseradish Grill!  I've only been there for brunch, though.  Holeman & Finch and Empire State South were both on my list, too. :-)

Fat Matts has the best BBQ and live music.  All my favorite Blues bands play there.  Oh, but those ribs....mmmmm.......

Canoe! I'm from Atlanta, and my brother and sister-in-law used to work at Canoe, its a great place, my favorite for special occasions. I also love Fellini's Pizza for a casual lunch and Mary Mac's for Southern cafeteria-style. The Flying Biscuit is fun in Decatur. If you go to the northern suburbs, like up to the Stone Mountain area, and want to try some great barbeque, a place called Spiced Right in Tucker is the BEST around - my parents go there for take out just about every week and I hit it every time I go home. Have a great visit!