Menu

Please for the love of all bananas

LucyStoner

Someone in the next apartment is practicing piano. We like music. We have 3 music students here (me and the kids) and 1 accomplished musician (my husband) on our side of the wall. So practicing is not a bad thing. But it's a grating piece and it's being played so badly. It's a meh jazz standard to begin with but to make it worse they are playing like the same 4 lines over and over and over again. It's nearly 10pm here if that matters.

I keep rooting for them to stop messing up on the same part. No dice.

I actually don't really care about the noise but find it a mixture of humorous and annoying. I am going to have to find the piece and listen to the end or else it will be on replay for days in my head.

Should I have my 4 year old practice his violin next to our shared wall when I know they are home? Generally I have both my sons practice when I know out closest neighbors are gone and they don't after 9pm or even after dinner. My husband headphones his late night piano practice so no one hears it.

Runs away wickedly.

Oh wait, they just advanced past that part a little. Yay them. And now it starts again. Ok.

I find it effective to press my biggest speakers up against the wall of the offending neighbor and play

over and over for several hours.  

Come to think of it, I still owe my downstairs neighbor for the time she left her tv cranked up all the way with the dvd menu music for Twilight playing.  For eight hours.  Thanks for the reminder. ;)

I am pretty certain there is no musical payback worse than a 4 year old on a very teeny violin. Though, it might be considered an inhumane torture and violation of the Geneva convention. So Copeland may have to do...

Beef. It's what's for dinner. (I don't suppose they are vegetarians?)

Can he play all the Twinkles? Make sure his E string is wildly out of tune to add to the payback factor. You may have to set up an amplifier if the violin can't project significantly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24967042 Spanish pianist faces jail over noise pollution claims

As I'm reading this, ds is playing 2 piano chords from a polonaise over and over and over again ... makes me feel a little sympathy for that neighbor.

And I will shamefully admit to having once (in a fit of sensory overload) asked dd to "please find somewhere soundproof to practice that saxophone"!