Menu

Names that end with s and possession

This seems to be very controversial.  One source even said it doesn't really matter with names?

When a name ends in "s"....let's say James for example, do you show possession with s' or 's.

James' room is clean.

James's room is clean.

I have seen just as many sources says one as the other.  

Both are acceptable. If I recall correctly one might be an English variant and the other an American. Just the same as how the words colour/color, jail/gaol, cheque/check, grey/gray, center/centre are all acceptable.

My son is James and I just use James' all the time. Saves myself typing the extra s.

I do think is also read once that syllables matter also. James' is for one syllable but for a name like Moses it would be Moses's.

This seems to be very controversial.  One source even said it doesn't really matter with names?

When a name ends in "s"....let's say James for example, do you show possession with s' or 's.

James' room is clean.

James's room is clean.

I have seen just as many sources says one as the other.  

One or 't other.

Rod and Staff's handbook says just the apostrophe. ABeka's says 's with these exceptions:

Exceptions: The following may be correctly written by adding the apostrophe only: (1) ancient proper nouns ending in -es, (2) the name Jesus, and (3) such expressions as for conscience' sake.

Socrates' pupil, Pericles' role, Aristophanes' comedies, Moses' rod, Jesus' birth, for righteousness' sake, for conscience' sake, for goodness' sake

Notice that the names given as examples are multisyllabic names, unlike James, which does end in es but it's a final silent e, making the single vowel say its second (long) sound, so there's only one syllable. Spalding geek here. :D

I'm going to go with ABeka.

I don't know about you, but *I* say "James-es"--two syllables--when I talk about his room. To write it only as James' doesn't seem right, lol.

Strunk and White say James's (for everybody except Jesus and Moses). I do whatever S&W tell me, so that's how I vote. :)

Is this a book? I've heard of it before and think maybe I need to get myself a copy.

I just read that its as a possessive is not it's, but its. I have always used it's: The cat is black. It's coat is very soft.

I'm feeling like I'm failing grammar and we've hardly started!!!!

One or 't other.

Rod and Staff's handbook says just the apostrophe. ABeka's says 's with these exceptions:

Notice that the names given as examples are multisyllabic names, unlike James, which does end in es but it's a final silent e, making the single vowel say its second (long) sound, so there's only one syllable. Spalding geek here. :D

I'm going to go with ABeka.

I don't know about you, but *I* say "James-es"--two syllables--when I talk about his room. To write it only as James' doesn't seem right, lol.

Oops I guess I got the syllable thing around the wrong way. :) I just know after my son was born that for the first time in my life I had to figure out how to write his possessive correctly. I settled on James', knowing that it wasn't actually incorrect, and I have stuck with it since. :)

Wouldn't you say Moses-es room with three syllables too?

Is this a book? I've heard of it before and think maybe I need to get myself a copy.

I just read that its as a possessive is not it's, but its. I have always used it's: The cat is black. It's coat is very soft.

Strunk and White's book is The Elements of Style. It's a wonderful, slim volume that covers all the basics of grammar and usage without getting overly complicated. And for what it's worth, I had to check the punctuation rule for the compound possessive in my previous sentence; I think we all have a few grammar points that give us guff. :)

Bela,

Any idea what it says about punctuation being inside as opposed to outside of quotation marks? That is another one that has many acceptable variances.

In most cases, they have the punctuation within the quotation marks. I've been a real stickler about this one, which annoys the heck out of my student. I think my vehemence was created by the editor of a little newspaper for which I did typesetting; if anybody put punctuation outside the quotation marks, this editor would turn all shades of purple. 

In most cases, they have the punctuation within the quotation marks. I've been a real stickler about this one, which annoys the heck out of my student. I think my vehemence was created by the editor of a little newspaper for which I did typesetting; if anybody put punctuation outside the quotation marks, this editor would turn all shades of purple. 

This varies by country.  The following are the only the only correct versions, to my knowledge, in the UK:

Why would anyone deny that, "An Englishman's home is his castle"?

Shakespeare certainly did write, "To be or not to be"!

One of the most poignant phrases in First World War poetry is, "There is a corner of a foreign field".

In each case, the terminal punctuation belongs not to the quotation but to the sentence that encloses it, and it therefore sits outside the inverted commas.

L

I know it has become acceptable to do either, but really James' for a single James looks very wrong to me because it looks like it is something belonging to lots of people named Jame.  Doing it t'other way brings it in line with how we do possessives for all other names.

But I know newspapers always do it James'.

This varies by country.  The following are the only the only correct versions, to my knowledge, in the UK:

Why would anyone deny that, "An Englishman's home is his castle"?

Shakespeare certainly did write, "To be or not to be"!

One of the most poignant phrases in First World War poetry is, "There is a corner of a foreign field".

In each case, the terminal punctuation belongs not to the quotation but to the sentence that encloses it, and it therefore sits outside the inverted commas.

L

Yes, I think those are correct in the US too, but that situation is much more rare.  It's nearly always inside, at least here, because the punctuation nearly always goes with the sentence being spoken.  That's certainly the case with writing dialogue for stories and most quotations for essays.

And, of course, in France, there would be -- on some of those for some reason, I believe.  European punctuation is quite a mystery to me.

Somewhere along the way you missed that class. :-) "It's" is always a contraction, never a possessive. :-)

I married a family with an S ending last name.  They add -es to the end.  I do not do it. LOL   Think Riggs..Riggses. 

They are correct. You must learn to adapt, lol.

When a noun ends with /s/, /z/, /ch/, /sh/, /j/ (and those are the sounds, you know, regardless of how they are actually spelled) you always add -es to make it plural. If it's a verb and you're changing its case (I forget the exact grammatical term), as in walk/walks, sing/sings/, if it ends with /s/, /z/, /ch/, /sh/, /j/ you add -es.

Yes, I think those are correct in the US too, but that situation is much more rare.  It's nearly always inside, at least here, because the punctuation nearly always goes with the sentence being spoken.  That's certainly the case with writing dialogue for stories and most quotations for essays.

And, of course, in France, there would be -- on some of those for some reason, I believe.  European punctuation is quite a mystery to me.

These are also correct in British English (from the Oxford Style Guide)

When a sentence-long quotation is used as an explanation or specimen, the full point usually does not fall within the closing quotation mark:

Cogito, ergo sum means 'I think, therefore I am'.

Let A stand for 'There exists at least one tree in real space'.

He believed in the proverb 'Dead men tell no tales'.

L

ok so my child's name is actually Silas....now how would you should possession?  I have been reworking phrases in order to avoid his name + possession because I always second guess myself.   :confused:   He is four now and I am tired of thinking so hard about it.  

According to Strunk and White (and ABeka, lol), it would be Silas's.

It's a style issue- pick the one that looks correct to you and be consistent. I personally cannot stand the -s's so I teach my kids -s'

I agree with your first sentence and am on the exact opposite side with your second.  :lol: I learned grammar with A Beka, and I strongly prefer -s's.  Because I know this is an issue with so many differing opinions, though, one of my rules for naming our kids is no name ending in the letter s.  I don't want to cringe every time someone writes it the way I don't like!

I was very sad when I was writing my master's thesis on Rene Descartes, because the style guide I was required to use (APA) says to use -s's in general, but -s' for an unpronounced final s.  It even used Descartes' as the example!

I was very sad when I was writing my master's thesis on Rene Descartes, because the style guide I was required to use (APA) says to use -s's in general, but -s' for an unpronounced final s.  It even used Descartes' as the example!

And Rene said, "I think not!" And promptly disappeared.

* Rimshot* I'm here all week, everybody. Try the veal.

And Rene said, "I think not!" And promptly disappeared.

Sorry if this is off topic, but while we're on the subject of grammar, I have a question about this one here (is this an example from a book?): could this be understood as 1 sentence?  It seems like it could be read as a single sentence but the ! within the quotation marks and the following capital "And" throws me off and looks like it must be 2 sentences?  Thanks in advance for clarification!

Oh! I wish I knew about the quotations when I was in high school. I remember getting a ton of red marks for having punctuation outside of the quotation marks!

Here's another one for the experts here. What about when you end a sentence with an abbreviated word. Do you have a period or does one of the dots count?

I live in the U.S.A.

or

I live in the U.S.A..

(I have been rephrasing to avoid this!)

Thank you, Laura - giving extra punctuation to quotes annoys me (I clearly have too little to do!). I am an Evans by birth. The plural is still Evans and the possessive is Evans'. While I adore Strunk and White (the book was THE style guide at Sydney Uni), I'm afraid if either gentleman had an "s" ending name, they might have felt differently. "Evans's" sounds like something out of a bad comedy skit! And I can clearly recall the 4th grade grammar lesson in which we studied this rule. I was very excited: my surname was in the book!

D

You just killed a kitten! :lol:

It's = It is :D

Possessive pronouns: my, your, his, her, its, our, their

Now my question is if you're in the south, do you say y'alls or y'all's for plural 2nd person possession?

As to the topic at hand, I was taught:

Jesus' fish

James' dog

Descartes' idea

The Evanses are coming for dinner. (Although I do prefer to just say the Evans.)

The Evans' car just pulled up.

And punctuation always goes inside the quotation marks, whether or not it was part of the original quotation. I don't agree with this one, but I've never been taught that it was debatable.

I suppose it would be y'all's, but I think anyone who would actually write y'all + possession probably wouldn't care all that much about the grammar of it.

I do sometimes write y'all's. :lol: (I swear, I use proper English most of the time!)

I was just wondering because "its" does not have an apostrophe, and I wondered if "y'all" would follow the same convention. I'd hate for someone to think I was trying to say "y'all is". :smilielol5:

You just killed a kitten! :lol:

It's = It is :D

Possessive pronouns: my, your, his, her, its, our, their

Now my question is if you're in the south, do you say y'alls or y'all's for plural 2nd person possession?

It is "y'alls." No apostrophe. Why would there be a second apostrophe?? Hers, his, ours, theirs, yours, y'alls. See?