Menu

Public school called and wants to know where my children are....

DS/10 and DD/12 went to school last year. Before that they had been home schooled every year except for 1 when I was in the hospital. Anyway, we are keeping them home and I didn't see any need to notify the school of our intentions. We live in a state where there is no reporting whatsoever; so legally I have no reason to.

Now, do I call them back to say they are not coming back or do I just let them wonder? I am not trying to instigate anything here, just wondering why it is their business what I do with my dc. :001_huh:

I'd call them back and just let them know. Here we are not legally required to phone the school they would be in and let them know, but it is encouraged as a courtesy.

DS/10 and DD/12 went to school last year. Before that they had been home schooled every year except for 1 when I was in the hospital. Anyway, we are keeping them home and I didn't see any need to notify the school of our intentions. We live in a state where there is no reporting whatsoever; so legally I have no reason to.

When a child is transferred out of a school, it's common courtesy to send a note. It can be as simple as, "My child is no longer enrolled in your school. Thank you." However, they may want to know where they should forward your childrens' records, so I would add, "No transfer of records will be necessary."

When we lived in Oklahoma and pulled our dc out of the ps system, they never called us. In Ok, you actually have to go to the school and enroll your dc every year. At least, you did when we lived there! That was nice, because if they weren't enrolled, they weren't enrolled.

However, when we lived in Michigan and didn't send dc to the ps, the administrative office called and asked where dc were. I told them, "Thank you for calling. We have enrolled our dc in a private school this year.(our own private school!) If we need records transferred, we'll call and let you know" And....that was that.

As the others have said it's common courtesy and helps them plan their classroom space but I would also request their records. They may not give them to you but when I pulled mine out of a private school to homeschool them they did and this year it helped that I had them. The college my dd wanted to go to need her immunization records. My dd's doctor had given me one but I couldn't find it. The college said I could use school records as proof so I pulled out my dd's old records and sent them in. Worked great. You never know when those records may come in handy.

When a child is transferred out of a school, it's common courtesy to send a note. It can be as simple as, "My child is no longer enrolled in your school. Thank you." However, they may want to know where they should forward your childrens' records, so I would add, "No transfer of records will be necessary."

:iagree: with dragons in the flower bed. When I pulled my out,I didn't want to inform them either. It was eplained to me that the school is really protecting itself. Can you imagine what would happen if something happenned to a student and the school did not report the student as missing?

I'll return the call and follow up with a letter notifying them that the children won't be attending there facility any more. To me that is protection against some nosy-Parker calling in a truant report. I'd rather spend the 15 minutes of dealing with that the the possible hours having to deal with "the system."

Now, do I call them back to say they are not coming back or do I just let them wonder? I am not trying to instigate anything here, just wondering why it is their business what I do with my dc. :001_huh:

Personally, I would call them back and let them know. Not because you are required to, but because schools have to determine their staffing at the beginning of the year. Schools are shifting staffing and teachers and classes, etc, and it is really helpful for them to know what they have to plan for.

I would call and let them know, and also follow up with it in writing.

I'm curious as to what state you're in? I'm in Texas, and though we don't have reporting laws in general, if your student is enrolled in the ps and you take them out, THEN it is required to notify them about not returning. That's not the case if your child has never been IN the ps, but it is if you're pulling them out of it. :)

Anyway. I'd let them know so that they don't report to truancy and it gets all blown out of proportion. :)

I live in IN, where there is no reporting. The last time we "tried" ps and I didn't send them back there was no phone call. So, I guess I was curious why they were calling me this time. I don't mind calling but I guess I am just a little leary of their phone call wondering what could be behind it. They have in the past asked for written documentation of my hsing and I have had to advise them of the law.

I guess it doesn't matter if I call and say they won't be there this year, just wanted some opinions on the matter.

I guess I'd call them, just as a courtesy.

I actually called the school this morning and talked to the secretary and made sure they had sent his records to his umbrella school. I live in a state where you do have to report, but we go with an umbrella school so I don't have to deal with the ps. I also don't have to give my kids that blasted state test if I don't want to!