Menu

What resources would you recommend for a mama with limited speaking ability?

I have a friend with a neurological condition that affects her ability to speak who is interested in homeschooling. From what I understand, she can speak but it can be painful and some days are worse than others.

What resources would you recommend for her? I'm thinking online and audio stuff, but I don't know much about what's out there along those lines.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you may have! :)

What ages?

Here are some ideas off the top of my head:

audiobooks

picture books with CDs (often in library kits)

Teaching Textbooks for math

documentaries for history/science

Lyrical Life Science CDs

Geography Songs CDs

Bible on CD, The Singing Bible if Christian

Co-op classes

I'd suggest trading teaching for another service. Perhaps a friend could teach a subject that is difficult for her to teach and she could edit papers, clean house, babysit etc.

I hope she finds a way to make it work!

I agree with Rosie, I'd focus my efforts on learning and using sign (mom and all the kids as ages allow). Outside of that, at six, I'd just do great audio stories. As her voice allows, have the six year old read I See Sam books. The daughter would be reading those. This is a great way to learn to read and doesn't take much voice from the parent compared to other programs I've used.  I have a link to download free copies. Maybe use Education Unboxed videos (the daughter can watch them, then they do whatever together) online with c-rods for math. Another idea is Dreambox math. It's all online and quite good. She could fill in not covered subjects like measuring, clocks, etc. when her voice allows. Use Handwriting Without Tears for handwriting perhaps. Magic School Bus videos (you can buy all of them in a set) are great for science. SOTW CD's, liberty kids, and similar can be history if she feels she needs it.

But I wouldn't stress out when the voice isn't working/we didn't get to those subjects anything close to daily.  It's ok at her age. I'd focus on the communication alternatives.

I suffer from reoccurring issues with speech, especially when my seizures are out of control. It's SO frustrating to try and teach without being able to talk a lot or correctly.

Choosing materials that the student can read to themselves silently or outloud helps. Some of the Amish curricula are quite good. Some of the worktext curricula are good.

Audio books with matching texts, including audio Bibles are great.

Magic School bus and other DVDs. iPad apps. Computer games.

Lots of art materials.

Once the student can read, just lots and lots of living books from the library.

For those ages,

Sign Language - Signing Times DVD from library

Math - Dreambox

Reading - Reading Eggs

Handwriting - Handwriting without Tears (HWOT) does not need much talking for the parent

Science - Magic School Bus DVDS, Bill Nye DVDs,  The Way Things Work DVDs, Disney Imagineering DVDs from library

Listening to books - Scholastic Books DVDs. American Tall Tales & Legends DVDs,  Liberty Kids DVDs from the library. You can turn Close Caption on so kid can follow the text