Menu

umbrella, cover, non-trad. private schools? what states allow them?

Sharon37127

My ds attends a non-traditional private school here in GA. Secondary students (7th-12th) attend 3 days per week; elementary attend 2 days per week. He takes his core classes there and this year he's also taking a couple of classes online through a virtual school. Some people refer to the school as a "homeschool school" but it is very much school, just without going daily. There are a couple other programs--homeschool schools, ones that are accredited--that are similar, but each has slightly different requirements.

My friend asked me a similar question so listening eagerly..

Her DH needs to move for work (anywhere is a possibility right now really, he has no job) and her kids want to continue with an Independent study program (teacher supervised, with some classes that would meet via skype or the like and teachers grading assignments via email) from a California private school they know here (here in CA private schools do not have to be "accredited", just registered with the state if that matters).

She is not comfortable just straight out homeschooling as English is her 2nd language and is not familiar with regulations/schooling/college here.

Are there states where she could file nothing.....and just enroll her kids in the private school? California falls here and I am guessing Texas as well???

What about the states where she could file a "form" or letter once a year and be done (no portfolio/testing/visits)?

And then I assume there are some states where she would have to file a form or letter and then do some portfolio or testing???

Is there any state where it would flat out not be allowed (ie you have to use their state approved curriculum or parents must do all their own teaching)???

In Maryland you can go with an umbrella group. I don't know about the other options as I stopped hsing about 3yrs ago. But, there's a couple of umbrella groups that cover most of MD and are pretty open to alternatives ways to hsing.

Yup. I am the regional director for one of them. ;)

Otherwise, there are no "non-traditional" schools to oversee homeschooling. You have to educate your children, and can't claim homeschooling and use an non-accredited school. (Though there are plenty of Waldorf, Montessory, and other non-traditional schools to which you can send your child.) There are two schools approved to oversee homeschoolers as a distance education option: Calvert and Griggs International (both are B&M schools in the state).

If you have any MD specific questions, you can PM me. I'll be happy to try to get you the answers you need.

In Ct there are no requirements for homeschoolers--only suggested procedures. If you do decide to follow suggested procedures, you fill out a Letter of Intent at the start of the year and have a portfolio review at the end. I did it the first year and haven't again since. It was very low key and just seemed kind of pointless.

As far as I know there are no umbrella schools, only charter, magnet, and private as alternatives to public . HTH

I am looking states that do allow this as alternative to filing anything with the state.  TN has church-related schools, FL has non-traditional private schools, and maybe called "cover" in AL?  They can offer a wide range of services from practically attendance only all the way to specifying curriculum and dealing with transcripts...

Thanks so much. 

There are some non traditional private schools here, but I'm not sure if I'm thinking of the same thing you are. 

If one were to use an umbrella, cover, non traditional schooling arrangement, they still need to report as a homeschooler.  There is nothing forbidding anyone from using these things, it is just that they don't exempt one from following the homeschool regs.  I'm in NY.

Definitely depends on the state. In TN, if  you use a cover/umbrella, you go by the umbrella's rules, and not the state homeschooling regs.