Menu

For those avoiding plastic...would you freeze in glass?

Katherine B. in TX who used to post here freezes all kinds of stuff in canning jars. So I froze spaghetti sauce in canning jars, mostly with good results. But a couple of the jars broke, even though I left plenty of headspace and didn't tighten the lids until the sauce was frozen. It is frustrating to work that hard on something and then have to throw it out.

I let them cool off in the fridge and then put them in the freezer, and leave plenty of headroom as you suggest. I also use the widemouthed jars as I think that that shape is less conducive to high pressure in the freezer expansion phase, and also so that once the sides are melted, the whole block just slides out into a pot for reheating.

I know I'd need to leave plenty of headspace, but I'm thinking about putting this applesauce in mason jars instead of ziploc bags because I really prefer to stay away from plastic when possible. Anyone done this?

I only do jam in jars because I just don't have the room for it all if I don't do bags.

So are you folks putting these jars on the very bottom of your freezer or do you have an upright to keep them from tipping over? With all the odd shapes (chicken, roasts, etc.), I would worry about them breaking, banging into each other or falling over, etc...

So are you folks putting these jars on the very bottom of your freezer or do you have an upright to keep them from tipping over? With all the odd shapes (chicken, roasts, etc.), I would worry about them breaking, banging into each other or falling over, etc...

Yes, I have an upright so it is relatively easy to keep them all standing straight.

I've frozen many things in the past. As others have said, just make sure to leave plenty of head room.

I tend to use plastic bags (still...ugh) for loose things like frozen corn, berries, etc. But, for liquid items, I use glass. Like others, I usually cool them in the fridge first, or on the countertop which I'm willing to risk because I don't use meat in my pasta sauce. I also agree that wide mouthed jars work better because of their shape, both for freezing and for thawing. We have a chest type freezer, so all the jars go in the very bottom or on the one "shelf". I just did a few jars of applesauce last week, and I have a box of tomatoes set for making sauce this week. I only had a problem once when I left less than an inch of headroom.

Have fun!