Menu

What would these hard-to-buy-for people like as gifts? Suggestions please :)

ChristusG

I'm starting Christmas shopping early. I hate rushing around at the last minute, wondering what to purchase for certain people.

3/4 of my grandparents are still living. They are in good health, enjoy getting out, etc. They have everything they need. I feel like I get them the same impersonal gifts each year......restaurant gift cards, a shirt, etc. I'm wanting to get something better this year but can't spend too much. Maybe $30 - $40 each.

Then there's some young people. A couple teen girls, a college girl, and a newlywed couple....all my cousins. No clue what to get lol. Last year I did a small basket of a movie and candy. I've done a $15 gift card each before too. Any better ideas?

I would LOVE to finish these early.

Our philosophy is you don't give grandparents anything that they need to dust or find a place for.   So yes, gift cards to restaurants are a favorite.   Often they like the gift of spending time with them.    Pictures of kids are always part of our gift to them. 

Younger college kids?  I don't know.   Sometimes a magazine subscription like to Bon Appettit is a fun gift for a young couple.

Newlyweds: something off their registry they didn't get already, or, a "romantic movie" basket. You can get some inexpensive dvd's at WM or Target, add a few wine glasses and a bottle of wine. 

Teen girls: what are they into? If they're nerdy stuff, Thinkgeek.com has some cool things and they often have things on clearance. Otherwise, I don't think there's a teen girl alive who doesn't like gift cards to clothing stores, Forever 21. Also, my teen likes sketch pads and journals with drawing pencils or different colored pens.

College girl: cool stuff for her dorm room? GCs for Subway, or Dominoes or some other eatery. Itunes cards. 

Grandparents. Check Walgreens photo department for specials on personalized mugs, calendars, enlargements, collages, etc. My parents LOVE anything with pictures of my kids on them. Or, if your children have some sort of artsy talent, have them make cd's of them singing or playing an instrument. Or, have them create something and either have it framed, or transferred onto canvas. OR, a photo calendar with everyone's birthdates printed on the respective birth days. One friend of mine wears a sweatshirt with her grandkids' footprints all over it with "My grandkids walk all over me" on the front.  OR, if there's some special sort of wine or spirit they enjoy, see about having a bottle sent to them. My dad likes a specific winery in the midwest, so I always have two bottles of whatever the holiday special wine is sent to him for Christmas. 

For grandparents we always made calendars with photographs of the kids, something the kids made, and something yummy to eat. No purchased "stuff".

College students are probably happiest with a gift card. itunes, Starbucks, amazon, or some eateries close to campus.

Newlyweds: they only need so much stuff for their new household. Giftcard to a restaurant or movie for a fun night out.

My parents like concert/show tickets to our community college shows (both college and professional entertainers that come in).

Another thought, ebay is a great place to find old photos for special local places that might have been very meaningful to them, especially old photos or postcards of places that are torn down by now. You could just search the name of the town they were born in to find old mementos.   

My grandparents and their same-generation relatives always really appreciated fruit as a gift.  You can send a box of pears or citrus or whatnot from Harry and David.  I wouldn't send grapefruit, though, unless you know for a fact it won't react with any of their medications.

I would not give fruit to any teenagers, however.  Somehow I do not see that being a memorable gift in a good way.

I second a PP's suggestion to shop Thinkgeek.com.  Even if the teen girls are not nerdy, the humorous stuff is still "geek chic". 

What about a gift certificate to the movies for the newlywed couple?  They may not have the resources anymore for date nights.

I'm starting Christmas shopping early. I hate rushing around at the last minute, wondering what to purchase for certain people.

3/4 of my grandparents are still living. They are in good health, enjoy getting out, etc. They have everything they need. I feel like I get them the same impersonal gifts each year......restaurant gift cards, a shirt, etc. I'm wanting to get something better this year but can't spend too much. Maybe $30 - $40 each.

I'm making a shutterfly album for dh's Granny. It will have at least one photo of each of her children, grandchildren, and the greats. With shipping, it will cost me around $35, from what I can remember....

While we are not retired, we are empty nesters and grandparents of 9.  I would love a calendar each and every year of those grand kids!

I agree with whoever said nothing that needs dusting!  Dinner GC are great.  Special coffee that we love, or bottle of wine and some great cheese. 

SOmething they love but woulnd't necessarily buy for themselves.

I am trying to think what my newlywedded kids needed those first couple of years.....We bought them Costco memberships.

I like the magazine idea..buy a new one and wrap it with something that goes along with the them of the magazine.

i think Gift cards for college kids are ok, but maybe wrap it with some cute socks, or a new scarf or gloves or chocolate!

My parents like concert/show tickets to our community college shows (both college and professional entertainers that come in).

Another thought, ebay is a great place to find old photos for special local places that might have been very meaningful to them, especially old photos or postcards of places that are torn down by now. You could just search the name of the town they were born in to find old mementos.

My aunt started a business about 15 years ago doing this very thing. She has a giant inventory of various historic/scenic postcards, but will also use your photos as well to use on notecards, coasters, magnets, or as framed art, etc.

I wish I knew how to insert links on my phone...

postcardsasart.com

Sorry, this won't realy help. I'm one of those hard to buy for people.  (Probably most similar to g'parents).  I feel like I have everything I need, I don't want to add more clutter to the house, and if I really want hubby to buy me something I tell him. So usually at Christmas time I REALLY mean it, PLEASE don't buy me anything unless I've asked for it.  :)

As someone else suggested, I also have done live wreaths or, when one was hosting Christmas but we were not there, a live greenery centerpiece.  I love wreaths and tend to think everyone likes what I do.  Possibly, that is not true.

One year, I gave freezer meals.  That was a huge, huge hit, but a lot of work for me at a time of the year that I really did not need more work.

Another year, I gave my mom a hand-pieced and hand-quilted (by me) Christmas table cover.  It was beautiful, and I'd worked on it for months.  She responded with no emotion whatsoever.  I hope she at least stores it safely so that I can have it back when she dies.  That has nothing to do with your question--just throwing it out there because it is 3 am I can't sleep, and I am dredging up old insults.  But back to the question...

I gave my dad a crock pot one year--he still tells me several times a year what an awesome gift that was.  I gave my daughter one of those small blenders with the glass you drink out of, and she uses it multiple times a week.  

We gave one set of grandparents a Wii one year; not in your budget (it wasn't in ours, either--we went in together with siblings), but it went over very well in case anyone else is trolling for weird ideas.

How about a Christmas ornament for the newlyweds?  My tree now looks like a Christmas store exploded all over it, but in my younger days, it was naked and would have loved a special new ornament.

Girl cousins--how about a gift certificate for a local nail salon?