Menu

Need Help with Singapore Style Bar Graphs

umsami

So, we switched to a Singapore style math program and DS is having trouble with the whole draw the bar graph type models.  I can look at the problems, and figure them out using algebra, but I know that's not the point. (Nor does it help DS).

Are there any books/websites out there that can help?

TIA. :)

There's Elementary Mathematics for Teachers and The Singapore Model Method, both sold by singaporemath.com.

The HIG should help you as well.

The best thing you can do is master these yourself, so I'd recommend that you work through the Challenging Word Problems books ahead of your child starting with the 3rd grade book.

My dd struggled for a while with bar graphs. To teach her I basically used super simple word problems and drew the bar graphs to go with them to help her understand the idea of them. For example, Tony has 5 apples and Maria has 6 apples. How many do they have altogether? We would draw a bar graph for this so she could understand the concept without having to worry about figuring out the answer because the answer was so easy. Then we moved on to super simple subtraction problems. When we encountered more difficult numbers and problems, we worked through the problems together and focused on drawing or adding each piece of information given in the problem to our bar graph.

She's really good at them now, but it took quite a few months. In fact I remembering asking a question about bar graphs and if they were necessary since she could solve the problems without drawing the graphs. It as a resounding yes that she needed to learn how to do it, so we camped there for a bit and worked on it.

http://www.singaporemath.com/Fan_Math_Process_Skills_in_Prob_Solving_L1_p/fmpsps1.htm  I've seen this series recommended several times, but I have not used it. We have rarely needed the bar model until this year (4A and 4B), so I am working on learning it too. I have to practice ahead as another poster recommended, and I have had to set up an algebra problem at times to figure it out and then work my way backwards (with really rusty algebra). Thankfully the thought process is in the answer key.

http://www.singaporemath.com/Fan_Math_Process_Skills_in_Prob_Solving_L1_p/fmpsps1.htm  I've seen this series recommended several times, but I have not used it. We have rarely needed the bar model until this year (4A and 4B), so I am working on learning it too. I have to practice ahead as another poster recommended, and I have had to set up an algebra problem at times to figure it out and then work my way backwards (with really rusty algebra). Thankfully the thought process is in the answer key.

I hate the damned graphs too, but the resoorce linked above was useful. There is a subset of problems for which my DS can solve without need of drawing a graph, ("M had 3 times the apples S had, they altogether had X, find how many apples S had"), and for those I do not insist on the bar graph, but otherwise, the Process Skill resource was great.

And some kids just don't click with the graphs. In my HIG it always gave two solutions, one with a graph and one with numbers. Heck, sometimes it was more than one graph or more than one numerical solution, because that is how SM works, lol.

My son never went for the bar graphs. He always preferred working with the numbers and he got it correct. He found the bar graphs 'a waste of time'. When he read a problem, he saw the numbers in his head, not the picture. So, if your child doesn't like the bar graphs, but works well with the numbers then feel free to stick with that. I did make sure that my son saw the problem worked out with a bar graph for most problems, but I stopped insisting he use them when it became clear that he didn't like them.

I have a series of posts on my blog to help parents (and students) learn to use bar model diagrams. You can start here and go through the series in order:

I want to thank you for creating these wonderful posts. Although I never used your problems, it inspired me to create Harry Potter-themed Maths questions for my dd.

FYI, we had an enormous breakthough with the bar diagrams after hitting a brick wall with the kind where you need to draw two bars (do these types have names?).  The kind of problem where "Ann and Betty had the same number of  shoes.  After Ann lost 6 and Betty sold 2, Betty had twice as many as Ann".  

For some reason, drawing the two bars directly on top of each other, and touching, made something click to make comparisons between them obvious that somehow weren't obvious when they were just a bit apart.

FYI, we had an enormous breakthough with the bar diagrams after hitting a brick wall with the kind where you need to draw two bars (do these types have names?).  The kind of problem where "Ann and Betty had the same number of  shoes.  After Ann lost 6 and Betty sold 2, Betty had twice as many as Ann".  

For some reason, drawing the two bars directly on top of each other, and touching, made something click to make comparisons between them obvious that somehow weren't obvious when they were just a bit apart.

All bar models fall into two basic types: comparison, and part-part-whole. The example you quoted is a comparison model.

In the lower grades, using Cuisinaire rods to make the models is helpful for the young child who is still in the concrete stage.

Thank you for this.  I had to pull out my HIG from last year to work through DS math problems tonight.  They are using Math in Focus and had a dozen word problems to do.  I couldn't remember how to do them and I know I'm not teaching it well.  I'll have to go through these links with him this weekend before his big test next week.  We both just need a refresher.  

We recently had the same/or at least similar break through. We modify the first model to reflect the changes with the new information. It's helped a lot.

OP, the FAN math linked above really helped/helps us. It clearly steps the adult/child through each type of problem.