Menu

Help me cut the iPhone cord

Lady Florida.

Some of my in-laws have Galaxies and really like them. I have screen envy -- would really like a bigger screen than my iPhone 4S.

DH was hesitant to switch to Android only because of the money we put into apps that we'd end up buying again. However, the kids have outgrown many of those and we don't use some others, so that may become less of an issue.

What certainly discourages us a bit from considering the iPhone 5 is the new connectors -- can't even get an adapter to use the new with our auxiliary devices. Not cool.

We will muddle through for a while with what we have. Budget is tight, and whatever change we make will cost us quite a bit.

Um, I have over 1000 albums (over 500 gigabytes of full resolution music) in iTunes, and not 1 song was purchased from Apple. Zero. Zip. Nada .

It is not hard to sync music with iDevices using iTunes. And the networking possibilities are brilliant!

I can listen to any digitized music via "AirPlay" on any device without transferring files if I'm on the home WiFi network, and can use iTunes (and the iPad or iPod, or iPhone as a remote to sent wireless music to either home stereo set-ups, or to the iDevices, with full control over playlists, start-stop-pause-skip-mute-volume functions, and really great search capabilities.

If one takes advantage of all the powerful iTunes features, it really is like living in the 21st Century :D

Bill

Can you wait a couple months? The Motorola X is supposed to be going down to $99 on contract by the holidays. A friend picked one up, and I have to admit I'm charmed. Absolutely charmed.

I love my gs3, but I've stripped it of the the Samsung bloatware... Other than the multitasking I didn't see any value in their add-on apps, and I didn't like their UI (I use Nova Launcher instead).

How did you get rid of the bloatware?

I should note that I have the Samsung Rugby. It's a ruggedized Galaxy, not as powerful as the latest Samsungs but it can take much more of a beating then a regular smart phone which was important considering how clumsy I can be. I love it.

If I were to buy one again though I might get one with a micro hdmi port so we could stream Netflix through it to the TV.

I think I would just opt for the S4 and a rugged case.

The screen size alone would stop me from getting the Rugby, but the screen size is one of the main reasons I am looking at switching.  Stupid screen on the iphone 4 is good for very little, old eyes and all.

Dawn

I should note that I have the Samsung Rugby. It's a ruggedized Galaxy, not as powerful as the latest Samsungs but it can take much more of a beating then a regular smart phone which was important considering how clumsy I can be. I love it.

If I were to buy one again though I might get one with a micro hdmi port so we could stream Netflix through it to the TV.

I have had the Galaxy line since it's first inception and I've loved all of them.  Currently have the S3 and I don't see myself upgrading for a long time, it's the perfect phone for me.  Not an Apple person at all, I don't like a "closed" system.

Just converted my Iphone 4 loving friend to my phone, she loves it and by trading in her Ipone, she spent like $1 for her S3 at RadioShack!

My friend has the HTC One gets really hot when charging and has no expandable storage which is a huge deal breaker for me.  She wishes she hadn't chose it.    I have a 64 GB sd card where I keep my photos, videos, movies, audiobooks and ebooks.  Cloud storage is fine but I don't trust it to always be available.  I'm just like that.

Skype on this thing is incredible, the stock camera is great but I added the Cymera app for great editing features as well.  Battery Doctor app helps charge it properly and keeps the battery in tip top condition.  Zero Lemon has extended batteries for the S3, I bought one that gives me a baseline of 50 hours of battery fully charged I use for camping.

Nothing wrong with the S3 and now that the S4 is out you should be able to get a good deal on it.

You do know that the Android has its own market that one could also refer to a "baby leash."

My son has a Nexus 7 tablet and we are chained to the Android/Google market for apps/games.  

If you are talking about music or movies, well, we use Amazon for music and the Flixter App for movies.  Did you know that BOTH of those are available for Android and Apple?  So, we can still share music and movies between devices.

Dawn

Actually, you are not.  Just go to settings and allow install from unknown sources and you can download and install any apk you want.  There is also the amazon app store which has a free app daily.

Oh and we have had zero problems with our Droids, except that now that it is so old, the battery is getting worse and the screen is not always responding as fast.  Neither of us have ever had any problems with upgrades which are done regularly and haven't messed us up at all.  And we are at least two full versions behind the new ones.

New batteries are cheap to replace on Amazon and the Battery Doctor app helps keep them in good condition. ;)

How did you get rid of the bloatware?

Without rooting there's no way to delete the Samsung and most carrier installed apps, but from Jellybean up, you can disable most of them in via Application Manager. This keeps them out-of memory and stops the I'm from updating. And I use Nova Launcher instead of TouchWiz.

You can find lists of which apps are safe to disable in various android forums. I don't want a Samsung account or s-anything really.

You may already know this, but you can export your entire iTunes music library (including any CDs you've ripped) to Google Play Music free of charge up to 20,000 tracks. :) And any CDs you rip in future.

No, I didn't know. I was going to do it through Amazon, but the limit is much lower. Thank you.

DH was hesitant to switch to Android only because of the money we put into apps that we'd end up buying again. However, the kids have outgrown many of those and we don't use some others, so that may become less of an issue.

One of the reasons I got an iPhone in the first place was becase we had an iPod Touch and I didn't want to have to replace apps. There are so many now that ds has outgrown or that I never use. Most of my favorite apps are free too. I might spend a few dollars replacing some, but it will be a negligible amount.

I'm still trying to find one to replace Home Routines though. There's an app called FlyHelper that might do it.

No, I didn't know. I was going to do it through Amazon, but the limit is much lower. Thank you.

Many keep their libraries in all three services. I hadn't purchased much music from Amazon, but it can be exported to Google Play Music as well, and vice versa, and both back to iTunes (I don't do that part... Never again iTunes). Both Google and Amazon allow true streaming without extra fees, so you don't have to keep a good chunk of your library on your device.

I think I would just opt for the S4 and a rugged case.

The screen size alone would stop me from getting the Rugby, but the screen size is one of the main reasons I am looking at switching. Stupid screen on the iphone 4 is good for very little, old eyes and all.

Dawn

If I went and did it over its probably go that route. But I know what you mean about screen size. My Rugby is a little smaller then the S4 but I still look at the small iPhone screens and wonder how people tolerate them.

If I went and did it over its probably go that route. But I know what you mean about screen size. My Rugby is a little smaller then the S4 but I still look at the small iPhone screens and wonder how people tolerate them.

Hehe. Until recently I insisted I didn't want a giant phone. I'm pretty sure I put it in writing in a thread somewhere on WTM. :) I still don't want a giant phone, but I do like the idea of a bigger screen. I often put my phone in my pocket.  I went to a few stores yesterday, talked to sales people, and let them know that one of my requirements is that my phone fits in my pocket. The guy at the AT&T store let me put his Galaxy S3 in my pocket. It doesn't fit as well as my iPhone - it sticks out a bit - but it fits well enough. I wouldn't want something as large as the Note.

I bought the Droid Razr Maxx HD in March. The reason I picked this one was long battery life. For the most part I am happy. I have an otterbox case for it which does make it bigger and the screen can be harder to read in bright sunlight but I carry my phone in my pocket horseback riding and in the barn so I wanted rugged cover for it.

I though basically check email, facebook, the local news and weather and then play solitaire and Soduko on it. I have no music, no paid apps, I don't know how to make a list on the thing or listen to music, etc.

Everyone else though in my extended family have iphones.