Menu

PE inside - ideas please!

Hello!  This is my first post, but I have been reading your *collective* wisdom for some time now.  Thank you, one and all.  I am a better teacher, mother, and human being for the things I have learned on this forum.

Anyway, my question:

We recently moved from Texas (read: 8 months of summer, and 2 each of spring and autumn) to a place known for having very harsh winters.  I am looking for ideas for physical activity for my 4 young (very active!!) boys that we can reasonably do inside, not having a whole lot of house space to work with.  Also, exercise/ yoga/ etc. DVDs that your young ones could follow and enjoyed would be helpful.

I do plan on getting outside as much as possible, but know that sometimes, it just won't happen, and I want to be prepared!

Ages are 1-6. 

Thank you, kind ladies!!

My boys just made an "obstacle course" in the living room where they were jumping over laundry baskets and doing both pushups and jumping jacks. You could also put on music and dance around the house or randomly do calisthenics (jump, jumping jacks, burpees, pushups, etc).

I have a kid who is absolutely miserable if he's out on high pollen count days, despite maximum allergy meds. So we do what you're going to have to do. How much space do you have? It is harder with limited space. But think of things like using rolled up socks for snowball fights, putting on music and dancing, beating "times" running/crawling/wiggling like a snake/hopping/jumping from spot to spot on a course etc. from one side of the room to the other, nerf sword fights, etc. We actually have enough space to do things like indoor hockey on a very small scale (ie one person trying to get the ball to a goal point while the other is defender type thing), a basketball hoop over the door, a hop ball--great activity if you have the space, etc. You want it to be fun! I have a child who does a lot of jumping from piece of furniture to furniture. We're ok with active here.

We have Wii Fit and a mini trampoline.  The trampoline we have is the Jump Sport, which is a knockoff of a really nice (expensive) German one.  It lets you jump a lot higher and feel more bounce.

In general though, I find we just have to get to somewhere where the kids can run around.  So I would look for open gyms times, mini-basketball or sports classes for your oldest, indoor pools, and other such things.

We live in Texas where it is too hot to do much outside much of the time...or too humid, to mosquito-y, you get the idea.

I am also in a wheelchair, so we need easy access for my little ball of energy.

We turned our 2-car garage into a climbing wall (really cave, since it is three walls and the roof). We added monkey bars, a trampoline, a balance beam, ball pit, swing, trapeze, mini basketball hoop, foam ramps and pads ala gymnastics, rings, and have just ordered a bar.

On the inside of the automatic garage door we have a long ballet-style bar and long mirror.

Huge fans keep the air circulating, and the kid (and parents!) can play for hours!

Of course, our van is always filthy and covered in leaves, but who cares?!

We live in Texas where it is too hot to do much outside much of the time...or too humid, to mosquito-y, you get the idea.

I am also in a wheelchair, so we need easy access for my little ball of energy.

We turned our 2-car garage into a climbing wall (really cave, since it is three walls and the roof). We added monkey bars, a trampoline, a balance beam, ball pit, swing, trapeze, mini basketball hoop, foam ramps and pads ala gymnastics, rings, and have just ordered a bar.

On the inside of the automatic garage door we have a long ballet-style bar and long mirror.

Huge fans keep the air circulating, and the kid (and parents!) can play for hours!

Of course, our van is always filthy and covered in leaves, but who cares?!

Cool! Have you got any pictures to share?

Cool! Have you got any pictures to share?

Ooh! I do and I don't...I am away from home for the weekend, but do have some of the earlier photos on my phone and IPad, when it was about half done!

I have no idea if it will work to attach them, but here goes. These are taken before the rest of the roof was completed, and things like the ball pit, more gymnastics equipment, etc were brought in and I installed...but you can get the idea.

It is actually quite simple to do, and one could build it in such a way as to still get the car in if so inclined! We just had too many things we wanted to include. As it is, dh has just put up a small Zipline and Slackline setup in the yard adjacent:)

When I get home I can take some more recent photos that include most of our newer additions and ideas...it is a never-ending project as new ideas hit!

post-72404-0-73097200-1379128130_thumb.jpg

post-72404-0-12536100-1379128146_thumb.jpg

post-72404-0-88996700-1379128372_thumb.jpg

Ooh! I do and I don't...I am away from home for the weekend, but do have some of the earlier photos on my phone and IPad, when it was about half done!

I have no idea if it will work to attach them, but here goes. These are taken before the rest of the roof was completed, and things like the ball pit, more gymnastics equipment, etc were brought in and I installed...but you can get the idea.

It is actually quite simple to do, and one could build it in such a way as to still get the car in if so inclined! We just had too many things we wanted to include. As it is, dh has just put up a small Zipline and Slackline setup in the yard adjacent:)

When I get home I can take some more recent photos that include most of our newer additions and ideas...it is a never-ending project as new ideas hit!

Wow!  So cool!

WTM Party at Kerileanne99's house!  Who's coming?

:party:

:D

Wow. That is incredibly cool!

:drool5:

Amazing!! Do post some updated pics when you get the time :)

another idea is bocce ball. Make sure to get the sand/bean bag version and not the hard version. this can be played indoors and is fun, if you move furniture and anything that will knock over out of the way.

My kids also LOVE LOVE LOVE doing the Insanity videos. They also practice their cartwheels, round offs, hand and head stands, etc. in the living room. I just make sure everything is moved out of the way.

They also do push up and sit up challenges to see who can do the most in a set amount of time. They like to dance to music.

My boys just made an "obstacle course" in the living room where they were jumping over laundry baskets and doing both pushups and jumping jacks. You could also put on music and dance around the house or randomly do calisthenics (jump, jumping jacks, burpees, pushups, etc).

This was going to be my exact suggestion :)

My kids LOVE competition!  We do push up relays in the living room, plank contests, "15 / 15/ 15 warm ups" about every 2nd or 3rd subject ---  15 jumping jacks, 15 push ups, 15 sit ups, among other things.

We also do Tae Kwon Do as a family several nights a week.  So we practice our forms and the kids LOOOOOVVVVVVEEEEEEE to "mock" spar in the house  :boxing_smiley:

All sorts of things to do!  One recommendation --- rather than having one set PE time each time, split it up!  Especially for kiddos your age.  It helps keep the blood flowing and keeps them from getting bored with school.  (And helps keep mom's nerves in check :))

Happy Homeschooling! 

When it's hot we keep PE indoors.  Ballet barre, exercises, yoga, stretching, dancing.   Obstacles courses as well.  We use balloons a ton. Some blindfolded crawling on your tummy games to see how many balloons you can capture and put in a basket.  Crab walk races.  We use playing cards for exercises: designate red hearts as lunges and do the number on the card drawn.   After reading the responses, I added a mini-trampoline to my amazon wish list!