Menu

Our library announced they have bed bugs

prairiewindmomma

AMDG

I don't really know anything about bed bugs but our library closed once for the same reason.  It was closed for three days for treatment and when it reopened, almost all of the furniture had been replaced.  Fabric covered chairs were replaced with plastic ones. 

That library has since closed for a three-year renovation.  The very small library space that opened for the mean time is all plastic and vinyl (and metal with lots of tech and hardly any books).

Oh, that is so much worse than lice.  

I only know that they are very difficult to get rid of.  Don't believe the stuff advertised as "Bed Bug killer" , nothing but heat will kill those suckers (plus a now banned pesticide). 

Do invest in bed bug covers for your matteress.  The  good ones are pricey, but worth it.  

If you do get books from the library, leave them in a hot car for a day (this won't work once it get's cold out. :( )  

The other issue to have to worry about is your clothes.  You could change as soon as you get home and wash you clothes right away, but how annoying. 

So, I googled bed bug + public library and I wish I hadn't. Apparently many public libraries have had this issue. I started googling the names of specific libraries I know of near us and many of their names popped up as having dealt with infestations. Those articles brought up links to reports of bed bugs in movie theaters, restaurants, and hotels.

I am ready for my bleach shower.

I am officially done with public libraries, thrift stores, and movie theaters.

Oh, that is so much worse than lice.  

I only know that they are very difficult to get rid of.  Don't believe the stuff advertised as "Bed Bug killer" , nothing but heat will kill those suckers (plus a now banned pesticide). 

Do invest in bed bug covers for your matteress.  The  good ones are pricey, but worth it.  

If you do get books from the library, leave them in a hot car for a day (this won't work once it get's cold out. :( )  

The other issue to have to worry about is your clothes.  You could change as soon as you get home and wash you clothes right away, but how annoying.

Oh, no, I'd burn the clothes after each library visit. In an area far from the house!

Thanks to the OP for the reminder that LIBRARIES and borrowed books can be a source of bedbugs.

We've sworn off garage sales, Craigslist, etc.