Menu

Memory foam mattress

Moxie

After 14 years on a $400 mattress, I'm done!! Done, done, done!

I've been looking at www.sleeplikethedead.com and I think we're going to get a memory foam mattress but I have some questions.

The Aerus from Sam's got good reviews but I have nothing to put it on. I assume it needs some kind of frame and box spring? I didn't find that on the Sam's site. I'd use our current box spring and frame but they are full size and Mama's getting a king size bed!!

What about www.bedinabox.com ? Does anyone have one? They also got good reviews.

If you like your memory foam (or if you don't) what brand is it??

for a foam mattress (I have latex)  - the only reason for a foundation is to have something to put it on.  you can use plywood for all the difference it will make.  I did get this from ikea. the support/give in the slats is adjustable.

I had a memory foam pillow from bbb - and it outgassed so much I could never use it.  it stank for months.  iow: quality and where you buy it matters.

also keep in mind - memory foam will act as an insulator - so you will sleep warmer.  nice in the winter.

I have a myers mattress that is half memory foam and half sprung. It's a pretty thick mattress and we've had it about 8 years. I also have a friend who had a full memory foam mattress and there is a noticeable difference. Memory foam is soft, you kind of sink into it and it's rather lovely. My 1/2 sprung one is slightly firmer, you don't sink quite so far and it's got a bit more resistance, it's absolutely lovely.

We've had our memory foam mattress for 5ish years.  I will never buy another one.  We spent too much money on it and it needs to be replaced already.  I didn't expect at 5yo to have major memory loss.  And, it's soooooo hot in the summer.  Not ok for a lady having hot flashes. ;)

We have a foam topper on our bed (it's attached to the mattress).  I would never buy another one.  By the middle of the night you have a concave where your body is, and it's like climbing out of a hole to get out.   Engaging in tEa feels more like a wrestling match with the bed.

I have a friend who has injured her back and had a memory foam (which she said she paid $4K for - so its definitely one of the good ones.) and she can't use it because she is STUCK in bed when she lays down.  The bed is not firm enough for her to roll onto her side, then use her arms to slowly get up.   My dh couldn't sleep in our bed when he injured his back after a car accident.  Those two experiences alone had decided for me that the next bed will be a traditional mattress.  Thanks for the link to sleeplikethedead... great looking site for real reviews.

we got a fairly cheap one, that had 4-6 inches of memory foam on top of ???, and it was lovely for everyone except me.  with my arthritis, we have added a 4 inch memory foam on top, and it makes all the difference.  i am never "stuck" in bed.... but now i might want to be ;)

hth,

ann

i always preferred extremely firm beds.  We bought our cheap cheap memory foam on sale from amazon, iir, 8 years ago?  Its not very thick, we roll towards each other a bit, its hot - but i sleep really well.  I hate springs and my back hurts less with this mattress.  we really need a new one though . . someday . . . 

we bought a fairly cheap (around$100 at Walmart ) 4" memory foam topper for the mattress we already had. Its wonderful.

We bought a 3" memory foam topper from Kohls thinking we would still need a new bed. We don't! Our plan in the future is to buy an inexpensive mattress and a nice separate topper. Love it!

We've had our memory foam mattress for 5ish years.  I will never buy another one.  We spent too much money on it and it needs to be replaced already.  I didn't expect at 5yo to have major memory loss.  And, it's soooooo hot in the summer.  Not ok for a lady having hot flashes. ;)

I had the same experience.  LOVED the cushy comfortable feel - for the first 3 years or so.  Then it developed a dent right where we slept.  And yes, it was hot - but I wasn't quite into menopause yet. 

When I had to roll uphill to the side to get out, I decided to replace it.   Now I have a standard coil bed but it's so hard that sometimes I get out and sleep in the recliner!

Argh. I'm looking for that perfect mattress again.  My husband can sleep on anything. 

I wonder wether everyone's foam is the same. Ours is about 8 or 9 years old and there is no hint of a dent where we lay and we don't roll to the middle. One of the things I love is that you can't feel the movement of other people in the bed.

What brand is yours?

We bought one when we did 2.5 years in India. I bought it at Costco before we left. We couldn't take our king mattress and this was prepacked into a small (for a mattress!) box. It wasn't one of their expensive ones. It was maybe in the $400-$500 range. I don't think it was a "gel" one that I see on their site now. We used it for 2.5 years and I really liked it. We never had a problem with a dent forming or sinking in. Maybe ours was a firmer type of foam? It was very comfortable and I like how you can't feel other people moving around so much. Maybe if we had used it longer, we would have had problems, but so far so good. We just came back to the US this summer. If anyone is in the Chicago area and wants a queen memory foam mattress, you can have it since we now have our king size bed back!