Menu

Dishwasher recommendations?

Grantmom

I am finally giving in and getting a dishwasher.  Our house is 100 years old, so we will have to have the hook-up and everything installed.  Any recommendations?  

I am excited and hoping this frees up lots of time for me to clean and organize the rest of my house because I won't be doing dishes all day!  

:party:

I have a mid-range Whirlpool with which I've been very happy. It's about nine years old now and it is still doing a great job. We had one in San Jose, too, which was about seven or eight years old at the time that we moved.

I only use Amway dishwasher detergent. It works with hard and soft water, and it's very economical.

bosch.

I bought a kitchen aid because the bosch I wanted was a few hundred more.  I wish I'd dug a little deeper into my pockets.   It's very quiet though . . . . (and very slow)  I miss the rack flexibility of my old ge profile dishwasher.  (and it cleaned better.)

Love, love, love my KitchenAid. Not sure of the model but was about $700. Stainless steel interior (not the technical term, I'm sure) and the material on the rack is heavy duty (as opposed to our old, cheap one that the tips broke off numerous times). Also like that the top rack moves up and down, do use that on occasion.

We had one previously, and moved it from house to house. Decided to leave it at the last house we sold as we were moving out of state.

I do make sure to lock function, as it's very sensitive to anyone brushing up against it.

Thanks for the party icon!  That is about how I feel!

So, that does make me think, I do want something that will be sturdy and will last.  Quiet would also be nice since we have a pretty small house and I'd like to not have to worry about running it any time.  What about eco-friendly?  Like one that has less plastic, energy conserving, etc?

Thanks all!

Ooh! I know this one!

I just got the Consumer Reports Appliance Buying Guide--we're deep into trying to figure out which refrigerator at the moment, but hoping a dishwasher may be in the cards for us next year. You want (or rather I want) the Bosch Ascenta SHX3AR7 for list price of $700. It's number 3 on their recommend list, but numbers 1 and 2 are Kenmores that cost $1350 and $1200 respectively. It's the one their expert recommends in a little sidebar too.

Choosing a refrigerator has been a bit harder...

Ooh! I know this one!

I just got the Consumer Reports Appliance Buying Guide--we're deep into trying to figure out which refrigerator at the moment, but hoping a dishwasher may be in the cards for us next year. You want (or rather I want) the Bosch Ascenta SHX3AR7 for list price of $700. It's number 3 on their recommend list, but numbers 1 and 2 are Kenmores that cost $1350 and $1200 respectively. It's the one their expert recommends in a little sidebar too.

We found the #2 Kenmore (elite) on a wonderful sale not long ago....around $750 - 800, if I remember correctly.

I'm really enjoying it.

First of all it's QUIET. We can turn it on and still watch a movie or TV or have a conversation. Love that.

The top rack is on ball bearings--it just feels good to roll it in or out. (I know. It's the little things.)

Delayed start-handy if you want to load it after supper by not run it until every one is in bed. I use this feature a lot.

Has a top wash option.

Stainless interior...that actually took some getting used to...

All in all I'm very happy with it.

Have fun choosing yours!

Ooh! I know this one!

Thank you SO much!  Can you tell me which Kenmores are #1 and 2, just to know?  The Bosch is sounding like a good choice, just want to shop around for sales, etc.

Thanks all!!!  

I'm thinking there may still be some Labor Day sales if I can get out to stores before the end of the week.  Someone told me once that places like Lowe's and Home Depot have different "versions" of appliances and things like that that are lesser quality, because they are made specifically for that store.  Is that true?  Is it okay to buy my dishwasher at Lowe's?

The number one dishwasher (score of 85 by CR) is the Kenmore Elite 12793, $1350. Number two with a score of 82 is the Kenmore Elite 12783, $1200. The number 3 Bosch Ascenta scored an 81. Looks like it might be a little noisier than the top two, but I note that its cycle time is 95 minutes vs 145 and 135 for the top 2.

Home Depot's Labor Day sale goes through the 11th I believe for their extra discount--we're trying to make our fridge decision by this Saturday as several are on sale through the 8th. But Home Depot doesn't have Kenmore and not sure if they have Bosch. Looking at Sears' website it looks like their Labor Day sale may go through this next weekend also and it looks like they have Bosch. And Kenmore of course.

Guest Carriestarling
Best Dishwashers Reviews- Dishwashers Buying Guide
Before buying dishwashers, have a look at this comparison of 10 best dishwashers, carefully compare them, read reviews and customer feedback before you buy.
read more review  best dishwasher.

I have to say that when I compared the amount of interior space between the Bosch and the Whirlpool, it looked to me as if the Whirlpool was roomier, which means I can get more dishes in there. :-) I guess the Bosch has less room because it has more insulation or something. I also love the fact that my Whirlpool has the utensil rack on the door instead of taking up space on the lower rack.

For our beach house I am looking into the Fischer paykel drawers. I have a friend who thinks they are the bees knees.

People say that, but I'm not convinced, lol. I guess I'd have to load one up with the dishes I took out of my Whirlpool to compare how much it can hold, KWIM?

Children!

Regards,

Kareni

Actually, this is horrible advice! Dh thought it would be a bonding experience for the kids to do the dishes when our dishwasher broke 8 years ago. Quite frankly, it has brought us to the brink of divorce on a few occasions and is the biggest bone of contention in this house! I even threw out an entire set of dishes and silver wear about a year ago in a huff over the freaking mess in the kitchen.

No dishwasher absolutely s*cks!!! And, funny, because we are having a battle about it right this very minute.

DO NOT DEPEND ON YOUR KIDS TO WASH DISHES!!!! ESPECIALLY. NOT IN A HOUSE OF 9 people.

• 3 weeks later...

Ooh! I know this one!

Did you get it?

Still trying to find someone to do the install for us.  We are starting from scratch so we need someone to cut out the cabinets, etc.