Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - Week Thirty-Four

Robin M

What I really need is to return a bunch of these library books and read down my bedside pile. I have no more room there and I can't make myself decide what to read to make room! Maybe I just need to re-shelve everything and start over.

Top Ten *

Best of the Year **

63. Love in a Cold Climate by Nancy Mitford~fiction, English lords and ladies, love affairs. (Finally Finished challenge)

62. The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford~fiction, English lords and ladies, '30s, hidden autobiography. (Finally Finished challenge)

61. The Postal Confessions by Max Garland~poetry, small towns 

60. Archipelago: a Novel by Monique Roffey~fiction, sailing, the Carribean, grief (Fiction Genre challenge: New books shelf)

59. Travels with My Aunt by Graham Greene~fiction, '60s, travel, eccentric people

55. Pastwatch: the Redemption of Christopher Columbus by Orson Scott Card~time travel, history correction, New World. 

54. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by JK Rowling~youth fiction, fantasy, wizards. 

53. The Adderall Diaries: a Memoir by Stephen Elliot~memoir, murder, dysfunction. 

50. The House by the Sea by May Sarton~journal, old age.  (Dewey Decimal challenge: 800s)

47. Kabul Beauty School by Deborah Rodriquez~memoir, Afganistan, women. 

39. The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King (Fiction Genre challenge: Mystery)

38  The Kitchen Counter Cooking School by Kathleen Flinn~non-fiction, cooking, teaching, how people eat.

37. The Painted Girls by Cathy Marie Buchanan~fiction, France, ballet, Degas.*

35. The Endless Steppe: Growing Up in Siberia by Esther Hautzig~non-fiction, WWII, Siberia. * 

34. Old Man's War by John Scalzi~science fiction, war, future. 

32. Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger~youth fiction, steampunk, school for female assassins.

28. Benediction by Kent Haruf~small town, characterization, cancer. *

21. Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz~supernatural thriller, ghosts *

20. The Story of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang~science fiction, short stories (Fiction genre challenge: short stories) **

19. Down the Garden Path by Beverley Nichols~memoir, gardening, humor (Dewey Decimal Challenge, 600s)

17. Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout~fiction, short stories, aging. 

14. The Queen's Gambit by Walter Tevis~fiction, coming of age, chess **

11. Little Heathens: Hard Times and High Spirits on an Iowa Farm During the Depression by Mildred Armstrong Kalish~autobiography, Depression, family (Dewey Decimal Challenge, 900s) *

9. The Light Between Oceans by ML Stedman~fiction, family drama, Australia, miscarriage. (Continental Challenge: Australia) *

7. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson~satire, American dream, drug trip. (Dewey Decimal Challenge, 000s)

6. Soulless by Gail Carriger~steampunk, vampires, werewolves, Victoriana. (Fiction genre challenge: Fantasy)

5. Away by Jane Urquhart~Ireland, Canada, emigration, magical realism, family saga. (Continental Challenge: North America/Canada) 

4. Elizabeth and Her German Garden by Elizabeth von Arnim~autobiography, Germany pre-WWI, gardening, women's roles

I returned a bunch of library books today (unread), winnowing my pile down a lot. Sometimes that helps me a lot when I start feeling overwhelmed by my reading piles. Btw, I love your short notes/descriptions of your books in your list. Great idea & super-helpful too. (Have to laugh at #7 too -- 'drug trip' -- seems like an understatement somehow, lol).

I finished The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket by Edgar Allan Poe! It was a unique mix of seafaring adventures & misadventures (many to the point of horror), travel narrative/diary with the sort of flora/fauna/navigational notations that were popular on exploration trips of the day, fantastical locations/peoples/creatures, allegory, allusions, & a very strange, abrupt ending, all built on Poe's special scaffolding of creeping dread. Though I've read conflicting reviews on this book (& I agree that parts of it are uneven), there is no doubt that it has certainly inspired & influenced many famous literary works (ranging from Moby Dick to Life of Pi); I think this book should be categorized as a 'lost' American classic, one that needs a bigger audience than it seemingly has. A riveting, hard-to-categorize book. 4 stars.

(Even though I had extremely mixed feelings about Life of Pi, I loved that the tiger was named Richard Parker. How can you not love a tiger with a name like that? Turns out, Yann Martel named the tiger after one of Poe's characters. Also, for the Borges fans here, apparently Borges touted The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym... as "Poe's greatest work".)

In addition to Jules Verne writing a book that continues the story (Le Sphinx de Glaces, free ebook in link), H.P. Lovecraft also crafted a sequel (At the Mountains of Madness) to Poe's book. The copy of Poe's book that I had (the Penguin Classics edition) had a very abridged version of Verne's story in the back. (That's what it seemed to be....) So, I think I've got the gist of Verne's continuation of the story, even though I still plan to read the full-length version. And, of course, all this was started by my wanting to read the contemporary satire Pym by Mat Johnson. Not sure about tackling Lovecraft's book (maybe too much horror for me), but I might consider it for October.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to do that! I'm finding myself picking up books all over the house. Odd books of any subject are jumping the line and I don't even know why. Reading manic-depression? What is this?? There needs to be a word for this. Is there a word for a person who always needs a word for something? I need that too. 

Yeah, 'drug trip' is an understatement.  :001_rolleyes:  Maybe chemically-induced absurdist satire?

I returned a bunch of library books today (unread), winnowing my pile down a lot. Sometimes that helps me a lot when I start feeling overwhelmed by my reading piles. Btw, I love your short notes/descriptions of your books in your list. Great idea & super-helpful too. (Have to laugh at #7 too -- 'drug trip' -- seems like an understatement somehow, lol).

I hate the thought of returning unread what I have waited so long for! Then there is the issue of what if they discard it before I manage to get it back! I have my piles....my big problem is dh. We are in the process of moving we think. House buying in England is ridiculous -- you can back out up until contracts are signed, either party. We have been doing this since June and are hoping to move in to a vacant house end of September. Anyway DH keeps hinting no piles at new house please....trying to read before crazy sets in and returning seems like a good plan.

I have alse been looking at Vernes Antarctica Mystery. It certainly looks to be the most appealing imo. My big fear has been that Pym should be read first. No real problem with that (especially after your reviews) other than time and the pile.

Did I mention 6 new holds were picked up yesterday. We returned 7 so progress.

I finished The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket by Edgar Allan Poe! It was a unique mix of seafaring adventures & misadventures (many to the point of horror), travel narrative/diary with the sort of flora/fauna/navigational notations that were popular on exploration trips of the day, fantastical locations/peoples/creatures, allegory, allusions, & a very strange, abrupt ending, all built on Poe's special scaffolding of creeping dread. Though I've read conflicting reviews on this book (& I agree that parts of it are uneven), there is no doubt that it has certainly inspired & influenced many famous literary works (ranging from Moby Dick to Life of Pi); I think this book should be categorized as a 'lost' American classic, one that needs a bigger audience than it seemingly has. A riveting, hard-to-categorize book. 4 stars.

(Even though I had extremely mixed feelings about Life of Pi, I loved that the tiger was named Richard Parker. How can you not love a tiger with a name like that? Turns out, Yann Martel named the tiger after one of Poe's characters. Also, for the Borges fans here, apparently Borges touted The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym... as "Poe's greatest work".)

In addition to Jules Verne writing a book that continues the story (Le Sphinx de Glaces, free ebook in link), H.P. Lovecraft also crafted a sequel (At the Mountains of Madness) to Poe's book. The copy of Poe's book that I had (the Penguin Classics edition) had a very abridged version of Verne's story in the back. (That's what it seemed to be....) So, I think I've got the gist of Verne's continuation of the story, even though I still plan to read the full-length version. And, of course, all this was started by my wanting to read the contemporary satire Pym by Mat Johnson. Not sure about tackling Lovecraft's book (maybe too much horror for me), but I might consider it for October.

I have noticed some odd unintentional connections in my reading lately. Almost all new (not part of a series/author that I always read) are set in the UK. I normally don't know until I start reading. Even my paranormal type books seem to be moving to England!

WWI seems to be in the background of a large number of my books....Maisie Dobbs, Daisy Dalrymble, Mary Russell and Sherlock(currently reading) to name the latest. The result of enjoying Downton Abbey? If given a historical setting choice I would normally pick Tudors. I spent months reading Tudor settings a couple of years ago. Not one recently!

The thing I find the oddest is when I read a stack of suspense novels where the basic crime is the same. Depressing at times. Or my null/soulless paranormals. Never even heard of the concept then reading two in a row by accident!

Not the deepest analysis but thats what came to mind as unusual in my current choices.

On a different topic... when I've looked at everyone's list of where they stand w/ reading & challenges, I started thinking about my reading this year. It seems like I've had more 'connections'/common threads between books (sometimes intentionally, sometimes unintentionally) this year than in the past few years.

So, for example...

• Women (mostly strong, independent) > Women of the Klondike; The Dud Avocado; Daughters of Copper Woman; The Djinn in the Nightingale's Eye; The Fan-Maker's Inquisition; 1Q84

• Noir > The Maltese Falcon; Hammett Unwritten; The Manual of Detection

• Fanmaking > The Stockholm Octavo; The Fan-Maker's Inquisition

• Argentina > Hopscotch; The Tenth Circle; A Funny Dirty Little War; Winter Quarters; All Men are Liars; Borges and the Eternal Orangutangs

• Paris/Artists > The Dud Avocado; Hopscotch; Sacre Blue; Phoebe and the Ghost of Chagall

• Polygamous marriage in Africa > Xala; So Long a Letter

• Variations/Spin-offs/Inspirations from one book to another >

The Maltese Falcon -- Hammett Unwritten

The Kreutzer Sonata -- Second Person Singular

The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket -- An Antarctic Mystery (if/when I read it) -- Pym (if/when I read it)

Has anyone else noticed connections in their reading this year?

P.S. VC, I did end up liking Poe's Pym more than Treasure Island and A High Wind in Jamaica.

Being very fond of both those books, and trusting your tastes, I now have no choice but to go check Pym out from the library.

(But not this afternoon, because it's my birthday and I'm being taken out to the girls' favorite eatery. :) )

Being very fond of both those books, and trusting your tastes, I now have no choice but to go check Pym out from the library.

(But not this afternoon, because it's my birthday and I'm being taken out to the girls' favorite eatery. :) )

Happy Birthday, VC!!

I finished The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket by Edgar Allan Poe! It was a unique mix of seafaring adventures & misadventures (many to the point of horror), travel narrative/diary with the sort of flora/fauna/navigational notations that were popular on exploration trips of the day, fantastical locations/peoples/creatures, allegory, allusions, & a very strange, abrupt ending, all built on Poe's special scaffolding of creeping dread.  

[snip snip snip]  

H.P. Lovecraft also crafted a sequel (At the Mountains of Madness) to Poe's book.....Not sure about tackling Lovecraft's book (maybe too much horror for me), but I might consider it for October.

I've read At The Mountains of Madness (as well as Moby Dick and Life of Pi)  so am definitely putting Poe's "Pym narrative" at the top of my to be read pile!   My son and I took turns reading Mountains of Madness out loud by candlelight one night during a power outage.   

I don't think you need to be worried about Lovecraft being too much horror as he is an author who also builds a "scaffolding of creeping dread".  He brilliantly crafts a very stylized atmosphere, using that exploration narrative to slowly but surely reveal the dread felt by the explorers through the horror of the final reveal.  But the horror is never a graphically violent action scene, nor is it the kind of horror that keeps you up at night because it is more mythical, fantastical.

Speaking of connections....my ds and Jane in NC's ds, Lovecraft fans both, are meeting up at the airport tonight in order to share a cab back to campus.  (May the travel gods smile upon them and their travel connections from opposite sides of the world.)  

Speaking of connections....my ds and Jane in NC's ds, Lovecraft fans both, are meeting up at the airport tonight in order to share a cab back to campus.  (May the travel gods smile upon them and their travel connections from opposite sides of the world.)  

Keeping fingers crossed that The Boy makes it through Immigration, Customs and a TSA check to get on his connecting flight.  The good news is that there are several later flights should he have a problem with the scheduled connection.

I'd love to be able to listen in on the cab conversation!  Our guys certainly had exciting summers.

Keeping fingers crossed that The Boy makes it through Immigration, Customs and a TSA check to get on his connecting flight.  The good news is that there are several later flights should he have a problem with the scheduled connection.

I'd love to be able to listen in on the cab conversation!  Our guys certainly had exciting summers.

At least mine isn't traveling with rock samples in his luggage this time.  He got pulled aside by TSA 2 or 3 times over the summer so they could check what was in his carry on.  The hazards of being a geologist, I guess!

At least mine isn't traveling with rock samples in his luggage this time.  He got pulled aside by TSA 2 or 3 times over the summer so they could check what was in his carry on.  The hazards of being a geologist, I guess!

My guy travels with trowels although I think he left his hard hat in Britain.  Immigration will spray something on his boots because he spent the summer in a farmer's field, home of the archaeological site where he worked. 

I need to do that! I'm finding myself picking up books all over the house. Odd books of any subject are jumping the line and I don't even know why. Reading manic-depression? What is this?? There needs to be a word for this. Is there a word for a person who always needs a word for something? I need that too. 

Yeah, 'drug trip' is an understatement.  :001_rolleyes:  Maybe chemically-induced absurdist satire?

:smilielol5:  (in re: to the whole post!)

I hate the thought of returning unread what I have waited so long for! Then there is the issue of what if they discard it before I manage to get it back!

I think about that too (esp. in this day & age). Still, I just add the books back to my list of books I want to read, take the books back, & hope for the best....

I have noticed some odd unintentional connections in my reading lately. Almost all new (not part of a series/author that I always read) are set in the UK. I normally don't know until I start reading. Even my paranormal type books seem to be moving to England!

WWI seems to be in the background of a large number of my books....

Sounds like England is a cool location right now!

I have already started thinking ahead to my 2014 goals and challenges, too. (Robin, if you've already got some ideas for next year's BaW, it would be cool to get some teasers.)  I think I might be a Type A personality :blush:

:lol:  At this point, I feel like I'm barely managing my current goals, much less even *thinking* about next year's goals. :tongue_smilie:

I hope you like it!

I started reading Pym (this morning at a lovely outdoor table having coffee) & was rofl at Mat Johnson's summary of Poe's version of Pym. (Meaning, I suppose, that one doesn't need to actually read Poe's version before reading this satire.) As with all well-done satire, what Johnson writes is completely spot-on & hysterically funny as he points out all the flaws in Poe's book. So far, I'm really enjoying Pym & am glad I read Poe's version too.

In Pym (by Mat Johnson), I really loved this sentence in the preface (giving me hope that this will be a great satire)...

In this age when reality is built on big lies, what better place for truth than fiction?

I've read At The Mountains of Madness (as well as Moby Dick and Life of Pi)  so am definitely putting Poe's "Pym narrative" at the top of my to be read pile!   My son and I took turns reading Mountains of Madness out loud by candlelight one night during a power outage.   

I don't think you need to be worried about Lovecraft being too much horror as he is an author who also builds a "scaffolding of creeping dread".  He brilliantly crafts a very stylized atmosphere, using that exploration narrative to slowly but surely reveal the dread felt by the explorers through the horror of the final reveal.  But the horror is never a graphically violent action scene, nor is it the kind of horror that keeps you up at night because it is more mythical, fantastical.

Thanks for the comments about Lovecraft. I think I will try his book. So, between the Poe, Verne, Lovecraft, & Johnson variants of Pym's story, I will have a few books to add to my 'Antarctica' list. (Just putting this out there for those still working on the continental challenge.) I plan to read some other Antarctic books too, but these are a fun 'combo' set, imo.

How cool that your ds & Jane's ds are going to meet! :thumbup1:

I have this nagging urge to read all of Shakespeare's history plays. I blame Paisley Hedgehog. ;) If I do this, I might just wait and make it a 2014 challenge. I'll just have to see how strong this urge is, and whether or not I want to wait.

Recently started:

I'd Like to Apologize to Every Teacher I Ever Had, Tony Danza - He spent a year teaching 10th grade English. I give him credit for trying and think his heart was in the right place. However, as a former high school teacher, I'm spending a lot of time cringing as I read about some of his teaching flops. Not all his mistakes are common to first year teachers. I think some are just his personality and the fact that he's an entertainer. It's also fun to read about the successes. Every teacher loves it when something works.

Madame Bovary - because I've never read it.

God is Not Great, Christopher Hitchens. I know he isn't everyone's cuppa, but I've wanted to read this for quite a few years.

Just finished:

Still Life: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel - A decent cozy mystery that's been on my Kindle for a while.

I'd Like to Apologize to Every Teacher I Ever Had, Tony Danza - He spent a year teaching 10th grade English. I give him credit for trying and think his heart was in the right place. However, as a former high school teacher, I'm spending a lot of time cringing as I read about some of his teaching flops. Not all his mistakes are common to first year teachers. I think some are just his personality and the fact that he's an entertainer. It's also fun to read about the successes. Every teacher loves it when something works.

I'm curious to know, floridamom, if you have any favorite memoirs/books by teachers.  My daughter just started teaching (albeit kindergarteners in South Korea rather than high schoolers).

Regards,

Kareni

I'm curious to know, floridamom, if you have any favorite memoirs/books by teachers.  My daughter just started teaching (albeit kindergarteners in South Korea rather than high schoolers).

Regards,

Kareni

Not floridamom, but do you know if your daughter has read Teach Like Your Hair is on Fire?  I bought this for my nephew who is an elementary school teacher.

Regards,

Kareni

No sorry, I've never read any. She won't want to (and probably shouldn't) watch my favorite teaching movie, Teachers, with NIck Nolte. :)

It's a comedy-drama that got some of the insider stuff exactly right, but has some pretty jaded teachers and administrators. Of course, the movie is from the 1980's which is when I taught high school, so it might not have stood the test of time. I remember a scene with a copy machine that was the old style ditto machine, aka purple poison.

Awesome, look forward to reading Pym.  Thanks for finding Lovecraft's sequel to Poe's book. Downloaded it to my nook.  The Anniversary of Lovecraft's birthday was August 20th and I found a site that has the complete works online.

Not floridamom, but do you know if your daughter has read Teach Like Your Hair is on Fire?  I bought this for my nephew who is an elementary school teacher.

Hmm, I don't think that she has.  I did though and enjoyed it.  (Hmm, the holidays are coming ....)

No sorry, I've never read any. She won't want to (and probably shouldn't) watch my favorite teaching movie, Teachers, with NIck Nolte. :)

It's a comedy-drama that got some of the insider stuff exactly right, but has some pretty jaded teachers and administrators. Of course, the movie is from the 1980's which is when I taught high school, so it might not have stood the test of time. I remember a scene with a copy machine that was the old style ditto machine, aka purple poison.

Oh, I well remember those old purple dittoes from my own school days.  I'm not familiar with the movie Teachers, but I'll be on the lookout for it now.

Regards,

Kareni

I have already started thinking ahead to my 2014 goals and challenges, too. (Robin, if you've already got some ideas for next year's BaW, it would be cool to get some teasers.)  I think I might be a Type A personality :blush:

:blink:

:willy_nilly:

:laugh:

I really haven't thought that far ahead but if you have some ideas, please share.

Edited to say: Off the top of my head, borges and shakespeare readalongs come to mind due to recent discussions.

Happy Birthday!

Did you know you share it with Borges? http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Luis_Borges

I have only ever peripherally heard of him, then discussion this week here. As a family we're reading The Christian Almanac most nights and there he was! Ah, serendipity ... :)

Hope it was a great day!

Ok, so I'm pretty sure that Pym is the only book I've read where there is reference to "super ice honkies".

:smilielol5:

(Yes, it's a satire of not only Poe's book, but also race relations in the US, esp. in light of Poe's portrayal of race in his book.)

I'm pretty sure that's what H.P. Lovecraft is writing about in his continuation of Poe's book too... ;)

http://www.rantingdragon.com/top-20-steampunk-books-an-introduction-to-the-genre/

I am trying to wrap my mind around what the term "steampunk" really means in terms of a catagory. I found this list and thought others would enjoy.....

This means the "Angelmaker" is steampunk apparently...so confused. The setting is current London the mechanical things WWII not Victorian.