Menu

Fine motor skills issues and wanting to do some needlework

OrganicAnn

My DD age 9 has some fine motorskills issues.   She really wants to knit or crochet, but she just doesn't have the skills yet.   I think I learned these at about 10 or 11, so I think she is still a little young.  I know some kids that can learn these earlier.

But my question is:   Is there some other method that she can make things with yarn that involve less fine motor skills?  

We've have a loom and it won't work for what she wants to do.   Finger knitting won't work either. 

Try felting! My daughter has lots of planning/ coordination issues, and felting has become her favorite craft. She uses sheets of felt and will "sew" pieces together with her felting needles to make purses etc. and she is learning to create stuffed animals. It doesn't require any mine motor skills, yet gives them a fun tactile creative outlet. Another bonus is that it is fairly inexpensive to get started in.

I am having my art history class try it this season. The links for materials are all on my site if you are curious. http://sketchartprogram.blogspot.com/p/supply-list.html

ETA: oops, I missed the yarn portion of your post. I don't know of any yarn projects that are especially easy for kids with coordination issues. Sorry.

Guest inoubliable

PHN

DS5 wanted to learn how to embroider with his brothers. We bought some shelf liner from a dollar store, the stuff with the little holes in it and it's slightly stretchy. We got a big plastic needle from Hobby Lobby and some pretty yarn. He's drawn some patterns on the shelf liner and uses his yarn to "embroider". Maybe something like this would work?

My DD age 9 has some fine motorskills issues. She really wants to knit or crochet, but she just doesn't have the skills yet. I think I learned these at about 10 or 11, so I think she is still a little young. I know some kids that can learn these earlier.

But my question is: Is there some other method that she can make things with yarn that involve less fine motor skills?

We've have a loom and it won't work for what she wants to do. Finger knitting won't work either.

Spool knitting!

So much fun watching the yarn tube grow and grow!

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.    Tatting is out.   We are a family of tatters and she is not ready for that.    I think spool knitting produces a cord instead of a flat piece. 

I do think the plastic sheet things may work for some projects. 

We also do simple sewing projects with felt.    She's made about 10 small pillows sewn out of felt for her "friends" (stuffed animals).  

Her creative juices are flowing, but her skills are not up to her imagination yet.    I do what I can to help her.   If I let her, she would commander every waking hour of my time to work on her ideas. 

Thanks again for the ideas.  

Felting isn't the same as sewing with felt. Instead of using thread to attach pieces together, you use a barbed needle to felt the pieces together. You can start with just roving and freeform your creations, or you can use felt sheets and felt them together. The advantage is that there is no knot tying, needle threading, or untangling to deal with. I'll try to find you some instructions. Hang on...

Meh, of course I couldn't find a great tutorial right now. You can start here, but what I was looking for was projects that start with just felt sheets rather than roving. The kids cut out shapes and layer them. They then stab away with the felting needles to attach the pieces together. I'll let you know if I can find a better set of instructions. http://ancienthearth2.blogspot.com/2010/03/needle-felting-fun-for-kids-nature.html

One option for blankets was sewing pot holders together. We went through bags of loops. :)

Since it sounds like she wants to dress her "friends" this book worked wonders for dd

http://books.google.co.uk/books/about/The_Mary_Frances_Knitting_Crocheting_Boo.html?id=SjTWM6czkpAC&redir_esc=y

She made several outfits for dolls and bears out of it before we left the US so she must have been about 9. Knitting and crocheting had not gone well before this book for us but I hadn't tried for awhile. She might have just been ready. I have seen it used on amazon etc. Appears to be free on internet somehow also.

Happy crafting!

What about those plastic circle knitting things for making hats and scarves? In fact, when I was a kid I remember having one of these that was a machine with a crank handle. The thing actually worked, but I'm not sure they still make them.

They sell them at craft stores. Giant spool knitters basically. I have seen patterns for them too. Hats worked well.

dh's aunt had something wrong with her hand as a child.  she crocheted to exercise it.

I would suggest projects that use a larger hook or needles so they are easier to manipulate.  (they go faster too.)

there are also needlepoint plastic canvas kits/projects.