Menu

Evan Moor History Pockets

I had planned to use these this year. I wanted to love them, I really did. I do not mind the content and the idea is fun.

I will not be using them. Our history went from being 45 minutes to taking 4 hours. DS didn't like them and was upset because he learned so little. I do not blame him a bit.

It's definitely something you have to make sure really suits your child.  I'm using it with my ds, who loves to color and is usually very excited to do it.  I haven't even bothered to offer it to my dd.  Coloring, cutting and pasting is soooo not her thing.

DD12 -the-crafty-one loved them.  We spread the activities over several weeks.

I hated them.  HATED.  I hate crafty busy-work.  But they made DD happy, so we did them.   I suspect if I had tried them with her older brother it would have caused open rebellion.

Some kids are craft-happy.  Some are not.  Lose what you don't like, pre-cut what you want to use.

DS didn't make the pockets and I heavily modified everything. DS's complaint was that he spent so much time one one thing and he could learned so much more without doing the busy work. He also said the he would rather spend the time doing a more meaingful project. Instead of 4 hours for one Native American pocket he would rather spend the time making moccasins that he can wear.

Every once in awhile I think I should just suck it up and get one of those. I'm not the sort to pull crafts out of the top of my head, and my younger ones enjoy crafty stuff. Then I pick one up at Half Price Books to thumb through out of guilt, and thankfully put it right back on the shelf. That's just not us. We'll stick to the projects in our VP history TM and call it good. :)

It's definitely something you have to make sure really suits your child. I'm using it with my ds, who loves to color and is usually very excited to do it. I haven't even bothered to offer it to my dd. Coloring, cutting and pasting is soooo not her thing.

:iagree: I have one who loves coloring/cutting/pasting and begs to do them. I also have one that. pocket would be the equivalent of shoving bamboo under the nails. They can be a fun optional activity but they definitely aren't for every kid.

DS didn't make the pockets and I heavily modified everything. DS's complaint was that he spent so much time one one thing and he could learned so much more without doing the busy work. He also said the he would rather spend the time doing a more meaingful project. Instead of 4 hours for one Native American pocket he would rather spend the time making moccasins that he can wear.

Our experience was similar.  I think these can be good for kids who like coloring and pasting, but for those of us with "maker" kids ... a more substantial project is more appealing.