Menu

Ok, tell me the truth - is a finger tattoo a dumb idea?

PeacefulChaos

Because non-tattooed elderly bodies are so glorious??

I'm not commenting on the tattoo issue, but I will say that I think your comment is pretty insulting to elderly people.

Many elderly people are in great shape and their bodies look better than people half their age.

• Like 1

I'm not commenting on the tattoo issue, but I will say that I think your comment is pretty insulting to elderly people.

Many elderly people are in great shape and their bodies look better than people half their age.

Omg, I just rolled my eyes so hard I hurt my head.

You really should put me on ignore.

Edited by Moxie
  • Like 1

You thought Moxie's was insulting, but not Minniewannabe's? Hmmm, interesting.

Omg, I just rolled my eyes so hard I hurt my head.

You really should put me on ignore.

You really think all elderly naked bodies are ugly?

(Serious question -- not being snarky.)

Edited to add -- What age do you consider to be "elderly?"

Again, I am honestly curious about this.

Edited by Catwoman

You thought Moxie's was insulting, but not Minniewannabe's? Hmmm, interesting.

I may have misunderstood her post, but I thought she was saying old tattoos looked unattractive on elderly people, not that the bodies of the elderly people were ugly. I know a few elderly men who got tattoos when they were young and the quality of those tattoos have definitely deteriorated to a point where I don't think anyone would say they looked good.

If she meant that the bodies were ugly, I definitely think it was an offensive comment, and I'm glad you pointed that out.

In about ten or twenty years, I might just have a tattoo artist connect all my veins into a world map or something. I've already got the decent makings of an Amazon River running from my left butt cheek straight to my knee. At least then it would be a picture. :D

• Like 6

In about ten or twenty years, I might just have a tattoo artist connect all my veins into a world map or something. I've already got the decent makings of an Amazon River running from my left butt cheek straight to my knee. At least then it would be a picture. :D

If it comes out looking nice, sign me up for one, too. :)

• Like 2

I have 2 tattoos and have immediate plans for at least 2 more. I don't imagine I'll care much what people think of my naked body when I'm elderly (heck, I don't really care what people think of it now).

Yes. I enjoy my tattoos and what they mean to me. I hope that when I am elderly, whenever that is, that my caregivers aren't secretly judging what they look like. To me they are symbolic of a life well-lived.

I have plans for another also. :) It'll be a reminder of challenges I've overcome, just as my other two have marked significant transitions in my life. Maybe I'll be sure to let me caregivers know the significance so that they understand it's about more than a pretty decoration. If I care what they think.

• Like 1

Yes. I enjoy my tattoos and what they mean to me. I hope that when I am elderly, whenever that is, that my caregivers aren't secretly judging what they look like. To me they are symbolic of a life well-lived.

I have plans for another also. :) It'll be a reminder of challenges I've overcome, just as my other two have marked significant transitions in my life. Maybe I'll be sure to let me caregivers know the significance so that they understand it's about more than a pretty decoration. If I care what they think.

I hope you live to be 110 and never need caregivers at all. :) Might as well hope for the best, right? ;)

I have spoken with people about their tattoos and I love hearing the stories. I don't have any tattoos because I'm one of those people who likes stuff for a while and then gets sick of it, so I don't think anything permanent would be a good choice for me.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not stopping every stranger on the street that I see with a tattoo and asking nosy questions, but if I'm sitting next to someone in a waiting room or something like that and I see that they have a really cool tattoo, I will definitely compliment them on it, and sometimes they tell me the story behind it.

• Like 1

It has nothing to do with the elderly body. You guys are making assumptions that are not there. It has everything to do with elderly tattoos. They do not age well.

Thank you for clarifying. :)

I hope you don't think I was making an assumption. I posted that I thought you were posting about the tattoos and not the bodies.

Edited to add -- I'm not a tattoo expert by any means, but I think newer tattoos are supposed to age much better than older ones did. Hopefully someone knows for sure.

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 1

Thank you for clarifying. :)

I hope you don't think I was making an assumption. I posted that I thought you were posting about the tattoos and not the bodies.

Edited to add -- I'm not a tattoo expert by any means, but I think newer tattoos are supposed to age much better than older ones did. Hopefully someone knows for sure.

If it was just the tattoo color, then, yes, I think there are inks which hold the vividness of the color better. However, the aged skin, as you probably know, gets much thinner because of subcutaneous tissue loss. Even within a few centimeters some areas droop and fall asymmetrically. Then there are the crevices, seborrheic keratosis, cherry angiomas, telangectasias, lentigo, hyperpigmentation from edema, and various skin cancers which further mishape and degrade the tattoo. Many look like dirty globs with only a hint of the original picture.

If it was just the tattoo color, then, yes, I think there are inks which hold the vividness of the color better. However, the aged skin, as you probably know, gets much thinner because of subcutaneous tissue loss. Even within a few centimeters some areas droop and fall asymmetrically. Then there are the crevices, seborrheic keratosis, cherry angiomas, telangectasias, lentigo, hyperpigmentation from edema, and various skin cancers which further mishape and degrade the tattoo. Many look like dirty globs with only a hint of the original picture.

Oh my goodness.

What will people who have much of their bodies covered with tattoos look like? 

I'm in the camp of unable to decide on a picture to hang in a house...I wouldn't be able to decide on something permanent on my body.

• Like 1