Menu

Library Book Storage

kagmypts

Where do you store your library books?   I have been looking for a basket to keep in our home school room, but I cannot find any basket that is the right size.  The basket is either too small to hold or all of our books, or it is so big that it consumes all of our floor space.  If you have a basket, where did you buy it?   I just need a few baskets, and we are ready to start our school year!

ETA- Does anybody have this basket from The Container Store?  If so, is it sturdy?  I could always buy two if I needed that much space to store library books.

RtnBinLgGry10057479_s.jpg 
http://www.containerstore.com/shop/storage/binsBaskets/viewAll?productId=10032375&N=81212

We use a rectangular wicker basket as well.  Right now it's sitting on top of the girls' table in our living room, but we're soon to get two small expedit storage cubes in the living room and will probably devote two cubes to library books.

I like the laundry basket idea. We normally have 50-100 checked out as well.  I can put them on a bookshelf but they tend to forget the books when they are on there. Most of the time they are just piled on the floor in the school room. My girls call it "Book Mountain". :D

I have a couple wicker baskets that were supposed to be used on a changing table shelf. Some books have to be turned differently, but most fit fine.

For my regular books, I use the black Sterilite baskets from Target, size medium. They're in the home organization section sometimes, and sometimes they're with the dish pans.

Dish pans would also work. :D

We use a Sterilite file crate from Walmart. You can usually get them pretty cheap at Walmart right now; with all the school stuff. It's definitely mounded, but for the most part, they fit.

I have a tall narrow "bookcase" in this weird spot behind my bedroom door. It's actually a stainless steel rack that is supposed to be used in a bathroom to store towels I think. There is more than enough room on it for all library books no matter how many I have out. It takes up little floor space, and no floor space that is otherwise usable.

Books get transported to the library in my fancy backpack with an internal steel frame and hip belt. I don't have a car. Books are HEAVY. I need a good backpack to handle the weight.

I found the perfect basket at Ikea last month -- it's rectangular, large, tall, and sturdy enough for a couple dozen books or more, but fits perfetly in one corner of the floor in our foyer. It was in the plant area, I think it's meant to be a decorative outside for a plastic planter. It even fits in with our (largely Ikea :blush: ) decor.

Generally under and amongst other books, particularly ex-library books we've bought.

Sometimes under or behind the bed and/or under clothes.

I really would not recommend this.

ETA: This is why we try to avoid libraries, we were spening too much in fines while we were trying to locate the wayward items.

I use a rectangular wicker basket that's about laundry basket size.  But the books end up all over the house anyway.  We have library book drama at least once a week.  But they always turn up.

I seriously about died laughing when I read this.  This WILL.BE.MY.FAMILY. 

Do you remember where you found your basket?  I brought a couple of rectangular baskets home today, and it's definitely what I want/need.  However, the sizes on the ones I brought home are not quite right so I am returning them.

I found the perfect basket at Ikea last month -- it's rectangular, large, tall, and sturdy enough for a couple dozen books or more, but fits perfetly in one corner of the floor in our foyer. It was in the plant area, I think it's meant to be a decorative outside for a plastic planter. It even fits in with our (largely Ikea :blush: ) decor.

Do you remember the name of the basket?  What color was it?  I am looking for black, but I could work with white.  Our room is 98% Ikea as well.  However, I love it!

Thank you to everyone who has made a recommendation!

Do you remember the name of the basket? What color was it? I am looking for black, but I could work with white. Our room is 98% Ikea as well. However, I love it!

No idea of the name, but it is almost the exact dark brown/black of some of the Ikea furniture. It was hanging out in the plant area right at the end of self-serve in our store.

I used to use a laundry basket I got at Walmart. It was the sturdiest I could find. I have a shelf where I keep library books in the house. It is next to the door and in my "landing zone" when I walk into the house. Right now we are only checking out books related to our current studies and audio books. The audio books are kept in a reusable shopping bag in the car.

I seriously about died laughing when I read this.  This WILL.BE.MY.FAMILY. 

Do you remember where you found your basket?  I brought a couple of rectangular baskets home today, and it's definitely what I want/need.  However, the sizes on the ones I brought home are not quite right so I am returning them.

I've no idea - probably have had that basket for 20 years.  I would guess at a Pier One or World Market store.