Menu

favorite educational games?

Rat-a-Tat-Cat and Zeus on the Loose are now pretty easy for my kids but they will be standards forever, I think.

Corners, from Right Start, is also excellent and still gets lots of play here.

You've Been Sentenced is cute for sentences.

Bananagrams is a classic.

Lately, we've been playing Dix It and I like how everyone can play together and it encourages expression and storytelling.  Story Cubes is another that does this.

Iota is a recent favorite here for patterns and quick math.

Mastermind is great for logic.

Story Cubes fans - did you know there's a Story Dice app for iphone?  It was free when I got it, but I don't know if that's changed.  It just rolls 2 dice with pictures on them, and my kids think it's hilarious to work both pictures into a story.  It's nice for the car because there are no actual pieces to lose, and usually they get going on a story and don't bother with the phone anymore.

Story Cubes fans - did you know there's a Story Dice app for iphone? It was free when I got it, but I don't know if that's changed. It just rolls 2 dice with pictures on them, and my kids think it's hilarious to work both pictures into a story. It's nice for the car because there are no actual pieces to lose, and usually they get going on a story and don't bother with the phone anymore.

oh thank you!

Story Cubes fans - did you know there's a Story Dice app for iphone? It was free when I got it, but I don't know if that's changed. It just rolls 2 dice with pictures on them, and my kids think it's hilarious to work both pictures into a story. It's nice for the car because there are no actual pieces to lose, and usually they get going on a story and don't bother with the phone anymore.

Yes, thanks! That is great!

Zeus on the Loose is now in my Amazon shopping cart - I know DD will love it. Thanks for the idea!

A few that we like:

• Make it or Break it
  • Quirkle 
  • Circulo
  • Jenga
  • Jishaku
  • Slamwich
  • We LOVE Spot-it and Set. Both are often in my purse for when we might have to wait around somewhere.
  • Uno - a classic but never gets old (at least for me, I have to beg my kids to play it)

A friend brought over a game, called Morphology, that was super fun. It's kind of like pictionary, only you have a pile of odd little objects that you use to 'build' the word. It does a great job of bringing out players' creativity. I haven't seen it in the stores yet, he bought it at a game and toy convention.

A friend brought over a game, called Morphology, that was super fun. It's kind of like pictionary, only you have a pile of odd little objects that you use to 'build' the word. It does a great job of bringing out players' creativity. I haven't seen it in the stores yet, he bought it at a game and toy convention.

That does sound intriguing.  I'll be on the lookout for it.

One other fun and educational game I had forgotten to add to the list previously is Continuo.

Regards,

Kareni

You can download educational games from Teachers pay Teachers website. I recently made a ton of games for a math camp I did. The kids loved the ones that had the QR reader code thing to scan in to find the right answer. These are purely education games. Reducing fractions, finding root words etc... but it is better than another worksheet.

I love the 10 days games.. and Ticket to Ride games, also card games teach a lot of strategy. We just finished playing  Categories with the famiy this morning. Fun and quick.  

Some favorites around here:

Chess

Checkers

Chinese Checkers

Uno

Qwirkle

Blokus

Rory's Story Cubes

Jenga

Connect Four

Hi-Ho Cherrio

Sorry

Candy Land

Dominos

Battleship

Mancala

Pass the Pigs

Monopoly

Memory

War

Wits and Wagers Family

All of these are educational in some way or another. ;) My kids love board games.

I think most board games have some sort of educational value, if anything they teach critical thinking and strategy skills. 

But, for school time I do have some games I like to bring out. We enjoy the 10 Days .....games that are geography. They really are fun and you do learn qute a bit of geography. We have 10 Days USA, 10 Days South American and 10 Days Asia. My plan is to get all of them.

For language arts games I really like Upwords and Bananagrams. Scrabble is good or Boggle as well. 

Quirkle is an excellent game!  We have Equate but haven't played it yet. It doesn't look all that interesting but I think it's quite educational. It is like scrabble for math. You make equations instead of words. I am just not sure about the "fun" factor. But again, we haven't played it yet.

Several games our family loves:

Bohanza

Settlers of Catan

Carcossonne