Menu

Odd restaurant experience

DawnM

I had to drop my husband and son off at the airport at 4am.  They were going with a group, so one of the other moms and I decided to go to a 24 hour diner for breakfast.

I had my younger two kids with me.

The restaurant was almost empty and we were seated near the back where several servers were working on rolling silverware and talking.

Their conversation was rather loud and heated and ranged from who they had SLEPT WITH (one waitress declared quite loudly that she was NOT a ho because she knew someone who met someone in a grocery store and took him home and had sex with him and she was NOT like that!) to how horrible customers are and how they don't understand all the work they do, etc......

I realize I was half asleep when I was there, but I feel like I need to report this to corporate somehow now that I am home and have processed it at bit.

Dawn

I would. You can call and speak to a manager, too. If it's a franchise, the manager would (should) immediately take action. I used to work in a franchise, and the manager (the store mgr, not a shift mgr) would have jumped to correct the issue, because if word got to the owner (if it was independently owned as opposed to corporately owned) the owner would have been there in a heartbeat all red-faced to the manager demanding action.

Or, at least, that's how it would have been handled 'back in the day'. Nowadays, when fast food/diners can't even hire people who will acknowledge/smile at the customers, there is no telling what would happen to the employees, if anything. It could be that the diner has a hard time keeping a shift filled, and if that's the case, they may not do more than say "keep it down".

However.... I would still contact the store manager, and maybe corprate. Depending on location (i.e. if they have a hard time filling their employee files) they may not do anything, but you will feel better, and they will have on record that someone was unhappy at the unprofessional service. It would be great if your friend would write, too, because the more noise that is made, the more likely something will be done. If you can, say somethingi positive about the place, so as not to come off as disgruntled. If the food was hot & tasty, mention that. If the diner was clean, mention that, etc. You should include the day/time and how many employees (if you remember) were taking part in the conversation, and maybe where they were in the store and where you were (to give an indication of how loud they were).

Even if nothing comes of it, you will feel better at having brought it to the attention of the manager/owner/corporate. I always feel better when I speak up about things.

I would absolutely send a letter to management. I sent a letter to a local restaurant a few months ago regarding our experience at his business while trying to plan my mother's funeral luncheon.  He called to apologize and we spoke for more than 15 minutes regarding how he was going to implement the letter in staff training. 

In my letter, I let the manager know the date and time of day that I was there and a general description of the duties the person was performing. The manager said that by my description he had a very good idea of who I dealt with and described her personality as "bold" and "sometimes crass".  Yes, that's exactly who should be working the front of the restaurant :huh: .

I can't believe people sometimes. What a crummy conversation to listen to while eating.

I overheard the same type of conversation in the grocery store aisle between three guys stocking the beer case.  (It's unusual that there was more than one guy.)  The conversation was about specific women they knew and how far they'd go and how much they would reveal on texts or video, including references to same sex activity, but with lewd vocab sprinkled throughout. 

I walked past them and told them their conversation was inappropriate and unprofessional when they were in a place where they could be overheard by customers, and that I'd be reporting them to the store manager (I know him by last name.) 

I did.   The manager, who has always been very professional in his demeanor, apologized and said he would report it to their employer and to the grocery store corporate offices, as he is required to do.  (I had no idea.) 

ETA:  unfortunately the chip aisle, where I was, is across from the beer cooler case.

I wouldn't. Do it if you want to, it is justified, but do you REALLY want to cost a waitress who already works all night her job? Is it really worth the phone call and reliving the tacky conversation? It wouldn't be to me, there are such bigger things out there and I am sure they didn't mean to offend you. Had you walked over and asked them to keep their fab conversation to themselves they probably would have. Maybe show a little grace?

Note: I really don't care either way, but since I am procrastinating and the question was just out there waiting...

I wouldn't. Do it if you want to, it is justified, but do you REALLY want to cost a waitress who already works all night her job? Is it really worth the phone call and reliving the tacky conversation? It wouldn't be to me, there are such bigger things out there and I am sure they didn't mean to offend you. Had you walked over and asked them to keep their fab conversation to themselves they probably would have. Maybe show a little grace?

Note: I really don't care either way, but since I am procrastinating and the question was just out there waiting...

The thing is it is highly doubtful the waitress will lose her job. But if she cares one bit about improving herself it is info she needs to know.

I wouldn't want to cost a waitress her job.

As a business owner, I find it disturbing that people are concerned about the waitress losing her job, but not about how this sort of conduct affects a business.  We are fortunate that our business is small enough for our family to run.  I would want to know, and try to make things right, before I started losing customers over this kind of talk. There is no place for it in front of customers.  People have long memories.

It is also HIGHLY unlikely the waitress would lose her job, unless she's a repeat offender, and she deserves to lose it.

I own a business. I DON'T have a restaurant that's open all night. I am NO LONGER a waitress working every shift there is. I guess my thoughts are that this REALLY isn't a big deal. Certainly not even worth all this conversation. I think if you want people calling you when they disapprove of a conversation in the restaurant, so be it. Good for you. If you want to be graceful about something that offends you, tell the offensive person. Who knows if this would cost them their job? I don't. You don't. What if it happens? What if the manager is a big, immature jerk who loves to throw power around by hiring and firing? It happens. Do you think her manager is a sweetie grandmother type who is going to use this info as a nice life lesson for someone she adores and hopes will improve themselves from it? Been outside lately? She didn't spit in food, leave it laying outside, she wasn't mean. It is an all night diner. Can you imagine the crapity crap she heard at 2:00? There are such bigger problems.... My apologies to anyone I offended. You all are awesome and I really need to work a little today but being here is so much fun and you all are wonderful.

I would.  I go to a restaurant to eat and enjoy myself with my friends/family/whoever I am with....not to hear employees discussing their private lives and complaining about customers.  I wouldn't be happy that the conversation was potentially heard by my young children, either.  Just because the waitress/employee is tired does not mean they should not have good sense/manners! 

Definitely complain to management. That is entirely unacceptable behavior for a public venue. Hopefully you won't get the response I got from WellsFargo once. I mentioned the language an employee was using when they were off the clock. They told me they couldn't be responsible for the employee then. Well, they'd better understand that he was wearing a WellsFargo uniform shirt so whether or not he was on the clock is irrelevant - it still reflects back to the company.