Menu

You Are There. Free History Audios. Does anyone use these?

Hunter

When I saw them for sale, I thought they just might be available for free, so did a search and found them. Then I did the happy dance, and of course rushed right here to share.

I'm trying to get as much as possible to school onto my android phone and my iPad mini. This was a great find.

That's so nice of you to share, Hunter, thanks! :)

I also wanted to point out that some of the Am History Stories books, more specifically in the Civil War era, made me feel quite queasy. The attitude towards blacks was just.. deplorable. I'm glad I preread that, but I will definitely point it out to ds when he's in junior high/high school.

I did not use any vintage resources for awhile. Racism is bad. But racism is not the only human rights violation, and each time period has their won set of violations.

It was only after I learned WHAT sexism truly is, and just how prevelent it is in thebooks that people use instead of racist books, that I just threw my hands up in the air, and do very little censoring now. I'm plumb tuckered out with it all. I just teach with what is handy and tell my students that humans are the best and the worst, and will always find a way to subjugate and discriminate against someone, and that no one type of violation is worse than others.

Cruelty and snobbishness is just never ending. I'm so tired. I was reading a book about vikings yesterday. A older man that had not been killed in battle yet threw himself off a cliff to make sure he wouldn't have to spend eternity with women and children. What kind of message does that send to kids?

I'm not condoning racism! I just am no longer elevating racism above other human rights violations.

I'm not condoning racism! I just am no longer elevating racism above other human rights violations.

C. S. Lewis said in his introduction to On the Incarnation:

Every age has its own outlook. It is specially good at seeing certain truths and specially liable to make certain mistakes. We all, therefore, need the books that will correct the characteristic mistakes of our own period. And that means the old books. All contemporary writers share to some extent the contemporary outlook–even those, like myself, who seem most opposed to it. Nothing strikes me more when I read the controversies of past ages than the fact that both sides were usually assuming without question a good deal which we should now absolutely deny. They thought that they were as completely opposed as two sides could be, but in fact they were all the time secretly united–united with each other and against earlier and later ages–by a great mass of common assumptions.

I used to not like old books, partly because of issues like racism. But it really is far easier to point out the problems with the thinking in earlier ages than it is to try to pinpoint the problems with the thinking in our own age and explain those.

C. S. Lewis said in his introduction to On the Incarnation:

I used to not like old books, partly because of issues like racism. But it really is far easier to point out the problems with the thinking in earlier ages than it is to try to pinpoint the problems with the thinking in our own age and explain those.

So true!