Menu

DD asked to come home next year (11th grade)

She has been in school since 8th. I seriously don't know if I have the bandwidth to jump into 11th. It would have to involve a lot of outsourcing, for sure. Her reason is that she's been attending a small SMALL Christian school for the last 2 and most of her friends graduated last year. The extra-curiculars are very limited and I think she's just feeling very squeezed.

She is slated to take a very full schedule next year, including AP English, chemistry, Spanish 3, and other classes that I really won't be able to teach. I'm not sure it's a good idea to take her out. She has no homeschooling friends. None. I think she's going to be bored and lonely.

I'm not sure why I'm posting or what I'm asking for here. Has anyone walked this road?

I know I personally would struggle with returning to homeschooling at that point. But that is also because we really felt it would work better in our house if it was all schooling out of the house or all homeschooling for high school. I wasn't comfortable figuring out how to make it work well doing half and half. But that is just me and our household.

I guess I would just say that I see nothing wrong with saying no and just sticking with the school for now if that really is the better option for you/your family. Sounds like she has a lot of opportunities there academically and, for us, it would be hard to replicate them at home without more planning.

Any chance to find some extra curricular activities outside of the school she could get engaged in? The lack of outside-of-school friends would be a challenge for my dd as well, in fact, she pretty much went to school to see friends this past year and that's only the few minutes in the morning and maybe a glance in the halls.

My daughter went to school from 8-10th and came home last year for 11th grade.  She loved school but realized she would learn more at home. She knew she was going to do this by March of her 10th grade year though, so we had lots of time to plan.  She did 2 classes at the community college each semester, French at a co-op and math and chemistry at home with me.  She had one younger homeschooled friend, who was in dance with her.  I'd say she was lonely, but she kind of knew that would happen going into it. 

It also helped that she wasn't my oldest, so I'd done high school before.  She certainly wasn't bored though, because between school, dance and work she was very busy.  I'd say a few community college courses would be a good option if your daughter really wants to come home.  It worked well for us.

If she comes home and you enroll her in Distance Learning courses, that will put the teaching into the hands of others and she will learn a lot. The social issues are for you and her to figure out. Our belief is that DD probably learns twice as much, Distance Learning, than she would if she were in a brick and mortar PS in Texas, using the same textbooks.  GL

I really appreciate all of your responses, truly.  Yes, more and deeper discussions are needed.  Like all decisions, there's a lot of layers to sort through.  My guy says that she needs to persevere at this school.  However, her buy-in is pretty important.  

I appreciate the input, and really just the space to flip out a little.  This place can be such a pressure release valve at times like these.