Menu

What on-line sites do you like for READING the news?

Ali in OR

CNN has been my default source for news for years, but a couple of things are annoying me. First of all, I like to read the news. I do not want to watch video news stories--the flashplayer tends to not work on my computer and I also don't want my kids to come running over to see what I'm watching which they always do as soon as sound comes out of my computer. On CNN it now seems like half of the stories are video stories. Sometimes I want to find out about the topic and end up searching for reports on other sites that will be written reports instead of video. The other very annoying thing over the last few days is that they now have pop up ads coming up over the story I am reading. They stay for 5 to 10 seconds and then disappear. No reasonable human being should put up with such nonsense while reading!

What's a better source for reading news on-line?

The Guardian. It leans left, if that is a concern, but I find that it covers so many areas so well. In addition to reading, I enjoy their books, science, and technology podcasts. It gives you the option of getting the US or the UK edition -- I get one on my tablet and the other on my PC. And I like their crossword puzzles, too.