Menu

Dish to pass wedding etiquette??

MedicMom

We just got an invitation to a coworker's wedding. In two weeks. This has been an on again, off again wedding, and now it is on again and apparently going to happen soon.

In any case, the reception card states, reception features food, beverage and game. Main course: pig roast. Feel free to accompany with a dish or beverage to pass.

Anyone have any idea what this means?? Is there no food other than the pig roast? Are we obligated to bring food?

I have no idea. Neither does the groom...

We just got an invitation to a coworker's wedding. In two weeks. This has been an on again, off again wedding, and now it is on again and apparently going to happen soon.

In any case, the reception card states, reception features food, beverage and game. Main course: pig roast. Feel free to accompany with a dish or beverage to pass.

Anyone have any idea what this means?? Is there no food other than the pig roast? Are we obligated to bring food?

I have no idea. Neither does the groom...

The groom doesn't now??? This scares me just a little.

It's anybody's guess, but mine is that the roast pig, maybe some rolls, and some coleslaw will be provided along with a main cake and some type of barbecue beverage such as lemonade or ice tea. Anything else is all up to the guests.

That's my instinct. It could mean only the pig and nothing else BUT I HOPE NOT because that's rude, and it could be there is going to be a decent spread but they figured, the more the merrier in terms of food offerings.

I've never really done the "potluck reception for non-related guests" kind of thing. We did a potluck type thing for a niece, but it was all of the family members who got together and decided that sine she couldn't afford to have a party, we would host one for her and split the food costs amongst us along with paper goods and some simple decorations. I think there were three cousins, two aunts, one uncle, the bride's parents, and a set of grandparents in total who brought food. We didn't put it on the invite that her friends and co-workers should help....this does make my brain twitch a little bit.

Faith

Is the couple by any chance Hispanic? I have friends from Cuba who do a pig roast for special holidays. It  means that they buy a whole pig, get a big pit dug and roast the things for hours and hours. (There are people who can be hired to dig the pit & do the roasting.) Delicious and festive. The whole association of the pig roast is large group of extended family and multitudes of friends gathered to celebrate a happy occasion.

It sounds like a fun celebration. I would interpret that you bring a side dish with enough for your family and a bunch of other people, but not so much that every single person at the wedding gets a portion. IMO, it's nice to see a wedding that doesn't bankrupt the bride's family. 

With my friends, they say not to bring anything, but everybody brings one or more dishes. It can be very simple. One of my most popular dishes was a giant bowl of fresh strawberries. Personally, I'd make sure that I steered clear of things that might go bad (mayonnaise), as the cooking times can be unpredictable, and timing in general can be relaxed. I've had good luck bringing salads of rice and vegetables or wheat berries, dressed with oil and/or vinegar types of dressings. It helps to have an insulated bag too.

If the party is Hispanic, there may be a lot of last minute guests who just show up (and are truly welcomed). At least that is my experience.

The groom doesn't now??? This scares me just a little.

It's anybody's guess, but mine is that the roast pig, maybe some rolls, and some coleslaw will be provided along with a main cake and some type of barbecue beverage such as lemonade or ice tea. Anything else is all up to the guests.

That's my instinct. It could mean only the pig and nothing else BUT I HOPE NOT because that's rude, and it could be there is going to be a decent spread but they figured, the more the merrier in terms of food offerings.

I've never really done the "potluck reception for non-related guests" kind of thing. We did a potluck type thing for a niece, but it was all of the family members who got together and decided that sine she couldn't afford to have a party, we would host one for her and split the food costs amongst us along with paper goods and some simple decorations. I think there were three cousins, two aunts, one uncle, the bride's parents, and a set of grandparents in total who brought food. We didn't put it on the invite that her friends and co-workers should help....this does make my brain twitch a little bit.

Faith

I'm with you on this........ you never ask guests to bring food but if they are close to you and they offer, it is fine to accept the offer. Especially for a casual, non-catered reception, such as a pig roast. Or do something like your family did, with close family members providing the meal.

I assume they are paying for it themselves, and cost is probably not a huge issue. I know they had wanted an informal wedding, but as of three weeks ago it had been called off again, and now it is on with invitations for two weeks. I am guessing there isn't a caterer who could do it with such short notice.

The groom is having nothing to do with the wedding planning which is why he has no idea. The whole thing is a little flaky, but DH wants to go. I just don't know whether or not I should bring food plus a gift.

I assume they are paying for it themselves, and cost is probably not a huge issue. I know they had wanted an informal wedding, but as of three weeks ago it had been called off again, and now it is on with invitations for two weeks. I am guessing there isn't a caterer who could do it with such short notice.

The groom is having nothing to do with the wedding planning which is why he has no idea. The whole thing is a little flaky, but DH wants to go. I just don't know whether or not I should bring food plus a gift.

In my opinion, you should bring both food and a gift. But neither has to be expensive.

I had a potluck reception actually, but it was a small wedding with only immediate family in attendance and the aunts on both sides made the food. We had a large reception later on.

I actually wouldn't mind bringing a dish to pass but the wording jut strikes me as really vague and confusing.

It sounds like: "Potluck would be great, if you can, because we're serving a pretty basic feast. Don't bring a main course, we've got that covered. Bring something that goes with pork. Oh, and booze. Booze goes with pork, and we are too broke to supply a bar's worth as hosts. Just pretend it's a regular party-type get together."

There's 'enough food' but little variety and probably a punch (some plain, some spiked, but no bar-type drinks). You are not obligated, but your contribution would be welcome.

Weird that the groom doesn't know but I guess I am red neck enough to not be offended at something like that.

Honestly, if it was a local, casual wedding reception I think that going potluck would be a great way to get a variety of foods and save a TON of money. I would likely word it so that the guests brought a dish to pass instead of a gift.

In our world though potlucks are quite common for get togethers (even outside of church). We had a "cookout" for our special needs son's graduation (had already had a graduation party from highschool 5 years earlier) and we just put it out that we had burgers and hotdogs and drinks covered and then asked people to bring a dish to pass. Very informal and we said NO GIFTS.

My friend is having a potluck birthday party for her daughter on Monday. Friend runs a horse boarding stable/gives lessons, etc. so that would be a lot of people to provide all of the food for....instead they just asked us to come and bring a dish to pass instead of a gift. It will be a great time.

I think this is a wedding thrown together by the bride in about three weeks. Seriously we got the invitation yesterday and it is two weeks from Saturday. The pig roast/ potluck idea actually sounds sort of charming, I just wish it was clear what was expected.

I'd bring hawaiian rolls (we love those with pork) or something that can keep in the car. Then, leave them in the car until you know exactly what's going on! That's what I'd do, at least.