Menu

Graphing calculator needed in Algebra II?

My DD has not needed a graphing calculator all the way through single variable calculus. We find it extremely important to teach graphing and quick sketching by hand; the familiarity with functions that is developed by this is invaluable.

I certainly do not see a need for algebra 2; in fact, we do not use a calculuator in math through calculus, unless for standardized testing (and science).

ETA: We use a curriculum that does not rely on calculator use and where the use of even a scientific calculator would, for most problems, defeat the purpose and miss the learning objective. Your specific curriculum may differ.

The graphing calculator may become useful in/after precaluclus if your student wishes to take the SAT subject test in math. There, the graphing calculator is useful for some of the problems. It is, however, not absolutely necessary; there are no problems that can not be solved without one. DD went in with a simple $10 scientific calculator and did very well.

I would definitely teach the graphing calcuator before the student goes off to college.

We do not use them here. I am not certain why the local PS absolutely insists on them. However, I suppose it is a fundamental difference in end goal. Their end goal is to teach extensive calculator usage in order to hopefully improve standardized test scores. We emphasize mastery of concepts and fell the "by hand" approach cements concepts and grows brain cells.

We LOVE graph paper here! LOL

Faith

One of the points in favor of a graphing calculator is that ideally you can use it to investigate a lot of different possibilities and then make conjectures about whether it would happen in all cases....kind of an experimental approach.

I know one of the instructors at our cc uses the calculator in the equivalent of algebra ii to do experiments....collect data and then model it.

That said, unless you have a reason to use it, don't.

I may get one for my son when he's in high school because the buttons are nicer than on his scientific one :)

I have a few, so I can easily give him one....

I've heard from some of my students that they get good deals buying used calculators at the local pawn shops....may be worth checking out. The user manual is typically less than useless anyway.

My son didn't need one through Algebra 1, 2, or 3.  He did get one in 2nd semester of precalculus and said it was helpful.  He then brought it to the ACT, though not sure if he used it, he didn't think he would but I'll have to ask him if he did in the end.

Julie

P.S. We did bring in his older brother's to Target, where they said they'd pay to recycle/trade in your old one.  Older brother is 11 years older.  Target said it had zero value LOL.

If you have a mac, a graphing calculator is included in your operating system.   :)  Just type GRAPHER into your spotlight search.  

Thank you. This is awesome! I had no idea.

I was going to suggest looking at calculator apps if you have a Kindle or Ipad. Might save you some money.

No graphing calculator is needed through algebra II, but after that, it will depend on the textbooks you use or teachers you have. AP Statistics from PA Homeschoolers requires a graphing calculator, Lial's pre-calculus also requires one. 

Lial's precalculus does have some problems that require a graphing calculator, but there are plenty of problems that don't. You can easily get a full coverage of all the topics and problem types in Lial's precalculus without using a graphing calculator.

I bought the 8-hour video course on how to use a TI graphing calculator so my 17yo and I could learn how to use it. Then we found out that the university she is going to does not allow graphing calculators for any level of calculus (the only math course she needs to take), so she stopped. I am still watching the videos to find out how to use it because I am tutoring two students with Lial's precalculus for next year and one will be doing it without a graphing calculator, but the other will be doing it with a graphing calculator.

Whether your student will need a graphing calculator or not depends on the program you are using. Even the programs that have graphing calculator problems, often have those problems as extras rather than as the bulk of the problems for the chapter. Lial's has no more than 10% of the problems in each section set up for graphing calculators (many sections have no graphing calculator problems).  Nobody assigns more than 50% of the problems at the end of each section, so skipping the graphing calculator problems is not difficult.

ETA:

I was curious, so I did search through the course lookup system where my two older girls are going to college.  It looks like graphing calculators aren't allowed for tests or quizzes at ANY level of math.  So be aware that while many community colleges do have math courses that require graphing calculators and the AP exam for calculus is designed with graphing calculators in mind, many universities do not allow them for math classes.  I had seen people post about that before, but hadn't ever actually looked it up for the school my girls are attending.

We've never used them until this week. I finally decided the kids need to learn to use them well this year since they'll have lots of standardized testing this year that'll require their use to do their best. (AP Calc, AP Phys, etc.) DD did her first SAT with just a simple one and did great, but for the APs and for her highest stakes tests (PSAT this fall, next go rounds at SAT, etc), I want her to have every edge, so we just bought them and will learn to use them in the coming months. It's one of our "summer assignments" to get comfy with them.

So, anyway, that means my dd16 went all the way through AoPS PreCalc w/ nothing more than a $15 calculator. However, I know she does some fancy graphing with freeware on her computer, so I bet that serves as a substitute for a graphing calculator. 

I don't think graphing calculators are EVER needed to learn math, but for top performance on standardized tests, you will want to be able to utilize them effectively, which takes practice, and so we are now going to get that. I'd say start using one 6-12 months before one of the high stakes tests that allows them.

I was wondering this, too. I don't see a need for it in Algebra 2, but I wanted her to be familiar if it would be beneficial for testing and such.

What I am wondering is how do they learn to use the calculators?!  :unsure:  The paper that came with one we bought was less than helpful.

What I am wondering is how do they learn to use the calculators?! :unsure: The paper that came with one we bought was less than helpful.

The high school math textbooks have the instructions for using the TI 83 or TI 84 inside boxes on the textbook pages. Some textbooks have the instructions as supplements to the textbook as well.

E.g.

80 page PDF for algebra

http://www.basd.k12.wi.us/faculty/kbrenneman/DAA2_CN84_WholeBook.pdf

36 page PDF for precalculus

http://college.cengage.com/mathematics/larson/precalculus/7e/assets/gtg/ti83.pdf

Which model did you get?

The high school math textbooks have the instructions for using the TI 83 or TI 84 inside boxes on the textbook pages. Some textbooks have the instructions as supplements to the textbook as well.

E.g.

80 page PDF for algebra

http://www.basd.k12.wi.us/faculty/kbrenneman/DAA2_CN84_WholeBook.pdf

36 page PDF for precalculus

http://college.cengage.com/mathematics/larson/precalculus/7e/assets/gtg/ti83.pdf

Which model did you get?

Wow! Those links are excellent.  Thanks for posting them.  Now I'm having the "I'm a bad mom" thoughts. Why did I not know this was out there?  lol :tongue_smilie: I would do searches for user manuals for the calculator and those were what I referred to as less than helpful.

My oldest dd just used a TI-30XS scientific (not graphing) calculator but she didn't use it much - she preferred to just figure it out on graph paper.  Looking back, maybe she didn't use it because the calculator wasn't "good enough" and I don't recall the Saxon books saying which calculator to use in the few lessons that gave calculator instruction. We did end up getting a TI-83 or 84 Plus before she took the ACT a second time but since she hadn't ever really used a calculator, she said she didn't use it much during the test.  Her math score was the same both times she took the ACT.  Luckily, the score she did get wasn't too bad. 

I'm torn, anyways, on the whole calculator issue - my 10th grader thinks she has to use one.  I don't want it to be a crutch, but I want her to know how to use it for the ACT. When I skim through MUS, it doesn't look like they have instruction on the calculator - I might have to look closer.

I'm torn, anyways, on the whole calculator issue - my 10th grader thinks she has to use one.  I don't want it to be a crutch, but I want her to know how to use it for the ACT. When I skim through MUS, it doesn't look like they have instruction on the calculator - I might have to look closer.

There is really nothing on the ACT that would require a *graphing* calculator.

What I am wondering is how do they learn to use the calculators?!  :unsure:  The paper that came with one we bought was less than helpful.

I bought a 250+ page "Dummies" book for the TI84+C LOL. I also found some good video tutorials here:http://www.atomiclearning.com/ti_84c. The site has other sets for all the other variations of TI calculators. The kids and I will be using them and learning as we go. 

TI has a lot of resources for learning how to use their calculators. Google the name of your calculator and scavenger hunt. That will usually give you a good place to start learning the basics. You can also go to the TI Education website. That will give you lots of discovery type activities to do with the calculators, sometimes with programs to download.

Just play around with the calculators. You can't mess them up. You can always return them to factory settings. The one problem I always have a hard time fixing is if the calculator is in the stats plot mode. This isn't a problem in the NSpire line because you have to open a new page, but in the old 84s I sometimes go to graph something and forget that I was doing a histogram earlier. 

We never had one when dd was doing math at home - Saxon through Advanced Math.  DH and I didn't have one so we figured she could do without.  There were some problems in Adv Math (I think) that she could not do b/c it was how to use the graphing calculator.  The downside was she took precalc and calc at the local CC and they expected her to already know how to use one.  She was behind there.

The upside for us is that now that oldest is off to college this fall and thanks to the CC and her preposed major, she has all the math she needs for college!  We have a graphing calculator and middle and youngest will have one when they need it.