Menu

Trying to decide on a writing curriculum for 4th/5th grade...

Aurelia

33 members have voted

1. 1. What writing curriculum?

• CW Aesop B
    • Writing Tales 2
    • Paragraph Town
    • WWS 1, half-speed (or slower)
    • Other, please elaborate

I've been struggling with deciding on a writing curriculum for DD next year. I've looked at several, and can't make up my mind! Right now, my top contenders are Writing Tales 2, CW: Aesop B, Paragraph Town, or WWS1, very slowly.

As background, she has done WWE 1-3 (and I don't want to do WWE4), about half of WWW2, Connect the Thoughts Creative Writing 1, and will have finished Sentence Island before starting this.

Her LA lineup for next year, so far, is Further Up and Further In and Apples & Pears C. I don't want to go totally overboard on LA, but I feel like she really needs to focus on writing to be ready to transition to logic stage work.

What do you suggest?

Well, I would want to know if you have specific program you are planning to use in middle school. For example, if you intend to use WWS1 then I would plan on doing WTM writing across the curricula. Or, if her summary or paragraph skills need work then do a combo of doing summaries across the curricula with Paragraph Town.

Just a thought. :)

Well, I would want to know if you have specific program you are planning to use in middle school. For example, if you intend to use WWS1 then I would plan on doing WTM writing across the curricula. Or, if her summary or paragraph skills need work then do a combo of doing summaries across the curricula with Paragraph Town.

Just a thought. :)

I haven't totally decided on that yet, I'm thinking either WWS or CW. I like the idea of WWS, but I really want her to get a little more practice with fiction writing, too. My original plan was WWS alternated with some kind of creative writing curriculum. She has no problem with the assignments in WWE3, and retells well orally, but can't organize her thoughts on paper to save her life. I am terrible about implementing cross-curricular writing, partly because I don't know where to begin, but especially since I share teaching with my mom because I work full time, so it's difficult to evaluate her needs and skills in the subjects I don't teach.

I voted for CW Aesop, mostly because I really enjoy doing that book with my kids, but it sounds like it would serve your DD well. I'll be using Aesop this fall too.

The only other one on your list I'm familiar with is WWS. Considering your second post, it sounds like this one would be better if saved for a year.

I haven't totally decided on that yet, I'm thinking either WWS or CW. I like the idea of WWS, but I really want her to get a little more practice with fiction writing, too. My original plan was WWS alternated with some kind of creative writing curriculum. She has no problem with the assignments in WWE3, and retells well orally, but can't organize her thoughts on paper to save her life. I am terrible about implementing cross-curricular writing, partly because I don't know where to begin, but especially since I share teaching with my mom because I work full time, so it's difficult to evaluate her needs and skills in the subjects I don't teach.

So then, to be clear, your Mom is in charge of teaching her writing? Does she have any input in the choice?

You mentioned fiction writing and organizing thoughts. I'm wondering if you might want to consider Brave Writer. We are using using a mix of CW and MCT Island right now, which (to me and for us) works well to cover academic and more creative writing approaches. However, since you've kind of done the same with WWE and MCT, I wonder if Brave Writer might cover the areas you feel are lacking.

So then, to be clear, your Mom is in charge of teaching her writing? Does she have any input in the choice?

You mentioned fiction writing and organizing thoughts. I'm wondering if you might want to consider Brave Writer. We are using using a mix of CW and MCT Island right now, which (to me and for us) works well to cover academic and more creative writing approaches. However, since you've kind of done the same with WWE and MCT, I wonder if Brave Writer might cover the areas you feel are lacking.

We've decided to go with WWS during the week, and do the first half of CW over the course of 12 months. So WWS 4-5x per week and CW 1x per week. Excited!

I hope it works out for you, but don't be surprised if this is just too much.

A few of us started our kids in WWS at the end of fourth grade, and found it was challenging for that age even then. Others felt it was even a bit too much for their fifth graders, and was better begun in sixth.

There is no way we could have done WWS and another program at the same time.

I do really like CW Aesop. I used the teacher guide not the workbooks, and had ds do some assignments based on that, plus writing narrations across the curriculum and continuing dictations twice per week, as SWB still recommends for fourth and fifth grades. Even though we had done WWE1-3 and lots of other writing prior to fourth grade, fourth grade was still too early for WWS here. YMMV of course.

After several writing fails we switched to CW Aesop and it fits well. She has scattered thoughts and some writing issues, and as a teacher I find it fairly easy to implement once I got my groove with it. I am combining that with Caesars English 1 and Apples and Pears for our coming grade 4 year. SInce it has integrated grammar I chose to bypass using a separate grammar program until 5th grade in order to lessen our load and help streamline our days.  

I feel like she really needs to focus on writing to be ready to transition to logic stage work.

WWS is logic stage work. I would vote for Writing Tales 2 or CW Aesop for 4th.

I would suggest completing Paragraph Town before starting WWS. We did them at the same time, but for dd7 when the time comes, we will complete PT first. WWS doesn't teach paragraphing explicitly, just a quick explanation of paragraphs and topic sentences in the first week, then they're supposed to have it down. So spending the time to go through PT and really get paragraphing and topic sentences down thoroughly would be really smart.

Then, you can do WWS, but at a slower pace, as you suggest. We started at the end of 4th grade and did 10 weeks, did 11~28ish in 5th, and will do the last 3 sections (research, poetry & final project) in 6th. This pacing has kept it from being overwhelming and offered the chance to apply concepts to writing across the curriculum, and has worked well. With dd7, I will probably have her wait till 5th to start and plan to do it over 2 years (alongside essay voyage, after completing Paragraph Town).

ETA: so I voted Paragraph Town, because I'd do it first and then do WWS half speed or at whatever speed works.

We've registered for the IEW online class that begins in August. We chose IEW because I like that is a structured program focusing on outlining skills, story sequencing, summarizing (goes well with the skills she's learned with WWE). I also like that I can outsource part of her writing curriculum.

Since I had major troubles responding yesterday...

I am the one in charge of teaching writing. My mom teaches history and science, which makes implementing cross-curricular writing difficult.

I've looked into Brave Writer in the past, but never could wrap my head around exactly what it taught and how. I'll look at it again. 

Sure, WWS is fantastic, but it is tedious.  There are possibly other ways to skin a cat.  If it really resonates with you, you could spread it over two or three years, as pp mentioned.  What will you be most confident teaching?  Personally, I think CW is unnecessarily complicated, but Aesop would be easier to use than the higher levels.  You could do that or Writing Tales 2 - I would think these two options would be pretty similar?  We didn't use Paragraph Town here, but I could see where it might be a nice bridge.... or there are lots of other paragraph writing resources.  IEW could also be a good one to use.  I think the key to any of these is your vision for it and what you have confidence in.... confidence to teach, confidence to know what it's doing for you now and where it's leading you next. 

If I were to go with IEW, what would you recommend? I think I understand the program pretty well, and I believe I can borrow the TWSS DVDs if I need to. Would it be fine to use something like FMF or ATFF, or would it be really advantageous to go with SWI-A? (I really like the look of Following Narnia, since DD is doing FUFI next year, but I think it will be too much of a stretch.)

If I were to go with IEW, what would you recommend? I think I understand the program pretty well, and I believe I can borrow the TWSS DVDs if I need to. Would it be fine to use something like FMF or ATFF, or would it be really advantageous to go with SWI-A? (I really like the look of Following Narnia, since DD is doing FUFI next year, but I think it will be too much of a stretch.)

I have only used TWSS and SWI-A so far, but it is my understanding that all SWI/SICC and themed courses go through the TWSS units (though not necessarily all of them, depending on the level/theme). I am big into integrating skill with content, so I will probably just stick with TWSS, applying the units to history, science, etc. If you are one who easily learns and integrates, you could absolutely get away with TWSS alone. As I said, this is my personal preference. If you want someone else to do the teaching, SWI would be the best choice (and my kids do love Mr. Pudewa). If you don't want to integrate writing into your other subjects and don't want/need someone else to the teaching, one of the themes would probably be a good choice.

The only SWI I've had was C.  It is great if you'd rather not teach it.  But if you have access to TWSS, I would lean towards a theme book.  For one, there are so many of them that I'd bet there's one that would reinforce a topic you're already studying.  Then, it's almost like writing across the curriculum without doing all the work, lol.  I think FMF or ATFF would be great.  We did a bit of ATFF in the spring a year or so ago and I have it on hand to use again before my next one is old enough for Essentials (CC).  I will add that I didn't really "get" how IEW builds on itself until we used it last year in Essentials, (that's a reflection on ME, not on IEW, lol), but the TWSS and syllabus were helpful too. 

Are you not interested in The Creative Writer from PHP? I haven't used it and know nothing about it, but, since you used WWE, I wondered why it wasn't on the table.

I really like IEW, but it isn't particularly strong at teaching creative writing.

HTH-

Mandy

Are you not interested in The Creative Writer from PHP? I haven't used it and know nothing about it, but, since you used WWE, I wondered why it wasn't on the table.

I really like IEW, but it isn't particularly strong at teaching creative writing.

HTH-

Mandy

It looked like it was for grades 5+, and DD isn't quite at that level yet. (Of course, she always seems to have a jump in ability as soon as we've worked through too much of the book that was at her level when we started to return it, but I don't want to start out with something too hard because it only frustrates both of us, and she ends up struggling for months.) It also seemed rather similar to CTT, which we've already done and I felt it didn't produce the results I was looking for. I have Writing Magic on my Amazon wish list, but planned to hold off on that and alternate it with WWS once DD gained a little more skill.