Menu

Need Ideas for Kid Friendly Non Dairy Food

My kids eat a wide variety of foods everyday. That isn't an issue. But my kids have had the tradition of having kid friendly dairy rich foods when dh is gone. Dh is allergic to dairy and so those foods (usually lasagna or pizza) have become rare treats. The problem is that now ds16 is allergic to dairy. Dh and I are going out tonight. I can't pick up a lasagna or pizza for the kids anymore. And ds is going to be sad because it is going to high-light the fact that he can't do dairy as a treat. So what do you think I could offer that would still be a treat, would still be easy for them to prepare and doesn't involve dairy? (To complicate matters, dd is allergic to chili peppers.) I can offer them two different things but both need to be eat to prepare.

Are your ds's issues with dairy such that he can't have any food that's been processed near dairy items? I was thinking that instead of pizza you could get stromboli with no cheese. Since it's essentially pizza that's been folded up it might be less obvious that there is no cheese.

DD12 is old enough now that her go-to special meal is beef stir-fry. Before that, she would have choose fish sticks or chicken nuggets with tater tots (all of which come in dairy-free options). Everyone around here also likes Marie Callendar pot pies (don't know if those are dairy-free though).

These are more snacky or desserty, but they are dairy free: Fritos and Bean Dip, Tostitos and Salsa, Chex Mix, Ice Cream made from Coconut Milk (So Delicious brand), Italian Ice popsicles, Fruit sorbets are often dairy free, Bomb Pops, Oreos, Sun Chips, most Potato Chips, Pringles...

For entrees, what about McDonalds Hamburgers and Fries? Taco Bell tacos no cheese and cinnamon twists? Subway sandwiches on white or wheat, no cheese, no mayo. Kentucky Fried Chicken (extra crispy only) with green beans and potato wedges. Whataburger Chicken Strips or Burgers and french fries. Hot dogs. Tyson Chicken Nuggets. Van de Camps fish sticks. Ore Ida curly fries or regular fries. Delimex chicken Taquitos.

(My dd has been allergic to milk, egg, and peanuts for the past decade, so that's where I'm coming from.)

My kids eat a wide variety of foods everyday. That isn't an issue. But my kids have had the tradition of having kid friendly dairy rich foods when dh is gone. Dh is allergic to dairy and so those foods (usually lasagna or pizza) have become rare treats. The problem is that now ds16 is allergic to dairy. Dh and I are going out tonight. I can't pick up a lasagna or pizza for the kids anymore. And ds is going to be sad because it is going to high-light the fact that he can't do dairy as a treat. So what do you think I could offer that would still be a treat, would still be easy for them to prepare and doesn't involve dairy? (To complicate matters, dd is allergic to chili peppers.) I can offer them two different things but both need to be eat to prepare.

Chinese food!

For my dairy allergic daughter (Though she's only two) we've turned to getting Chinese takeout for special occasions instead of pizza, etc.

We also found that Tyson makes chicken nuggets that are dairy free.

And that McDonald's has several choices that are dairy free (and corn dogs at Sonic. Though there isn't one that close there :( ) At least dairy free enough for our situation (no breathing problems, upset stomach/intestinal issues)

We have a lot of food restrictions, and I can't remember if your kiddo is also gluten free? Ian's makes a good French bread pizza (frozen) that is GF/DF. It is DS's favorite treat now that he's allergic to dairy and missing pizza.

Make sure to check with your McDonald's  - my niece is dairy free, and in California, at least, the fries at McDonald's have dairy in them/have been exposed to dairy. In n Out fries are the only safe ones around here. 

Also, if they are fans of Daiya cheese (it's actually pretty good, my niece loves it) - it's dairy free, and they can make their own pizzas (I don't know if this substitute works for you or not). 

Could you prebake some large potatoes and have bowls of topping in the fridge, ready to go? They could nuke the potatoes for a couple of minutes, and then top with chili for your son, or cheese/soy cheese and broccoli,or taco meat and tomatoes/lettuce. Bacon is fun to sprinkle on top.

It's not as special as take-out, but it's fun to do!

We're dairy-free too. My daughter is 5 and was just diagnosed with the allergy/sensitivity, and it's been an issue for me since childhood. My son & hubbie are dairy friendly :-) We're finding that using other things that are flavorful, such as hummus, can make a meal flavorful without the cheese. We're big fans of homemade almost anything, so that helps b/c we find substitutes to make a giant variety of our faves. Rice milk bakes super-well... We prefer it really. And if you miss ice cream & like bananas at all, peel and freeze some ripe (we prefer beginning to brown, but not mushy), then toss 1 in a blender w/ some almond milk or coconut milk (vanilla or chocolate), some peanut butter, & maple syrup for a deeeeeelicious shake.

I knew the coating wasn't gluten free and I had read about riots in India from them finding out there was beef flavoring in the fries.  Not exactly just cut up potatoes, is it?!

I think the picture we have in our minds of food does not equate to modern "food" at all. I think many of us would have an easier time eating and better health if that weren't true.