Menu

Booster seat and different states' laws?

Wildcat

So, what do you do when your state's laws are such that your child doesn't need a booster seat in a vehicle (so you don't have a seat), but you are travelling to a state whose laws state the child should be in one? By travelling to that state, must one comply with those laws?

If so, and you had no one to ask to borrow a seat, are there options other than buying one? The out-of-state visit will be for 2 1/2 to 3 days.

In case it makes a difference in replies, the child in question is on the older side of eight years old, and the other state requires kids to be in boosters until age nine.

Thanks!

I'm an unlucky person, and a firm believer in following rules even if you don't particularly like them or fall on a cusp. Booster seats are not typically expensive, I've seen them for $30-50 which for two days isn't cheap but is cheaper than a ticket and you can sell it to a consignment shop afterward. If you're willing to run the risk that every time you get in your car with your kiddo that you may be pulled over and fined for not complying with the rules, that's your business but I wouldn't recommend it. I can't think of any situation where you're let off the hook by saying "where I'm from, that rule doesn't exist."

The cheapest of the cheap boosters run around $17 in my area. Well worth avoiding the risk of getting ticketed or just the anxiety over the possibility. And if you have room to store it, I am guessing you will either have occasion to use it again when driving someone else's kid or lend/give it to someone in need. I am big on car seat safety so I follow all of the laws and above, but I have to say that NO ONE else I know or see does and I have yet to hear of anyone getting more than a warning when pulled over. I watched what looked like a 4yo bopping around the front passenger seat with no seat belt at all go by my house about 15 minutes ago...... Bigger fish to fry.

By travelling to that state, must one comply with those laws?

Yes.

Could you find one at a consignment/resale store? Craigslist?

Your only other choice is to take the risk of a ticket if you get pulled over. If dc looks old enough, it may not be questioned, you just never know.

Honestly, in that situation I would probably play dumb or say dc was nine if I was pulled over and asked. I've never known a single person to get pulled over or ticketed for not using a booster seat with an older kid, though.

I've never known a single person to get pulled over or ticketed for not using a booster seat with an older kid, though.

When crossing the stateline from California to either Nevada or Arizona on a road trip, the officer did check for car seats. They pass the cars one at a time. Actually the traffic police prefer to ticket out of state cars because people rather pay up than come back to contest the ticket in court.

There are also highway police "in ambush" at both sides of the Oregon/California border with binoculars. We play spot the hiding highway police when on road trips.

http://www.wysbc.org/childSafety.html

Says visitors must comply. I'd buy an Evenflo booster at Target for under $20 and then continue using it if the booster made the seatbelt fit my child correctly regardless of my state's law.

http://thecarseatlady.wordpress.com/boosters/5-step-test/

Or donate it/save it for carpool/pass to a friend after the trip.

I wouldn't lie to a cop about the child's age.

Wow. Thanks so much for all the replies!!

I had no idea if we would be allowed to follow what our state recommends (booster up to age 6!! :thumbdown: Too young!!) or if we had to comply with the state we were travelling to. While it makes perfect sense to be expected to comply with whatever state we were in, it seems odd and harsh for out-of-state travellers to be expected to know each state's laws were different~~~ we once drove through a state that had billboards stating the requirements and were shocked. Dd hadn't been in a seat in years, but because of her weight, she was supposed to be in one in that state... but she didn't fit them anymore because of height & hip width which is why we got rid of it. Crazy.

Anyway, I would rather use a booster seat than to get in trouble (and I wouldn't/couldn't lie to an officer). So the advice and stories of checks at state lines (Egads!!!) have me convinced we need a booster. I had no idea they were so inexpensive (it has been ages since we needed one as my kids are teens!!), so I'll hit the store tomorrow.

Thanks bunches ladies!!! :thumbup1: