Menu

favorite Bible curriculum

socody

What is your favorite Christian Bible curriculum for pre-K/ Kindy? I'm looking for something that will go through the Bible but not just stories-- showing the big picture of where the story fits in; also would love to incorporate good character studies & some Scripture memory if there is such a thing.

:bigear: This is exactly what I'd love in a lower-elem. aged Bible curriculum. I've yet to find one I like, though (and I've tried out BSGFAA). We're using Notgrass's Life of Jesus drawing/Bible study this coming year (K & 2). We're just adding in our own character stuff + Scripture memorization. I'm definitely interested in hearing of an all-in-one program!

What is your favorite Christian Bible curriculum for pre-K/ Kindy? I'm looking for something that will go through the Bible but not just stories-- showing the big picture of where the story fits in; also would love to incorporate good character studies & some Scripture memory if there is such a thing.

SOW Students of the Word curriculum might be WAY more than what you are looking for.

You might like GrapeVine Stick Figuring Through the Bible

If you purchase Bible Study Guide for all Ages teacher manuals, make sure you get the newest version! I have the older version and the visuals are terrible in books 2-4. The newer version actually has the old worksheets as the visuals. I wish I'd known that, before I spent so much time and money trying and failing to track down a complete set of the old worksheets, to use as drawing inspiration. :banghead:

We've been using and loving Picture Smart Bible. We'll go through it now over two years and then do it again when we're older in more depth, perhaps reading the bible cover to cover in the process. It covers all major events in the Bible and relates them to their significance overall. It will easily transform into an in depth study later, when my kids are older.

I posted about it in another thread recently. Here's that post quoted below.

We are really, really enjoying the Picture Smart Bible curriculum right now. It is appropriate for all ages (6 and up). We are not reading the Bible cover to cover, but only major stories and verses because of the age of my students. This is a survey course that helps solidify the theme of each book through pictures and symbols that you draw/trace as you study (no drawing skills necessary - trust me). It could create the framework for your own study. It gives good explanations of events and goes to great lengths to illustrate (literally and figuratively) the theme of each book and demonstrate the reference to Christ found in each book of the Bible. It encourages you to read the books entirely, memorize key verses and complete the picture survey, but you might need a supplement to delve deeper within each book. There is no reason this couldn't be used along side a deeper study curriculum if the offerings here aren't what you're looking for.

I'd suggest that you download a sample lesson to see if it is aiming for what you would like. Students (and teacher) create an illustrated page for each book of the Bible that compile into a nice visual summary of the Book. With my young children, they are getting the grand picture both of each book as well as the over-arching story of the Bible. You can study as deeply or superficially as you'd like. Drawing the pictures makes it stick in my mind.

Attached are two pictures of my 6 year old's work. He drew/traced those pictures and can tell you the major events and the significant verses from that book by examining the elements he drew to represent each one. For instance, regarding the top right corner of the Exodus page, he'd probably say something like: Moses ran to the desert (arrow), married Zipporah (ring with a backwards Z ;) ), Moses is a shepherd for 40 years and learns about the desert so he can lead the people later (staff, "40 years" and "God's School of the Desert"), God speaks to him from the burning bush (Bush, white cloud represents God), Moses argues with God 4 times ("but 4x"), So God sends Aaron with him ("Aaron 4:16")." He's very proud of his work and we store each sheet in a binder with page protectors. We'll do this course again in Middle School and study the Word in more depth.

i-w6HTHcg-XL.jpg

i-3CJbJx9-XL.jpg

I use BSGFAA with my 3yo, soon to be 4. We use the beginner activity pages, the wall timeline, beginner timeline, and maps. He loves it and asks to learn more. He knows Joseph's history along with the names of his brothers. We started Daniel this week and my son talks about it daily. We also listen to the CD, 100 Bible Stories and Songs which result in my son asking when he will learn about Esther, Moses, Nehemiah, etc. I also made booklets using the BSGFAA story pictures that we use for review. It was worth every penny!

The Storybook Bible is great for teaching the unified story of redemption throughout Scripture. I have read the stories to my children, and although I know there is a curriculum available with it, I have not used it. It's especially good for the age you are looking at.

My very favorite materials that go book by book through Scripture have to be the What's In the Bible DVD series by Phil Vischer. I know in the classical community we tend to avoid video as a lesser medium, but this series is amazing. It addresses everything from how the canon was formed to the meaning of redemption to how the Roman Empire prepared the way for the spread of Christianity. It discusses every section of Scripture and every book. When I first saw it, I thought it would be too intense for my kids and that they wouldn't like it (ages 7, 6, 4, and 3, when we first got them). I was wrong. They love it! More importantly, they have learned a lot. The series is not quite finished (DVD #11 about the book of Acts is the most recent one out at this time). They have also published a curriculum to accompany the video series, but I have not used it.

Neither one of those incorporate Scripture memory. I am planning to use AWANA homeschool materials this year. I grew up in AWANA and loved it. It's all about Scripture memory. We haven't been able to find a church nearby that offers it, so I was glad to see that AWANA has made this homeschool kit available.

What is BSGFAA? The Jesus Storybook Bible is awesome. I have used dltk bible (free) and calvarycurriculum.com (free). I was also thinking of purchasing the bible choices from sonlight individually after we finish reading The Jesus Storybook Bible. It sounds like your are looking for what I am looking for when it comes to bible curriculum. Let us know if you find something new that worked for you.Last year I tried Lifepac bible because I wanted something more than just a bible story and it was a huge dissappoinment.

What is BSGFAA? The Jesus Storybook Bible is awesome. I have used dltk bible (free) and calvarycurriculum.com (free). I was also thinking of purchasing the bible choices from sonlight individually after we finish reading The Jesus Storybook Bible. It sounds like your are looking for what I am looking for when it comes to bible curriculum. Let us know if you find something new that worked for you.Last year I tried Lifepac bible because I wanted something more than just a bible story and it was a huge dissappoinment.

BSGFAA= Bible Study Guide for All Ages :)