Menu

I need and to move alpacas...cross country!

Juniper

Can anyone help? Since the Hive is the queen of connections, I was hoping maybe someone knew someone, who knew someone, who could bring them from Northern Az to Michigan for me. Worth a shot right? :D

Do you know any local cattle truckers? Perhaps they could be a resource. I know for cattle, you have can only travel so many hours before they have to come off the trailer & have feed & water & rest for a period of time. I can't remember all the specifics of the rules & regulations. For cattle you need interstate papers to move cattle from point A to point B & you can get those from the local vet where the animals are housed now.

You'll need to contact the Office of the State Veterinarian for each state on your route for the rules. Unfortunately it can get extremely complicated when you transport animals across state lines.

As to who to hire, you might want to contact a few large animal veterinarian offices and see if they have recommendations. I know that the large animal ones in my area deal with this frequently.

Here's a listing of Alpaca Transport Services. Looks like there are several to choose from. Who knew such a thing existed? I didn't, until this thread prompted me to google. :tongue_smilie: One of them is right down the road from us.

http://www.alpacanation.com/alpaca-services/alpaca-services-2.asp?servicetype=5&servicename=Professional%20Transport%20(for%20hire%20only)

Well, I discovered they can ride in my mini-van, so I think I might just do that in a couple months. :) I just didn't want to haul the horse trailer there and back, but the van isn't quite so bad on gas mileage. My husband is not thrilled with the idea of a road trip hauling alpacas! :D