Menu

What Space/Earth science living books can you recommend for elementary age kids?

This is what I remember loving for those topics... as far as books go, I like the Let's Read and Find Out series. They aren't Christian books but I don't remember anything in any of the books we read that I think you would find objectionable. The Seymour Simon books are just beautiful (not Christian so you'd probably want to preread) but we'd use them quite often just to look at the beautiful pictures.

For curriculum - I really like A Child's Geography, volume 1. It's not a geography book, but it's really about earth science and it's by a Christian author.

This is what I remember loving for those topics... as far as books go, I like the Let's Read and Find Out series. They aren't Christian books but I don't remember anything in any of the books we read that I think you would find objectionable. The Seymour Simon books are just beautiful (not Christian so you'd probably want to preread) but we'd use them quite often just to look at the beautiful pictures.

For curriculum - I really like A Child's Geography, volume 1. It's not a geography book, but it's really about earth science and it's by a Christian author.

Hi Tonia,

I hope this isn't "hijacking" the thread. :-) Can you tell me a bit more about A Child's Geography? I am Christian but OLD Earth... will the book work for me? I wish amazon showed a table of contents, but it doesn't. Is it divided into chapters, into lessons... ? Thanks!

I don't know if it's a living book or not, but It Couldn't Just Happen by Lawrence O. Richards is FANTASTIC! I used it this year with our Space/Earth Science class. My dd is 10 and she loved it. It covers many things such as the beginning of the universe, solar system, Earth's crust, plate tectonics, geology, fossils, Pangea, and specifically addresses the critical, scientific issues facing the Theory of Evolution which actually shows evidence against, not for evolution. (Evolution in the sense that all living creatures developed from original one-celled beings, which became more and more complex.)

Hi Tonia,

I hope this isn't "hijacking" the thread. :-) Can you tell me a bit more about A Child's Geography? I am Christian but OLD Earth... will the book work for me? I wish amazon showed a table of contents, but it doesn't. Is it divided into chapters, into lessons... ? Thanks!

Hey Monica, sorry it's taken me a bit of time to get back to you...

From what I recall (it's been about 1 1/2 years since we used it!) I don't think there is any mention of the age of the earth at all. It's divided into chapters - each chapter is on a specific topic, the lower atmoshpere, the upper atmosphere, etc. We took about a week or two to go through each chapter. It would probably take about 1/2 a school year to complete, which worked for us. We did this book for 1/2 a year and then did a space study for the second half of the year. It was a great book - I read aloud to my daughter (2nd grader at the time). I saved the book because I'm considering reusing it again - I think she'd get even more out of it when she's older.

You can see samples at Christanbook.com and read the first three chapters at the publishers website. HTH!

I don't know if it's a living book or not, but It Couldn't Just Happen by Lawrence O. Richards is FANTASTIC! I used it this year with our Space/Earth Science class. My dd is 10 and she loved it. It covers many things such as the beginning of the universe, solar system, Earth's crust, plate tectonics, geology, fossils, Pangea, and specifically addresses the critical, scientific issues facing the Theory of Evolution which actually shows evidence against, not for evolution. (Evolution in the sense that all living creatures developed from original one-celled beings, which became more and more complex.)

Oh, I forgot about that book! I have that on my shelf too and I love it! Great book for middle schoolers.

Seymour Simon? Is this a publisher or ???? Interested in taking a look.

He's an author. My library has a ton of his books, you might want to check yours for them. We love his books. Pictures are amazing.