Menu

White or Grey Ikea EKTORP sofa?!!!

acsnmama

DH and I decided that we will get the EKTORP sectional sofa. I've read online reviews about people loving it, and very few poor reviews. I am very nervous to have a white couch though!

I like the White, and I like the Grey.

Problem:

White couch is prone to getting dirty, and I will not be stripping the couch every other week to wash it and swap out covers.

The grey couch is beautiful, but it's more expensive and the material is dry clean only! But I do believe it'll stay cleaner longer. Can I spot clean a dry clean only couch?? After all, most couches don't have the option to be stripped and washed anyway!

Which would you choose and why??

Gray, for sure. Not just for the reasons you listed, but it's gorgeous!

Plus, it's a fabulous neutral and you can swap out throw pillows to change out the look almost endlesslly, if you're so inclined. It looks rich and regal.

And yes, you can spot clean Dry Clean Only fabric. I do it all the time with my clothes. Dryel works well.

Should I buy a back up cover for the grey? A second grey cover, or maybe a white slipcover?

There's no harm if you want it, but I wouldn't. I suppose if it gets to the point where you need to send the one it comes with to the dry cleaner you could buy one then, but I think that would a rare occasion.

ooh yay! I'm so excited, we're supposed to be closing on our first house on Friday! I'm nervous, but very excited, and I've always been hesitant to get the Ikea sofa's, but after reading the rave reviews, I'm ecstatic about having a sofa with slipcovers, they look nice and have a very homey feel. I didn't want something so elegant but uncomfortable, I also didn't want a "modern" style sofa as they don't have a homey or comfy feel either. I love the slipcover look and I LOVE grey.

We're actually planning on painting the kitchen and kids rooms (boys room and my daughters) a light grey, and then "dressing" the rooms up accordingly. The boys room will have red accents and my daughters will have light pink or coral, and light blue. I don't want to paint a color I'll regret later, and I want to stick with something that won't be too childish a few years from now. However, I want the bathroom to have boards & batten in white and purple above it (DH was hesitant until I showed him a picture of what I want to do, and he liked it! eek!)

Anyways, I'm way off topic, but I'm now finally feeling a little more comfortable about the idea of an Ikea EKTORP!

Only other thing is, we found a sectional we like a rooms to go, but doesn't have a nice matching chair, the chair with it is ugly, and I can't seem to find any other chairs that'll flow with the couch. The couch is CHEAPER than the Ikea version, but I guess I can eat the cost. I get so nervous about having buyers remorse, I tend to be very indecisive!

We got an Ektorp and the cover was white for five minutes. When I washed it, following all the directions, the zippers crumbled and the white stayed not-white. When I asked Ikea for an exchange because of the zipper death, they laughed at me.

Now we have a (discontinued) brown/white pattern on it, and I just spot-clean.

Like I mentioned we have a Ektorp sectional, we also have 2 Kivak (I think that is the name) sofas and everyone mentions how comfy they are (both the sofas and the sectional sofa). I wash the covers all the time due to cats throwing up on them and the covers still look great.

THe sectional is super easy, I mean EASY to put together. THe sections have large hook and eyes that just hook togethere. Now the Kivak sofas were a bear to put together.

If you're looking at the corner sofa, I'd get the Idemo Beige covers. The light brown ones I have seem to be not available in that model, probably been phased out. The Beige ones look good. I would never in 1000 years buy a white sofa, lol. Nor would I buy one that I couldn't throw the covers in the wash. We are very messy people, lol,

The beige wouldn't have been my first choice, but since I got the couch for free...well beggars can't be choosers :D And because it is an older model the new covers don't quite fit. I would have preferred the grey to the couch as well. (I don't have the chair and couch in the same room)

Ugh, I mentioned my indecisiveness...

Now I can't figure out if we should bother with the corner sofa, I'm now thinking just a sofa and chair, or sofa, chair and love seat? I noticed that the grey is not just $100 more expensive, but $200 more expensive!! Or maybe the one with the chaise, and then the chair? Too many choices! Good grief!

I have dark brown and I love it!!

I'm not sure which of your choices is best. Dry cleaning that would be pricey. White is, well, white!

Do you eat on your couch? Do your kids?

I like my dark brown because usually I only eat chocolate on it, and it blends in, haha!

1) Gray. I have cats, a dog and a teenager. There's no way I'd ever have a white sofa!

2) Go to Planyourroom.com and play with room arrangement. Ikea has the dimensions of their furniture on their website, so you can create all the different room scenarios and go with what works best.