Menu

DD had surgery this past Friday. The cyst was the size of a cantelope! Washington D.C. Trip is over.

FaithManor

First, dd had surgery while we were gone. The doc was afraid the cyst would burst and was able to bump her to the top of the list. My friends here at home plus dh's mom mobilized to create an AWESOME team for her while we were out of town. Her new hubby has been a rock and a loving care-giver. I am so glad they made the choice to marry quietly ahead of the surgery. The hospital allowed him to sleep over in her room and she said he never left her side.

Her incision is beautiful...the surgeon must have been very meticulous. The walls of the cyst were paper thin and it burst the instant the surgeon touched it. They had to clean out her pelvic cavity and literally put her internal organs back where they belonged because the thing had pushed her innards out of place. The ovary, miraculously, was healthy and did not need to be removed. There was only a small amount of endometrial lesions that had to be taken out and everything else looked healthy. WHEW!!!! PTL. She is recovering so quickly that I'm just amazed.

The rocket team finished 14th on a day when the weather was VERY bad and there were a historic number of dq's for broken eggs and unsafe recoveries and the scores were high...very, very high...many teams scoring 40-200 which is just huge. Last year nearly all of the top 24 teams scored less than 15 on their first flight with over 14 of them, us included, having scores less than 10 - This year there were only four scores less than 10 in the first flight rounds and none less than 20 in the second for the top 24 teams. We scored a 19.36 on the first flight this year and made it to the second round with a 14th place finish. Our eldest and our team captain were both offered college internships from DoD contractors despite only being high schoolers - due to their presentations. We have the contact info for their internship coordinators to give to their respective colleges once they go through the admission's process and make their decisions plus personal contact information of the executives who made the offers.

Georgetown 4-H from Texas won the competition. There were eight 4-H teams that made it to Finals and four of them were in the top 24 with all of them making a top 20 or better finish. It was an amazing day for 4-H, and I hope it gets the attention of National Council.

At the Congressional Breakfast, three of our team members interacted heavily with representativse from AIA, a NASA engineer, the congresswoman from the U.S. Virgin Islands, and an aide to Senator Debbie Stabenow. I was very pleased with the level of professionalism these teens achieved.

They also had the privilege of spending 20 minutes with Senator Carl Levin of Michigan...they did a presentation for him and he was FANTASTIC in his interactions with the kids. Frankly, I think there is some lingering "science nerd" in him! We have pics of him with the kids...we made him hold their display rocket. His aides took pics as well and are sending them to Washington D.C. news agencies and the Lansing Journal. I hope someone will choose to publish them.

All in all, a very amazing event for our team. We are bone tired, totally exhausted.

Next year's rules - two raw hens' eggs in the payload, 48-50 second flight time, x4 penalty for any second or portion thereof above or below that window, 825 feet, rocket cannot separate into multiple sections, therefore the payload and booster section must be tethered together for recovery, double parachute/parasheet recovery system with both chutes being the exact same size - size to be chosen by the teams - and instead of the top 100 teams being chosen on the basis of their best, single qualification flight score, the combined total of two qualification flights is the goal and any team who sends in a score prior to March 2nd, will receive 1 pt. deduction from their total - a little reward for flying early. We begin our design process the fourth week of July with a goal of test flying a prototype design by Labor Day weekend. So much for having three months off!

That's the scoop. AP's this week...boys are studying today. Wedding in 2.5 weeks, 25th wedding anniversary in less than one month, and dad's lung surgery by the third week of June. 4-H Science Fair the 2nd week of July and we've got an all club rocket launch the fourth week of June too....I'm going to take a nap and then get busy. I'll try to check in over the next few weeks because I miss my WTM time. However, it's probably going to be rather sporadic.

Thanks a bunch for the prayers, well wishes, encouragement, and good thoughts!!!!! They have been deeply appreciated.

Faith

The ovary, miraculously, was healthy and did not need to be removed. There was only a small amount of endometrial lesions that had to be taken out and everything else looked healthy. WHEW!!!! PTL. She is recovering so quickly that I'm just amazed.

Wonderful news! :hurray: