Menu

A "Dear Tibbie" thread--Odd hotel stories? Check in here.

Dear WTM board, this is not my question. I am posting it on behalf of a poster who is well known to all but who wishes to remain anonymous in this conversation. When you respond, please address the anonymous person and not me! She will be reading along, and I will be updating the thread as she requests (and as time permits).

Dear Tibbie,

Husband and I arrived in small resort village around 5:00 p.m. on day 1 for an anniversary getaway. We checked in at motel recommended by a business associate. Upon entering room, I placed my toiletries bag, duffel bag and purse on table. As I was unzipping duffel bag, I felt a touch of unmistakable firm yet gentle pressure on my lower right back in an area about the size of four fingers or hand. Turning around to embrace my partner, I was startled to see no one or nothing behind me. I yelped, “Something touched my back!†My partner was occupied in the restroom (with door open) and responded, “It wasn’t me; I’ve been in here.†Although puzzled, I thought nothing more of it.

On day 3 about 1:30 a.m. my husband was lying on his side in bed while watching television. I was sleeping across from him. He was touched gently on lower right back, but nothing was there when he turned to look. It was not the tug you would feel when readjusting bed coverings or the touch of sinking into a soft mattress.

We brainstormed unsuccessfully on day 3 to try to come up with plausible explanation. We left morning of day 4 without anymore odd events occurring.

We both have lived a few decades without anything unexplainable happening to us, and our brains operate in a logical, analytical, and objective manner. We are neither spiritual nor impressionable and have never experienced hallucinations. I’m stumped. What do you make of it?

I’ll probably forget it about tomorrow when I am back to routine but it’s been weighing on my mind all weekend.

Signed,

Touched Traveler

Please address your responses to Touched Traveler. I hope someone has a plausible explanation to offer (or at least an entertaining one!). Thanks for reading! ~Tibbie

No clue touched traveler but if it was a spiritual presence (rather than a rather large insect or alien trying to force its way into your body), it clearly had no intentions of harming you. Generally when you touch someone in the lower back it is a loving touch with a level of intimacy. I would think either there is a gentle spirit there or a loved on coming across to wish you both a happy anniversary :)

Dear Touched Traveler,

I am a Christian who believes in angels and demons/spirits, not "ghosts." But that sounded like a ghost. :ohmy: I would have brought it up with the owners/manager and asked about it, and if it's something that's been reported before I would make sure their online reviews included that information because people shouldn't be going there unaware. Other than that, I don't know what else you could have done. Happy anniversary!

Update from Touched Traveler:

Swellmomma, if it was a loved one acknowledging my anniversary, loved one has better memory than I do. I forgot that this was our anniversary weekend until he reminded me. My husband planned the getaway in conjunction with a business trip in a nearby city. You stated that no harm was meant. I agree. At no point were we frightened, just curious and perplexed.

Bugs? Definitely not. The accomodations appeared meticulously clean. I have significant allergies to insect bites. If bugs had been the unlikely culprit, I would have noticed by now. Besides, a bug or team of bugs would not be able to exert the amount of pressure I felt.

RebeccaVA, you asked if village had history of ghost sightings? Supposedly a classic old hotel there is haunted. They offer ghost tours to those interested in such things. We visited hotel briefly only to look around at lobby and gardens. However, if you drew a large enough perimeter around any location, you'd have included a spot where paranormal activity allegedly has been witnessed. Our "touches" happened prior to visiting the old classic hotel.

I have since spoken with manager/owner of the small ordinary hotel where I stayed. The hotel was built in early 1991. She stated that they have had some unusual experiences. Doors will sometimes open and close on their own. The bell will ring when no one is there. One night the front desk clerk was so annoyed that he bolted out door and ran around property determined to find pranksters. The strangest happening was when a small rubber ball appeared out of nowhere in the employee break room and bounced across the room. However, we have been the first guests to report being "touched." She claims that numerous establishments in the village have reported odd happenings.