Menu

any tips on how to get a kitten and dog to get along?

Bree

My dh rescued a little kitten...probably about 12 weeks old. We told the kids we weren't sure if we would keep it or find another home for it. It all depends on if we can get our dog to tolerate it and not try to eat it :) Our dog is a medium sized dog and very playful. Anyway, we have never had both cat and dog at the same time so wondering if anyone has some tips to help them tolerate each other :)

Have they met each other yet? We've had dogs and cats at the same, always the dog first and then getting the cat as a kitten. The dog never had a problem accepting a little kitten for some reason. (I think if it had been a full grown adult cat it would have been harder for the dog to accept.) I don't have a tip for that situation in particular, but because I'm working on other behavior issues with my dog right now (he gets real nervous with people he doesn't know), I've been reading about how to get your dog comfortable in new situations. One idea was to do special or fun things with your dog every time he is in that new situation, so that he starts to connect the new situation with the good thing happening to him. So in your case, it would mean giving your dog special attention, petting him, giving him treats, etc., when the kitten is in the same room. (But not if he is trying to attack the kitten, of course!) This seems to really be helping our dog with strangers; perhaps it would help your dog with the kitty. Another thing we've worked on with our dog is getting him to "settle" -- to relax and be still, when absolutely necessary. Perhaps you can work on that command with your dog, and use it when they are first getting to know each other.

Good luck! We had one dog and cat that had a really sweet relationship with each other. They always slept together on the same big pillow.

Introduce them slowly and with lots of supervision until you're absolutely sure they're okay together. I'd have the dog on leash for the first time or two, just in case. And don't under-estimate the kittens ability to hurt the dog. Kitten claws are sharp! Make it easy for each of them to get away from the other -- a sturdy, tall cat tree for kitten is preferable. And if your dog is crate trained and chooses to go in his crate voluntarily, make sure the kitten doesn't bother him when he's trying to rest. That may mean shutting the crate door, but if your dog wants to rest then he probably won't mind. Just make sure to not keep him in the crate too long so that he views it as a bad thing. Since your dog is playful, and kittens certainly are, there's probably a very good chance they'll get along fine.

One other thing I read/we did with ours was to spend some time petting first the kitten, then come pet the dog, letting the dog sniff the kitten smell on your hands and get familiar with it. Then pet the dog a ton and go back to the kitten. let the kitten sniff the dog smell and get familiar with it. Do this a bit, then introduce them slowly, with the dog on a leash at first the way Pawz4me suggested.

Best of luck!

We did introduce them last night. My dh held the kitten and Coco kinda jumped around dh while I stayed with her. The kitten just kinda hissed at her the whole time. Do you think after many repeat exposures the kitten will mellow some? It seems pretty calm so far and has survived all 4 of my kids so that is probably a huge adjustment for it so far anyway :)

This is how we always introduced cats to our dog and it has worked great. Put the cat in a cat carrier or cage of some sort so he is safe and they can't get to each other. Bring the dog into the room the carrier is in and get let him investigate it for a few minutes. Do this a few times a day, increasing the amount of time the dog is in the room. After the dog is out of the room make sure you give the cat lots of attention especially if the dog scared it. We have never had issues with our dogs eventually getting used to the cat, even though they still didn't like unknown cats. It may take a long time but eventually both animals will likely get used to one another

It is safer for all parties involved if you keep the cat in a carrier rather then holding it. Holding it while introducing them could actually make things worse because the cat gets used to having the security of you and may think since you are holding it that the dog is the one doing something bad even if its just being curious.

This knowledge comes from being a pet sitter for 8 year, getting a BS in Animal Science, working at a veterinary hospital and training many of my own animals.

I wouldn't hold the kitten during introductions. That's pretty dangerous (see my comment above about sharp kitten claws!). Either keep the dog on leash or keep the kitten in a carrier. Or both. Hissing is normal, and nothing to be overly concerned about.

I have nine cats and a cat killing dog. Tick will kill any strange cat but tolerates the ones she knows are mine. Last summer we found a tiny stray at the front door. With Tick I have to lay down the law and be very aggressive about it. (She's a heeler, they aren't very subtle dogs) Anyway, I hold the kitten and say "This is my cat, leave it". I make sure she sees me carrying it, holding it, smells my scent on it. I'll do this over and over, takes about two weeks.

At night the kitten slept in a crate next to my bed so that I could be absolutely sure she was safe. If I had to leave them both at home the kitten was crated. Eventually she accepts them but I watch closely for a long time.

You probably won't have that much trouble, but Tick is just an aggressive dog that unfortunately got a taste for killing (possums, fighting raccoons, etc) and she lumps strange cats into that category. But if she can accept a cat almost any dog can!

In my house, the cats have always been there first and cats rule the dogs. After all, no cat will eat a dog but a dog can eat a cat. My cats don't have front claws but if overly interested dogs come around too close, they whack the dog on the nose really hard. The dog doesn't come too close again.

Depending on how playful the dog it, it may have to learn what we call the "5 pointy ends rule." (which states that cats have 5 pointy ends and will use them if cornered - so beware). When we got our oldest cat (who was a stray taken in by the vet and about the same age as our dog - both were about 6 months old) the dog didn't want to leave the cat alone. He wasn't overly aggressive - just curious and wanting to sniff and such. The cat was not interested in this close contact. One day we had briefly stepped out of the room and suddenly heard a yelp from the dog - the cat had swiped him across the nose. Not deep or serious, but the dog learned real quick to leave the cat alone and they have now been fine together for 11 years.

I also agree with making sure they can get away from each other - personal space can be important for both dogs and cats.