Menu

I need some advice on history for 1st grade

Motsy802

Okay, before I say anything, let me preface all of this with the fact that I know everyone says you shouldn't do TOG before 5th grade or so because it's overkill. I get that. However, my oldest is starting 1st grade soon, and I want to plan ahead when choosing a curriculum. What I mean is that if I were to use SOTW (as a lot of people suggest for this age) then I feel like I'm locked into SOTW for 1st grade forever which isn't exactly convenient when my oldest is in middle/high school with younger ones in elementary grades. I would like to have them all in the same program then for convenience reasons. If my oldest gets to the older grades when I'm no longer doing SOTW with him, I'd have to go back and buy books and whatever is needed for the younger grades in order to keep them all in the same program. At that point it just seems like it would have made more sense to have started them all out in the program. Does that make sense? I know that I could do SOTW long-term for all grades, but I hate the SOTW model for the older grades. I need something that is laid out neatly for me and won't require me to make the lesson plans and do everything. I require more organization than that so SOTW is definitely not for me later. I've looked into TOG, BP, SL, and VP. I'm confused. I don't want to spend a fortune on it since I have 3 (soon to be 4) kids to educate, and this will only cover the history/literature subjects. I definitely want something biblical-based, and whatever I end up using in later grades is what I'd like to start with. I know that I might end up changing my mind later, but I'd like to at least have the intention to stick with whatever I choose for first grade. Recommendations? What would you do?

More than likely you WILL change your mind. Believe me. If you want something planned for you or to save you money, TOG is not it. TOG & BP both use SOTW by the way. I think if you are set on planning so far ahead, BP would be your best bet. It is planned out. It uses SOTW in the younger grades then other resources in later grades. If you use SOTW now your only added expense would be the AG. All the other programs are going to cost a lot, lot more with all the added books required, plus the very pricey teacher's guides. I agree that it is not a great idea to use SOTW for older grades (junior/high school), but it will not cost you more in the long run to use just SOTW now then something something else later, I promise. Who knows when they are older you might have more to spend. I highly caution you about planning so far ahead. You will change, your children will change, your ideas about what you want, how you want to teach, etc.... will all change.

ITA with Coral.

Plus, think of it this way--even if you used TOG, you are planning out levels. They are under the umbrella of TOG, but all the levels use different books and have different activities.

How far apart are your kids?

My vote will always be for Story of the World, but only for grades 1-4 (or 5, with supplementation). Perhaps you mean WTM, not SOTW?

Anyway, I had an excellent experience with SOTW for history, and I used history to practice handwriting, composition, copywork, and also as our main literature (historical fiction and nonfiction) for elementary.

I agree. You will find something that works later for logic stage or high school, but it will be over the heads of the youngers and you will be lesson planning and trying to find stuff to go along w/it at their level. You can just do SOTW again with them at that time. You will also see that as they get to the logic stage a lot of it is reading and writing on their own, so you will be free to keep up SOTW readings w/the littles.

I did all of the projects and such the first time through w/my 1st 1st grader. Now, in our 2nd time through SOTW I hardly do any, as we have so many other subjects and things going on. One or two go along way, and the older jumps in and does it w/us when/if we do one. She also gleans from listening to me read SOTW aloud again, as it has been 4 yrs since she heard it.

There are cheaper alternatives too, that IMO don't require a lot of lesson planning for logic stage anyway. Classical House of Learning Lit is free online, just print out the plans and hit the library or Amazon. WTM style history just requires a few things to start like an encyclopedia, maps to color, and a library trip once a week. I don't plan past the initial learning curve to get us started at the beginning. Now dd knows what to do.

I understand all of the points you ladies mentioned, and I've thought about them all already. What I mean about not liking SOTW for older grades is the WTM version. That's just not something I'm interested in doing. I realize that TOG is not ALL planned out for me so I do nothing. I'm actually friends with the VP of TOG who also owns Bookshelf Central so we've been over all of this multiple times. But with the WTM you are doing everything with nothing to go on. At least with TOG you're given a schedule and frame to work with. I need at least that. So what do you recommend for going to after 5th, out of curiosity? Another thing I don't like about SOTW is that it's not as heavily Bible-based as I'd like. There's not as much in the way of church history either as some other plans, which I wouldn't use so much in 1st grade, but would like to add in more for later elementary grades.

Also, as I understand it from my friend at TOG, you don't do lower grammar the same when you have children in the lower grades. While they are doing SOME things that are specific to their age-level, a lot of it is learning from listening to what the older children are doing so it's not really doing tons of activities and books for each child in each stage.

What I've read about it in the WTM seemed extremely overwhelming and not very direct. It didn't really give you a specific subject or topic to read. It just seemed too disorganized to me, and I need something more organized telling me exactly what we're supposed to be doing from week-to-week.

I don't know if you're interested in this but I have a plan laid out on my blog for 1-9 grades using SOTW as the spine (along with other books, depending on the year). I have Early American History on there already, here's a link to the first of three terms for that one: http://themommywriter.blogspot.com/2013/04/free-charlotte-masonliving-bookshands.html I also have Middle Ages to Reformation there (term three goes up on Monday's blog post). Here's a link for the first of three terms for that one as well: http://themommywriter.blogspot.com/2013/04/free-charlotte-masonliving-bookshands_23.html I'm also in the process of working on Ancients now. I'm hoping to have Ancients through Early American History all on there by the end of the summer. I just wanted to throw out a free option (though you do have to gather books of course). Just a thought! :)

So, I'm in your boat and had similar thoughts. I am planning on using TOG in the future. It really has everything I am looking for... literature-based, biblically grounded, activities, all levels, etc, etc, etc. So what to use this year? I know that SOTW is great for this age, but I was not feeling it. I just knew it wouldn't get done. I can't say why, that is just how I feel. I was really leaning towards Sonlight. I was planning on a couple of cores for my oldest, then switching to TOG.

Then it hit me... why am I buying something that I will never use again? If I am going to use TOG later, then why not buy it know, do TOG-light this year, get comfortable with the setup, and have the ability to read ahead if I want.

So, I bit the bullet and I am so happy. We haven't started, yet, but it has the right level of hand holding I need, plus the right level of planning that I enjoy. It has a buffet that I work well with and I am already getting a feel for how the program works. I have to say that I haven't experienced the "fog" that everyone warns about because I don't have anything to stress and worry about! If we fall behind or dont get to something, its not a big deal because my children will cycle through it so many more times.

Can one say it is too big of an investment if you aren't using it to the fullest THIS YEAR? I don't think so. I know I am going to get my money out of it in the end.

So, I'm in your boat and had similar thoughts. I am planning on using TOG in the future. It really has everything I am looking for... literature-based, biblically grounded, activities, all levels, etc, etc, etc. So what to use this year? I know that SOTW is great for this age, but I was not feeling it. I just knew it wouldn't get done. I can't say why, that is just how I feel. I was really leaning towards Sonlight. I was planning on a couple of cores for my oldest, then switching to TOG.

Then it hit me... why am I buying something that I will never use again? If I am going to use TOG later, then why not buy it know, do TOG-light this year, get comfortable with the setup, and have the ability to read ahead if I want.

So, I bit the bullet and I am so happy. We haven't started, yet, but it has the right level of hand holding I need, plus the right level of planning that I enjoy. It has a buffet that I work well with and I am already getting a feel for how the program works. I have to say that I haven't experienced the "fog" that everyone warns about because I don't have anything to stress and worry about! If we fall behind or dont get to something, its not a big deal because my children will cycle through it so many more times.

Can one say it is too big of an investment if you aren't using it to the fullest THIS YEAR? I don't think so. I know I am going to get my money out of it in the end.

Thank you! I think I was starting to feel like I was alone in my thoughts on this. Do you mind me asking, what you did buy as far as books are concerned to keep it light?

I believe strongly in self-education. If YOU like TOG, I think self-educating yourself with the older lessons, and then merely talking with your child about the topics YOU are learning about is usually enough. The teacher can be the textbook when she knows enough. Waldorf and Principal Approach both use the "teacher is the textbook" approach. You can prepare homemade copywork for the student to copy based on your studies.

Most people don't stick with a curriculum long-term, but some do. You might be one of them. Doing a dry run now, would be a big benefit when you do the later cycles back through the curriculum.

In the past I've used Students of the Word and it is a 6 year cycle that the younger children don't benefit from directly as much as the older students, but the family works together. Like TOG it has a high drop out rate and takes some work and self-education on the part of the teacher. Having the mom work through the older lessons while taking the young students along for the ride prepares the teacher for when she need to teach it for real.

They really don't have many books lined up each week for lower grammar. On average, there are about 3 books listed. Most are easy story books that are great read alouds. We have always read way more than this during the week.

For lower grammar level, you can easily substitute books. The only reason you would need an exact book is if it is tied to questions from a student activity page. There are very few books that are needed for the SAPS and not every week has a student activity page for the lower grammar level. I made sure I had a copy of the ones tied with these pages. After I had those in hand, I checked my library, the local used bookstore, and Abe books online for either the book they recommend, or compatible titles. We read a lot, so even with all the ones they recommend each week, we will still have to add in additional read alouds.

In the sense of doing it light, I am not going to feel bad if I don't get to something during the week. I have a schedule and we will get to everything that time allows. I am the exact opposite of a box checker, in that regard.

Here is an article that really helped my confirm my convictions.

This was exactly my thought process when I ultimately chose TOG. I used TOG quite happily for 3 years starting when my oldest was 6, but started to feel burnt out this year. We have been on a TOG break (using HOD) since Christmas, but I plan to head back to TOG. I am usually one to recommend holding off on TOG until 5th grade because I think this is best for most families. That still leaves a group out there that will find TOG to be a great choice even in the earlier grades. OP, you sound well informed; TOG might be a great choice for right now.

I also did TOG "light" which means that I read the lg core history books each week. We would do a notebook page (illustration and caption of 1 sentence to 1 paragraph depending on age) once per week. I assigned the lit for the 2 kids that were old enough. Any other listed book from the main list or alternative list that my library carried (lg and ug) would be thrown into a "book basket" for free reading. We also did about one project per unit. I started to beef it up, and that is when I got burnt out. I should have stuck to my "TOG light".

I've struggled with this a bit myself. I think that for 1st grade you really don't need to hit history hard. You're just introducing them to history. Important people, events, etc... If I could start over again... (ha! Who doesn't say that?) I would use SOTW audio cd's, with some casual notebooking. That's it. My kids love listening to audiobooks, sometimes while they do things like handwriting practice or copywork, and in the car. Sometimes I think they remember more from those than from when I read! And then I would add in some literature that fits the time period as well. Nothing strenuous.

If you are doing a program with older students, I would use that outline and find books that are age appropriate that fit into that timeline. Keep it light and casual. The 3 R's are really the crucial things in the early years.

I was also concerned with the lack of Biblical events in SOTW. I am jumping into the classical history cycle next year with one child in 2nd and one in 4th. I plan to jump into two different 3 year programs once my eldest hits 7th. So I have 3 years. We've done a bit of American History already, so I'm going to start with Ancients this year and when we get to modern, combine the two volumes into one year. To make up for the lack of biblical history covered, I am going to use the God's Great Covenant bible study as well. It can serve as both history and bible. Plus I think my kids would both really enjoy it. They can pull it all together a bit more once they get into the next two cycles.

This was exactly my thought process when I ultimately chose TOG. I used TOG quite happily for 3 years starting when my oldest was 6, but started to feel burnt out this year. We have been on a TOG break (using HOD) since Christmas, but I plan to head back to TOG. I am usually one to recommend holding off on TOG until 5th grade because I think this is best for most families. That still leaves a group out there that will find TOG to be a great choice even in the earlier grades. OP, you sound well informed; TOG might be a great choice for right now.

I also did TOG "light" which means that I read the lg core history books each week. We would do a notebook page (illustration and caption of 1 sentence to 1 paragraph depending on age) once per week. I assigned the lit for the 2 kids that were old enough. Any other listed book from the main list or alternative list that my library carried (lg and ug) would be thrown into a "book basket" for free reading. We also did about one project per unit. I started to beef it up, and that is when I got burnt out. I should have stuck to my "TOG light".

I also plan on doing notebooking pages. I got this bundle from Currclick becasue I wasn't ready to splurge on her lifetime membership right now.

As far as doing it lightly, I also should add that I only looked at their main book list, not any recommendations, unless the week looked REALLY thin.

I understand all of the points you ladies mentioned, and I've thought about them all already. What I mean about not liking SOTW for older grades is the WTM version. That's just not something I'm interested in doing. I realize that TOG is not ALL planned out for me so I do nothing. I'm actually friends with the VP of TOG who also owns Bookshelf Central so we've been over all of this multiple times. But with the WTM you are doing everything with nothing to go on. At least with TOG you're given a schedule and frame to work with. I need at least that. So what do you recommend for going to after 5th, out of curiosity? Another thing I don't like about SOTW is that it's not as heavily Bible-based as I'd like. There's not as much in the way of church history either as some other plans, which I wouldn't use so much in 1st grade, but would like to add in more for later elementary grades.

It sounds like you are pretty set in wanting to use TOG. :) I'll just throw in there that when my son was in K, I was SET on using TOG the whole way through. I was going to buy it (I even started collecting some of the books) and I will tell you, a few years later, it's not even on my radar anymore. So, it's good that you say you are open to change your mind. I think I've changed mine, um, 50 million times! :p To address your question above, a lot of people switch to Mystery of History for 5th. If you are really looking to combine your kids, you may want to take a peak at My Father's World, too; it is good for combining and has a very strong Christian foundation.(And of course, I'm partial to Heart of Dakota!) I do understand the appeal of TOG, however, and if you pray about it and feel it's for your family, go for it!

Well, if TOG in elementary is overkill, then we doing double overkill, because we use SOTW and TOG! I researched TOG for 6 months before I bought it. I ordered every book from every level in the 3-week sample so that I could get a feel for how much I could use the library. I have a dd that is really into history. (I mean, she was so excited that her brother let her wear his Bulls cap, because it has a minotaur on it, lol.) We read every single book, including alternates in the TOG list, plus we listen to SOTW audio CD's all the time. It makes sense for us to invest in TOG, because by the time we get to high school, I will be hard pressed to find anything that will engage her and challenge her in history.

I don't know if you're interested in this but I have a plan laid out on my blog for 1-9 grades using SOTW as the spine (along with other books, depending on the year). I have Early American History on there already, here's a link to the first of three terms for that one: http://themommywrite...bookshands.html I also have Middle Ages to Reformation there (term three goes up on Monday's blog post). Here's a link for the first of three terms for that one as well: http://themommywrite...kshands_23.html I'm also in the process of working on Ancients now. I'm hoping to have Ancients through Early American History all on there by the end of the summer. I just wanted to throw out a free option (though you do have to gather books of course). Just a thought! :)

I have been looking at various history programs and I've looked at yours before too. Is there a reason why you start with SOTW 3 instead of SOTW 1? Or does it even matter what order as I see you are working on Ancients now? Thanks!

I have been looking at various history programs and I've looked at yours before too. Is there a reason why you start with SOTW 3 instead of SOTW 1? Or does it even matter what order as I see you are working on Ancients now? Thanks!

My kids did SOTW2 this year (I have posted the first 2 of 3 terms at this point and term 3 goes up on Monday) and are now moving on to SOTW3 this coming school year, which was what I shared first. That's why I started at the third volume. :) I had put all of our plans together and thought others might be interested as well. Then after sharing our "year 3" plans, people expressed an interest in what we did with Middle Ages THIS year, so I put that together as well and shared it. Now I'm in the process of organizing what we did for Ancients (I'm working through chapter 14 of SOTW1 at this point, focusing on Ancient Egypt which we LOVED here). So really it's my own disorganized organization at its finest I suppose! :lol:

What I've read about it in the WTM seemed extremely overwhelming and not very direct. It didn't really give you a specific subject or topic to read. It just seemed too disorganized to me, and I need something more organized telling me exactly what we're supposed to be doing from week-to-week.

I'm not trying to sell you on it, but that's exactly what it does: lists specific topics to cover in history each year. That's ALL the earliest editions did, because SOTW didn't exist yet.